before & after: elizabeth’s + rebecca’s mirrors

This window-makeover project makes me want to run to the store immediately and grab some mirrored glass spray. And we all know how I feel about fireplaces (I want one!). So it’s safe to say that I’m in love with the way Elizabeth has repurposed this ornate window into a stunning statement piece to hang over her mantle. Luckily, Elizabeth has provided full instructions on her site for how to recreate this project, including tips on how to use her three-hook hanging system, which I must say, looks lovely. Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth! — Kate

Have a Before & After you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please!)

You can’t take one step in my local garden center without bumping into something that looks identical to this metal sun piece, which is why I usually try to avoid going there. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the occasional curated collection of purely decorative objects in a garden, but they can be a bit irritating en masse. Rebecca was able to spot the beauty within this beast, and for that I applaud her. With a simple paint job and a change of face (literally), this sad sun — well maybe not sad, but definitely cross-eyed — is now a retro starburst-style mirror. Not only does it look expensive, but it’s versatile, chic and useful as well. Great work, Rebecca!

1. Ashley says:

The first mirror is beyond gorgeous! What an amazing reuse!

2. I am in love with Elizabeth’s too!! Great make over!

3. Where can I find mirrored glass spray? That is simply amazing!

4. Samantha says:

I can’t believe I was unaware that mirror glass exists. I’m swooning, and, incidentally, headed straight for the home improvement store when I leave work…

5. That first mirror is amazing!

6. Sing says:

Both of these are great makeovers.

7. I posted on my blog today a tutorial about how to make a sunburst like the third one…
    It turned out better than I had expected!

8. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for the comments everyone! I did the first mirror. Monica and Samantha, I found the spray paint (Krylon’s looking Glass) at a big art store (Sam Flax) here in Atlanta, and I bet that Michael’s carries it. I haven’t yet seen it at any hardware stores. Thanks again, yall!

9. jenni o says:

wow, I have this exact same salvaged window, and now I know what to do with it! Thank you!

10. What a great idea- it looks fabulous!!

11. Sharinaz says:

i love both of these! awesomeness!

elizabeth could have chosen to just hang it the regular ‘ol way of hanging (aka: behind the mirror) but choosing to let the wires show and creating a pattern that simultaneously matches & compliment the patterns of the window frame is an excellent design choice!

rebecca’s choice to hide the creepy sun is the best thing she could have done! simplicity at its best! :)

12. The vintage window-turned-mirror is hugely inspiring. What a brilliant idea! I love the way it’s hung too — simple and elegant. Now where to find an old window? ;) Great work, Elizabeth!

13. Can’t believe I’d never heard of mirror glass spray until now?! The possibilities are endless…thanks for the inspiration!

14. Jemia says:

yeah, i’d never heard of mirror glass spray either. need to keep that in my mental inventory of ideas!

15. Ban Clothing says:

What a great design decision. I love the vintage piece with the modern fireplace. A great mix of old and new.

16. So transformative! Like some of the others, I too was unaware you could buy this, now I’ll be looking for ways to use it everywhere :)

17. Shannon Orr says:

Absolutely going to make one of these!! Can’t wait until I find the right kind of window…and spray mirroring…who knew! Thanks.

18. katsola says:

So nice. I am on the search for a bell jar just like the one with the pumpkin, even with the bottom piece. Where can I find?

19. R. Pyper says:

Katsola, I bought my cloche and its base at Taipan Trading —

20. Cobb says:

Rebecca, how did you detached the sun’s face while keeping the sunburst intact?

21. R. Pyper says:

I didn’t — I just flipped the entire thing over and glued the mirror to the back. I have a tutorial on my blog:

22. Kjersti says:

Loved that mirror!!!

23. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question- it’s much appreciated!

24. Catel says:

Love both the mirror creations! Also, found the squash in the yellow bowl amusing, as I thought the whole arrangement was some kind of a bird . . . subliminal wabi-sabi?

25. Dulcie says:

That mirror is just gorgeous and I am in love with the fireplace/mantel as well! Really lovely.

26. oh wow… that window/mirror is gorgeous!

27. I’ve got an old window frame that was just waiting for the perfect use – I think this is it!