before & after: jamie + brad’s kitchen tables

I have a weakness for mismatched chairs, so I’m feeling seriously envious of Jake and Jamie’s kitchen setup. We featured their amazing headboard before and after several months ago, and this stenciled kitchen table is another example of the pair’s clever and resourceful approach to decorating. Inspired by one of Barb’s “Before and After Basics” tutorials, Jamie and Jake used their favorite font, Bodoni Poster italic, to create the modern graphic tabletop. They also refinished the wood and applied a fresh coat of bright, white paint to the legs and base (which you can see in progress here). I love the results! Great job, Jamie and Jake! — Kate

The second kitchen table makeover uses one of my all-time favorite materials: plywood. With a little sanding and a coat or two of stain, plywood can look about as rich and beautiful as any hardwood out there, in my opinion. Brad found this lovely 50s-style table and decided to use a layer of plywood to give it a lovely wood top. I love the look of the dark woodgrain and the vintage metal base. Brad is no stranger to good vintage, though. Per my discussion about the lack of pretty pet beds in the following post, you should check out Brad’s beautiful pet beds made from recycled vintage suitcases. Great work, Brad! — Kate

1. Sarah Lynne says:

I love the addition of “EAT” to the table!

2. donaville says:

the wood top on the 2nd makeover looks amazing.

3. Very clever, and nice. The two tables look great.

4. Both beautiful, but I’m enamored especially with the second make-over. That looks like a very expensive wood table. Inspiring!

5. Mikebdesign says:

I think the first one would have looked great without the shouty lettering if the chairs were organized symmetrically and the photo taken from further away.

Second one looks fantastic!

6. Lindy says:

The plywood top is beautiful. And the dog beds, well, brilliant. I am on my way to the attic to get my old green american tourister to make beds for my little chewers.

7. Sue says:

Wow! Impressive transformation with the plywood top! Looks great!

8. Natalie says:

I love mis-matched chairs too!

9. Kendra says:

I love before and afters!!!

10. claudine says:

Today’s overall before and afters were some of the best I’ve seen on this site in some time. The side table was a particular challenge – who would have seen a dog bed in that!!

11. christina says:

wow! That second table literally just made my heart go pitter-patter. love how rich the plywood looks. amazing!

12. nathalie says:

beautiful before and afters. i particularly like the EAT table.