2010 design*sponge scholarship!

Today I am thrilled to announce the 2010 D*S Scholarship is live! Since I started Design*Sponge back in 2004, it has always been my first priority to celebrate beautiful design from artists and designers of all ages. I’ll never forget the first Pratt student show I attended and being struck by the overwhelming amount of talent that I saw in those young designers. From that moment on I knew it would be part of my mission to support and celebrate these up-and-coming designers. Not only because they could use our help, but because they were going to become the people we were writing about and being inspired by for years to come. So today I’m thrilled to kick off our third scholarship today with $10,000 to donate to both undergraduate and graduate students. Here are the details:

We will be awarding eight prizes:

Undergraduate Student Awards: 1st Place ($2,500), 2nd Place ($1,500), 3rd Place ($750), and 4th Place ($250)

Graduate Student Awards: 1st Place ($2,500) 2nd Place ($1,500) 3rd Place ($750) 4th Place ($250)

The scholarship is open to any art & design students are are currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or graduate programs (Proof of enrollment is required). This year we will be opening the scholarship to international students as well! Please note: all payments will be made in US dollars.

A big thank you to our sponsors this year: Glos and Room & Board. Glos has kindly provided our first place prizes for both undergraduate and graduate students and Room & Board has kindly provided our second place prizes for both undergraduate and graduate students. All remaining prizes will be supplied by Design*Sponge.

In addition, Glos will be giving all finalists (undergraduate and graduate) the opportunity to develop a collection of creative surface coverings to be sold through Julia Rothman has designed a flyer for the 2010 Scholarship that you can print out right here and post on your class room walls or places where students gather in your area. Thanks so much to Julia for helping us out with this year’s flyer and artwork and thank you to everyone for helping us spread the work! xo, grace

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL DETAILS AND ENTER. Applications are due Wednesday, December 8th by 11:59 PM EST.

1. Peaches says:

Great idea! Send some good out in the world AND see all kinds of exciting new work along the way….Bravo!

Makes me wish I was back in art school. Can’t wait to see the winners :)

2. Really great of you to out this together for a great cause. And might I say that is a mighty fine illustration.

I will be on the look for for the winners!

3. Toni Marie says:

Oh, I really want to apply. I noticed on the areas of study section that general art wasn’t listed. Can I apply if I do drawings such as botanical and nature type illustrations or is the scholarship only for design students?

toni

oh you definitely can- i’ll go make sure that’s clear on the page :)

g

4. Samhain Moon says:

Someone very lucky is going to be made preeeeetty happy.

Great motivation!

5. Angie says:

Sounds like an awesome opportunity! I will spread the word. Are these scholarships available to students living in Canada/abroad as well?

thanks angie

and yep- it says international in the post above- i’m excited to finally expand it to all students this year :)

grace

6. Thank you for your dedication to students. It’s a rarity!

7. This is fantastic! Congratulations on all you’ve achieved.

8. Anna @ D16 says:

Thank you for making this possible, Grace!

9. Jen says:

I am so excited to apply for this scholarship! I’ve been watching for it for a while now :) Grace, it looks like the links for Glos aren’t working? Or maybe it’s just my computer?

jen

sorry about that link- i think the server is down over there. we emailed to let them know, hoping it will be up asap :)

g

10. Mariel says:

Hi Grace. I’ve been dying to enroll full-time in an undergrad arts program (I’m enrolled part time at a community college), but lack of funding has always been my issue. Art school is terribly expensive–and as strongly as I wish to finish my education, $70K in debt is not something I can overlook. Is there any way that the scholarship program could be expanded to include part-time students?

Mariel

I understand and respect your need for financial support as well, but I’m afraid the contest cannot be expanded at this time. My apologies.

Grace

11. Laura says:

Hi Grace, I have been going to the Interior Designers Institute full time for the past 2 1/2 years and am just about to wrap up my last quarter in December. Am I eligible to apply?

laura

if you are currently a full-time student when you apply then yes :)

grace

12. Laura says:

Wonderful, thank you so much for such an amazing opportunity!!

13. Lauryn says:

Can students who go to non-accredited schools apply? I’m currently going to Brainco for Graphic Design and would love to apply for this but its a portfolio school and not accredited.

