before & after: molly’s sofa + lisa’s dog house

I know we’ve featured several before & afters with textile patterns from skinny la minx, but I continue to love the many ways in which people use the fabrics to create such different results. This love seat from Molly is a great new addition to the list. The “before” image of this sofa is truly frightening — this looks like it’s been sitting on the curb for weeks in bad weather, and frankly, I’m not sure I would tackle stripping this piece. The frame shape is nice, though, and I’m amazed with the crisp, cheery new personality of this little sofa. I love the unexpected brown piping, as well. Great job, Molly! — Kate

As someone who does a lot of online window shopping, I can safely say that, while pet needs are beginning to attract the attention of modern designers, the majority of pet accessories leave something to be desired, visually. I’m looking forward to the day when I can go to a standard pet shop and not have to walk through aisles of beige carpeted monstrosities. I’d much rather see more designs, like this little doggy nook by Lisa made out of an old side table. Thanks to the fresh white paint, the piece has not only lost some of its clunkiness, but it also provides a chic side table and hidden resting spot for her dachshund Toby. Great transformation, Lisa!

1. stephanie says:

both of them are so adorable! i have a dachshund named tobey who looks just like that little guy , maybe i should make him a bed too!

2. giardino says:

I love both of these, so clever and very well done!

3. Robin says:

That before and after dog bed is genius!!! I have try that for my little Olive! Love it……..

4. Jen says:

These are two really terrific before and afters…Not sure which I like better, they’re both great! The doghouse might be good for cats, too…or even litterboxes. Hm.

You are right about “beige-carpeted monstrosities”. My poor feline overlords (it is a benign dictatorship) have been in pretty desperate need of a new scratching post/tower, but they are all SO HIDEOUS…even some of the $$$ ‘designer’ ones (many of them not offering enough ‘scratch room’ for one of our cats, who is rather tall). I think we’ll be DIYing it after Christmas. Maybe if it is nice we’ll start selling them. lol

5. hi-d says:

Amazing upholstery job! The way that the pattern matches and flows on the back cushions. Beautiful work!

6. Skaie says:

I absolutely love this project. It’s totally doable and there are tons of these old side-tables yearning to be transformed into something useful! Love it, love it!

7. Ha Uyen says:

It’s incredible how you’ve changed the nasty love seat into an adorable one. I also love the pattern very much. So amazing!

8. that dog bed side table is fantastic.

9. Annie says:

Thanks for the idea! I found this side table at Goodwill for 7.99 and turned it into a nook for my doggies and kitty!

10. Sonny says:

Ahhhhh! I LOVE your doggy!!! I saw the before of the couch and thought that wont look cool no matter how its covered I was wrong. It looks great! I’ve been trawling this site for months and never made comment before, for some reason a before and after of a cool couch and dog has got me. I guess I like that you saw something in this couch even through its hideousness!! Me likey!