weekly wrap up + boucherouite rugs

Last weekend Amy Azzarito, Amy Merrick and I gathered at Amy A.’s house to watch as the final stages of her bedroom makeover came together. With the help of Nadia and Myriah from Nightwood, Amy has totally reimagined her bedroom and created a great before & after video that will be up on Design*Sponge soon! Part of the video shoot involved Nadia and Myriah bringing in some beautiful new furniture and accessories to finish the look. One piece in particular, a Boucherouite rug from Kea in Brooklyn, caught my eye. And by caught my eye I mean it made me consider “accidentally” taking it home with me on the subway.

Boucherouite are freeform “rag rugs” from Morocco made with leftover scraps of fabric and inexpensive materials. As wool became rarer and more expensive to buy in Morocco, family looms started using found scraps to create exciting patterns and color juxtapositions that wouldn’t normally be found in traditional Moroccan rugs. This new take on an old tradition has yielded some dramatic results and I am a full fledged fan. You can find more information on these rugs right here, or check out the selection that Kea carries at Brooklyn. Thanks to Nadia and Myriah for sharing these with us last week. Images above and below via Kea, Sri Threads, Turned Out, Brix Pix and the Cavin-Morris Gallery.

I’m off for the weekend so I’ll see you again on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend! xo, grace

*Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. alex says:

oh man. these are the best rugs!!! I need one.

2. Shannon says:

I LOVE these rugs! The colours are amazing.

3. Susan says:

Wow! those are gorgeous! I wonder if it would be possible to make something similar?

4. Jai says:

Are we ever getting anymore of the desktop calendars?? I really miss those :(

1. grace says:

jai

i talked about this earlier this month- i’m afraid the series has come to an end. it was a 12 month long gift and now we’re focusing on getting the new site redesign up and running and getting the d*s scholarship funded.

grace

5. Francesca says:

hey, how much do these beauties cost?

1. grace says:

francesa

prices really vary depending on size, dealer, etc. i’ve seen them starting around $1500, but they can be fairly expensive due to the extensive hand work that goes into them.

grace

6. karen says:

These are beautiful! I just posted a tutorial for how to create your own rag shag rug if anyone is interested. http://blog.maggiemakes.com/sing_forever/2010/09/tutorial-rag-shag-rug.html

7. Eva says:

i see what you mean :-)

8. Karena says:

Really wonderful works of art!!

I too am posting pink today!

Karena
    Art by Karena

9. Sarah says:

By far the most beautiful rug i’ve ever seen! I hAVE to one or learn to make one of my own!

Karen> i am checking your blog on how to pronto!!

thank you thank you!

10. ooh, I love the first one–just like tie-dye.

11. These are truly beautiful! I love that recycling through necessity can produce such gorgeous results. It’s so the way to go! jx

12. those rugs are fantastic! sure to make an impact in any room.

13. izzy says:

hey grace, what was the budget for this make-over?

1. grace says:

izzy

amy’s room? i’m not sure off hand. i’ll ask her if she feels comfortable sharing it when we post the video.

grace

14. Quatre says:

Very beautiful.

They really have a sense of the ‘spirit’ of Morocco – I travel to Marrakech for work about once a year, and there’s such a wide range of works the artisans there do.

You get everything from the traditional, to the very edgy interpretations of culture, like these works.

15. Jan says:

The kaleidoscope of colors are just so visually interesting – these would really wake up a room that has grown visually dull and boring.

16. These are incredible! Thanks for introducing these to us. I officially have a new rug obsession!

17. artnek says:

love that colors and textures :)

18. Those rugs are divine. I try to not use that word but it’s true.

19. Bridget Rees says:

These are gorgeous!! If you like these, then please also take a look at http://gamruragrugs.blogspot.com You will find it interesting!!

20. Ankita says:

these are quite cool designs.. i love the one with five girls kinda drawing on it. they would really add cheerfulness and color to any room.:)

21. Zepequeña says:

Great!

Zepequeña.

22. make my day says:

colour under your feet….you have to love that.

23. eva says:

Its really beautiful, and i want to make this on my own… i hope i can.

24. bianca says:

these are super gorgeous!

25. Elaine Corridoni says:

They are great pieces. I am a huge fan of boucherouites and have been collecting them for 18 months now. I have travelled 11 times all over morocco to get my pieces and to talk to ladies who made them. They are really awesome and so is the story behind. I even tried to make new ones with artisans, they looked nice but not the same thing. Oh well, I would love to share my pics with you. Let’s see if I get a blog for that. Have a good week!
    elainecorridoni@gmail.com

26. Patusibu says:

I LOVE this rugs! I need one!!!!

27. Mariko Tanaka says:

Here is a NY Times article about some of these rugs.

28. Fossik says:

For those of you in Australia you can source these beautiful boucherouite rugs at online store Fossik.

29. viv says:

Even better you can buy them for $150 to $300 usd from beyond marrakesh website and the posting is reasonable. Certainly cheaper than the $1000 AUD asked for in Australia. I am now attempting to make one myself which makes you appreciate the morrocans style so much more. Not easy to get it as gorgeous

30. Berber says:

Also you can find these rugs on eBay or go to http://www.berberrugs.net