Lauryn

Lauryn

If you’re a full time student in college or grad school that’s a-ok. So if that’s a full time school that’s fine with me.

Grace

14. Lindsey says:

Grace,
    If I am a senior in highschool and will be in an undergraduate design program next year am i eligible?
    -Lindsey

lindsey

i’m afraid this is for current grad/undergrad students only. but we’ll have another scholarship next year you can enter :)

grace

15. Stefanie says:

School revolution!

16. Celeste says:

This is so fantastic. There should be more good stuff like this in the world! :)

17. Julia says:

Does your definition of art students include studying architecture?

Julia

Yes- please see the scholarship page for full details.

Grace

18. kiki says:

does glos have a website that isn’t just the contest? maybe i’m not google-ing hard enough :)

19. Hello Grace- I am soooo delighted to hear the scholarship news. I do have one question, however. I am currently enrolled full-time in the UCLA-Extension Architecture and Interior Design Certificate Program. Does this qualify me?????

Hi guys

If you are enrolled in a full time undergraduate or gradute degree program you are qualified.

Grace

20. Hello Grace- I am so delighted to hear the scholarship news!!! I do have one question, however. I am currently enrolled in the UCLA-Extension Architecture and Interior Design Certificate Program. Does this qualify me???

21. Abiie says:

oh mayn and i live in the uk, does that mean that i cant enter???

abiie

no, you’re welcome to enter. please see the post above where is says “open to international students”. that means you ;)

grace

22. Beth says:

Hi Kiki –

Beth from GLOS here. We are working hard to launch our official website and hope you’ll come visit us when it’s live! Hopefully Grace will help us get the word out once it is. We are thrilled to be a part of this scholarship and wish everyone the best of luck!

Beth from GLOS Creative Coverings

23. CHARLOTTE says:

I am a 60 year old going into a new career. What chances do I have? Thanks, Charlotte

charlotte

everyone’s got a chance :) if you’re enrolled in graduate program you’re more than welcome to enter :)

grace

24. Debbie says:

Hi! my husband is enrolled in 2 year full time woodworking program starting in a few months, does this qualify?

debbie

will he receive a graduate degree? i’m afraid this is only for students enrolled in a program where they will graduate with an undergraduate or graduate degree.

grace

25. Riley Short says:

Hi!

I go to Ontario College of Art and Design University in Toronto Ontario Canada. My program is called Envrionmental design I am in second year of my undergrad. Environmental design is a mixture of Interior Design and Architecture. Am I qualified to enter?
    Thanks

riley

yes, you’re welcome to enter. :)

grace

26. Christine says:

Hi,

I’m currently studying art/architectural restoration. Would I qualify?

Thanks,
    Christine

christine

yes, you’re welcome to apply. however, we are mostly looking for people that have original work of some sort to show, so i would definitely gear your application towards all original ideas or work you have in that particular major.

grace

27. Kelsey says:

I am a Textile Design student wondering what format it should be submitted in. Can we submit a design created in Adobe or can it be a design that has been created on an actual fabric swatch?

kelsey

you can submit either in image form, but if you check out the application you’ll see this year we’re not uploading individual images, but rather requesting a link to where we can see your work online. so if you want to upload adobe files to your site/blog or photos of fabric, that’s a-ok. but we won’t be accepting actual fabric because we aren’t reviewing the work in person.

grace

28. Angela says:

Hi Grace!
    First of all my compliments for this good idea!
    I’m graduated in Interior design and I’m an italian girl, can I send my apply?
    Thanks for attention

Angela

hi angela

if you’ve already graduated (finished) school i’m afraid you can’t apply. but if you’re currently in undergrad or grad school you’re welcome to apply.

grace :)

29. Angela says:

Yes, I’m already graduated, but I’m starting with a personal project on eco-design, so I ask you if I could apply!:)

angela

i’m afraid that means you aren’t eligible for this particular scholarship, so sorry. :(

grace

30. Angela says:

Yes, I’m already graduated (finished) but I’m starting with a persona eco-design project so I ask you if I could to apply!
    Thanks!

Angela

angela

i appreciate your interest but this is only open to current students in graduate or undergraduate programs. projects outside of a university do not count for this particular scholarship.

grace

31. Angela says:

Ok dont’ worry!thank for your advice!:)