before & after: dining room + play kitchen

I love to see people using rooms for things other than their customary purpose. Corissa and Kris needed a place to dine, and since they have no space for a table in their kitchen, they decided to turn a spare bedroom into a dining room. For a “formal” dining room, this has a great casual style. I’ve been a little timid about painting my walls a dark color, but this is another example of how successful it can be. Great work, Corissa! — Kate

When I was little, I was obsessed with fake food. In one of our family albums, we have a photograph of me at age three, dancing with glee behind a small shopping cart of plastic food wares. I would be lying if I said that I’d completely outgrown this childhood love, and when I saw this adorable play kitchen from Amy, I had a very strong desire to break out my old shopping cart and regress for a few hours. Click here to read more about how Amy’s parents turned this old TV table into a lovely repurposed play kitchen for their granddaughter and Amy’s daughter, Milla. Thanks for sharing this with us, Amy!

1. What a great play kitchen! I love it!!!

2. Libby says:

Turning the old entertainment center into a child’s kitchen… GENIUS!

3. shelley says:

The play kitchen is one of the most amazingly cute transformations I’ve seen in a long time! I see those old entertainment units all the time at Goodwill for a song. Now all I need is a grandchild….

4. Lauren says:

I would have never left that kitchen as a kid! Love it!!!

5. This is just about the best example of a makeover I’ve ever seen!! SOOO clever, and beautifully executed!!! Proof that with imagination, you can make something wondeful from nothung!!!

6. karen cheung says:

what really struck me about this was how amazingly generous people can be – to make that wonderful thing just for your grandchild is the best thing about the project. Thanks for sharing!

7. Shannon says:

I love them both. I would love a diningroom like that and the kitchen is adorable!!!

8. Lisa says:

Is that play kitchen amazing or what??!! The inclusion of a refrigerator makes it perfect. Fabulous job!

9. Jean says:

Wow, both transformations are beautiful, but the play kitchen is ingenious! Amazing! I want to be a little again.

10. Lynn says:

That play kitchen could not be cuter. And darn, we had one of those entertainment centers that we sold for almost nothing!

11. Sibylle says:

The kitchen is adorable!!!! we did a DIY supermarket/grocery store for our daughter last summer. it turned out well:-)

12. pjillett says:

excellent! am jealous

13. Angie says:

Too funny–the play kitchen is almost exactly like the one my husband and I made about 4 years ago: The best part about using a TV cabinet is that it lasts forever–ours is still in great shape in spite of surviving two very boisterous girls!

14. Sara says:

LOVe the play kitchen!!!! such a creative idea.

15. Kristi says:

This is the most creative project I’be Ever seen! Kudos! This is literally mind blowing! Can’t wait to follow;)

16. Sugar says:

Both of those projects are beyond fantastic!

17. kris says:

I love this, love it so much. I think I need to do this one.

18. Jenya says:

Black wall – wow! I never thought about having a full/partial black wall, but it looks impressive and very unusual.

19. Betty says:

OMGosh! I love this…I can’t wait to find an old cabinet to make over!

20. Stephanie says:

Amazing transformation on the play kitchen! Love it! I may need to go to our local 2nd hand store to find an old, inexpensive TV unit!

21. Renske says:

Love the play kitchen! I want that too!!!!

22. I like specially the kitchen designs. After reading this post i have decided to make my own kitchen like it. Thanks for sharing with us!