crafting a meaningful home by meg mateo ilasco

I’m a huge fan of Meg Mateo Ilasco. Not only is she an amazing artist, mother and businesswoman, but she’s also one heck of an author. After the success of Craft, Inc. and Creative, Inc., you’d think she might take a break, but not Meg. She was working on another book the whole time — an amazing new book of family-inspired crafts that just hit the shelves called Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories and Celebrate Family Heritage (STC).

Crafting a Meaningful Home goes beyond traditional DIY books to tell the family stories behind each person’s craft project. From braided rag vessels and rugs to flags and gilded lamps, each project not only introduces you to a new person and their crafty skills but also lets you get to know them through a family tradition. I really love this spin on DIY and think it’s so meaningful to hear the reasons why certain artists make the things they make. I, for one, loved hearing about Joy’s early aversion to the color gold (because of how often it’s used in her family’s native Thailand) and how a trip to Thailand in 1999 made her finally fall in love with it. I can’t imagine Joy not loving metallics, so it was fun to get that little tidbit about her earlier design tastes. Meg’s book is full of great stories like that, not to mention tips for turning your own family’s traditions into a project for your home. If you’re looking for a great holiday gift or just some inspiration for crafting with family over the holidays, this is a fantastic choice. You can pick up a copy of Crafting a Meaningful Home right here for $16.47. Congrats to Meg on the beautiful new book! All photos above by Thayer Allyson Gowdy. xo, grace

Below is a video that Thayer made with Meg to celebrate the launch of the book. You can see some of the people and projects from the book in the video, as well. Enjoy!

Crafting a Meaningful Home from Meg Mateo Ilasco on Vimeo.

1. Veronica says:

Thank you for showing this book! I have the two Meg Mateo Ilasco’s books too.
    Hugs,
    Veronica

2. susan says:

Beautiful work and so much fun to see the video!

3. Kohli says:

Amazing, i can’t wait to pick one up. I love the video, but I do have to ask, does Meg ever sleep? She is an inspiration.
    Best,
    Kohli

4. Katy says:

I bow down to everything Meg Mateo Ilasco!

5. Meg’s the best. I love participating in this book myself. This video is fantastic. I especially loved seeing Anna and Sean create their cool project!

6. Wow – this looks like a beautiful book. I love the philosophy behind it all.

7. who are the artist/bands that made up the soundtrack, they are so beautiful?

8. KelliJ says:

I just want to live in this video. The music…the images…it’s all so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this. It made my day a lot brighter.

9. thanks for your sweet words about the book & film! i actually don’t know who the artists are for the music (thayer picked them)–i’ll see if i can find out.

and yes, i do sleep…a little. ;)

meg

10. If you don’t blink, you can see the lower half of my RVee vase on Meg’s shelf! So proud! Congratulations to Meg and everyone who contributed to the book! It looks so so beautiful.

11. Jessica says:

How exciting to see two of my favorite people tending their garden, Chika&Jean!

12. The amazing new look of family-inspired crafts. A great holiday gift or just some inspiration for crafting with family over the holidays, this is a fantastic choice.
    Very useful to home decoration.

13. I’m remember reading Craft inc and loving it. It was one of those books i just couldn’t put down. There were just so many tips and tricks that i hope i can use that will help me as i build up my small business. I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on this latest one for Meg and can’t wait to read what she has to offer.