I’m thrilled to wrap up the week with a peek at a special event that look place last Wednesday at Brooklyn Grange. Brooklyn Grange is a commercial organic farming business that grows vegetables on rooftops throughout New York City and sells them to local residents and businesses. Last week they teamed up with bobo restaurant and chef Patrick Connolly to host a sunset dinner on top of their Long Island City headquarters as part of their “Plate to Gate” dinner series.
The menu included local produce, caponata and a Long Island Shellfish Pot (yum) and today Chef Patrick is sharing the recipe for his Brooklyn Grange Caponata with us! Caponata is a cooked vegetable salad that can serve as an appetizer, side or entree so if you’re looking for something tasty to cook up this weekend, check out the recipe after the jump below. Thanks so much to Patrick for sharing this recipe with us today, and to photographer Adrienne Grunwald for sharing her pictures of the event! I’m heading to Virginia for a weekend wedding so I’ll see you all back here on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend. xo, grace
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:
- Must-Read Posts of the Week: D*S DIY Lighting Event with Lindsey Adelman!, D*S at Currency: Customizable Friendly Bed Frames
- New City Guide: Ottawa City Guide
- Biz Ladies: Designing Business Cards + Free Card Contest!
- Living In: Party Girl
- Sneak Peeks: Megan of La Partie Events, Gunilla and Eivind Platou, Roland Bello
- DIY Projects: Aunt Peaches’ Straw Cluster Chandelier, Brenna’s Book Page Fabric
- What’s in Your Pocket(book): Lucy Feagins
- What’s in Your Toolbox: Elizabeth Demos
- Before & Afters: Kristen’s Lamp + Jesse’s Desk, Sarah’s Studio + Jutta’s Dresser, Austin’s Barn Wood Wall + Bear’s Chair
- Under $100: Throw Blankets
- Before & After Basics: Refreshing Wood
- Simply Color: Corbin Lee Gurkin
- Small Measures with Ashley: Hosting a Design Swap
- In the Kitchen With: Meeta Khurana’s Red Curry Prawn Noodles
- Entertaining: Around the World with Bash, Please
- Flowers: From Flowers to Fashion with Poppies and Posies
- Artwork: Stunning Color Charts
- Misc.: 2011 Calendar: A Year in Caps, Jewel Tape, Handkerchief Wedding Invites, Fabian Strategy vs. Funky Vintage Wallpaper, Must Brush More . . . Must Brush, Sparrow & Co., WorkShop, State Food Prints
CLICK HERE for the Brooklyn Grange Caponata recipe (and more pictures) after the jump!
Brooklyn Grange Caponata Recipe (from Chef Patrick Connolly of bobo)
- 3 cups diced eggplant
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red chili, sliced (include seeds for spice)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2T apple cider vinegar
- 1T red wine vinegar
- 2T honey
- 1t kosher salt
1. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat with the crushed clove of garlic.
2. When the garlic is toasted light brown, add the peppers.
3. Saute the peppers for 1 minute, then add the eggplant and salt and continue to saute.
4. When the eggplant starts to break down, add the honey and vinegar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Refrigerate or bring to room temperature and serve with grilled bread.