before & after: sarah’s dining room

I don’t have a dining room, but if I did, I would want it to have some drama. After all, if I’m going to devote a whole room to an activity I usually do sitting in front of the television, it better be compelling :) I’m kidding, but not about the drama part — whether with a chandelier, a big piece of wall art or amazing textiles, my dream dining room makes a statement.

This dining room makeover from Sarah is definitely high drama. She took a once-dreary window with sad blinds and transformed it into a wall of gorgeous textile heaven. I love her mixture of prints, the dark walls, the oversized mirror and the elegant, minimal chairs. It’s all working for me. She even painted her own Cy Twombly-inspired artwork, which turned out quite well! Sarah made some shrewd decorating decisions and I’m blown away by the impressive transformation. Great work, Sarah! — Kate

1. Christine says:

i am dying over that CHEVRON RUG!!! i cant decide between that rug in my dining room or a light teal version of curtains in my living room…AHHHHH but this is gorgeous with the HUGE MIRROR…just gorg.

2. Tammy says:

LOVE IT! It looks fabulous!

3. That dining room is spectacular! Wonderful wonderful redo. I could have many a fine meal with excellent company in a space like that. Bravo!

4. Ashleigh says:

What a transformation!

5. Wow that is a beautiful transformation! I love the Ghost chair with the fabric chairs, adds a little drama.

6. What a gorgeous room. I especially love the ghost chairs flanking the table, and the large leaner mirror. Great job!

7. Lisa says:

I love really dark walls (with white trim of course) in a dining room. Gives it such a nice, intimate feeling.

8. Rebecca Wilson says:

Amazing transformation! I love it!

9. Bridget says:

I can’t believe it’s the same room

10. Kristan says:

Incredible transformation! I love how she creates the illusion of a larger window with those curtains, and isn’t that the same dining table? It’s amazing how different it looks when placed in a new context.

11. Sean says:

Same room, same furniture, different camera. Right?

12. Christin says:

Woah! this transformation is almost unbelievable! Great, GREAT job on a beautiful room.

13. Ariana says:

Fantastic! I love that it is so light now, with the chandelier and big mirror. The first picture was so dreary. Even the slate floor looks great, with the rug and new lighting.

14. marisa says:

wow! i am totally LOVING that rug and the mirror. did she DIY the trim on the mirror?

15. Erin says:

This is stunning. I would love to know where the fabric for the curtains came from…they’re perfect.

16. Stephanie says:

This is amazing. Love the mirror. Anyone know where it’s from? Great job on this redo! It looks like another house! ;)

17. audrey marie says:

wow! gorgeous! and i love the extra touch of glamor the ghost chair adds.

18. Julia says:

Love it! This gives me hope for every crappy apartment I look at!

19. What a dramatic difference! Love that big mirror too!

20. So dramatic! Love the mix of patterns in the rug and curtains!

21. Quatre says:

The drapes were really well placed. Can’t fault the choice of rug either, it really ties the room together.

22. Emily says:

I second the use of curtains to totally change that window wall – it makes such a difference…thinking this might be a good idea for my dining room.

23. Oh Hellooooo, that is GORGEOUS! I adore the chevron rug!

24. Love it, very beautiful and gorgeous.

25. Nina says:

Absolutely stunning. Very brave but highly effective to use those bold colours and patterns together in one room. And that mirror is superb. Wonderful job, very inspirational!

26. Sharon says:

You have solved the very last dilemma I’ve been facing in my new apartment. I couldn’t visualize exactly how I wanted to hang my curtains. Bless your heart!

27. Tracey says:

That rug is FIERCE, and exactly what I’ve been looking for to jazz up my boring dining room. Do you remember where you got it?

28. Lauren says:

Wow! The transformation is unrecognizable. It looks amazing!

I love that b&w chevron rug! And that centerpiece!

29. Karen says:

Love the carpet and the drapes. I thought I was ok with my dining room but seeing this makes me want to out and get drapes. What a difference! Love the mirror too. Love it ALL!

30. Erin says:

Beautiful, Sarah! I’m curious, did you use a stain on that table? I love the rich color!

31. sarahp says:

hi there,
    where did you get the chandelier? i’ve been looking for one like this…thanks!

32. Kira says:

Looks fabulous! Where’s the rug from?

33. Melissa says:

Love the room! Could you run down where the items are from? I like the table and curtains most of all, but the rug ties the chairs in so well.

34. Jennifer says:

Any idea where that black and cream zig zag carpet is from? I LOVE IT

35. Erin says:

It looks like the rug is the zigzag rug from west elm.

36. Malia says:

Love the curtains and rug! Where are they from?

37. Circa1972 says:

I love everything about it, except for the mirror. I’m not sure why. Is that BM’s “Iron Mountain” paint? I loooove the paint choice and your moulding is amazing. Restoration Hardware has a version of this chandelier, called the Sloane, but I’m sure you could find something comparable at CSN Lighting.

38. I am impressed as usual with some of the before and after sample, my choice has to be the sofa, what a difference!!!

39. Mary says:

Lovely! Yes, more info on the curtains please!

40. Hi,
    I’m Sarah, and THIS IS MY DINING ROOM! Check out my blog for all the details on where I got my furniture! Thanks for all of your lovely comments!

41. Bren says:

This is pure awesomeness. Love the textures and colors.

42. Now that is an unbelievable transformation! Love the dramatic change, chevron rug, patterned curtains, and a table that seats 8 comfortably. Amazing!

43. Erika says:

The room looks great except the Ghost chairs. They get lost, and in a bad way. Am I the only one who thinks this??

44. Anastasia says:

What a dramatic change! Love the dark walls. Nice job…

45. I love the before and after pictures. It’s inspiring me to design a website specifically for this purpose. This new designs just bring new life to old things. It gives me hope that we are a group of creative innovators that will pave the way to a better future. :)

46. Patrick says:

Exquisite transformation. I am really impressed with this. The materials used, the color choices, the textures, the accessories, the furniture, everything. I’m saving these images to my hard drive so when I redo my dining room I have a solid plan.

Question: who is the artist of the painting on the wall?

47. Patrick – I am the artist of the painting on the wall! :) I’m so glad you like my dining room. Thanks for your lovely comments. Check out my blog for more information.

48. orangesugar says:

Love the art on the wall as well. Any chance you have an etsy shop?