state food prints

One of my favorite things about traveling is trying regional food specialties. Whether it’s a lobster roll in Maine or fresh olives in California, I’m always scoping out locally grown or made favorites. When I saw these colorful state-and-food prints by John Holcomb, I immediately looked for Virginia’s. Sadly, there’s no Virginia print yet (I’m guessing my home state will feature a ham) but there are really sweet California, Michigan, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Minnesota and Tennessee prints. Each recycled French paper print measures 12.5 inches by 19 inches and is available as part of a limited edition at Fine Artichoke for $30. xo, grace

*Fine Artichoke specializes in “original art for hungry walls” so if you’re in the market for affordable kitchen art, they’ve got you covered!

UPDATE!! All 50 states are available directly on John’s site Shorthanded.

1. Those are awesome! Sadly there is no Florida yet either, but I’m a little tempted by the Tennessee one!

2. Catherine says:

I didn’t realize you were from VA Grace. What part?

I’d like to see a Virginia and Rhode Island. Sadly, RI’s always forgotten. I’ll have to keep an eye on them to see if he makes it that far. It’s definitely a fun idea.

3. as a golden state gal, i think mr.holcomb did a stellar job! but i secretly wish i could call north carolina home – that pie looks heavenly :)
    sylvie of silver lining

4. Penny says:

I like the design for my state, Michigan, but I hope this isn’t supposed to be representative of the state. We’re something like 14th in terms of hog production.

5. Kristin says:

Fantastic! I just bought the ‘Michigan’ print for my Michigander husband. I am a Tennessean so I hope to be back for the classic TN print soon.

6. Jennifer says:

These are cute, but as a GARDEN STATE gal, I wish the salad was used for New Jersey!

7. Ashley says:

Super bummed! Having trouble with ordering the Michigan print. I hope they aren’t already sold out!

8. Jamie says:

i am a proud Ohioan but i am having a hard time figuring out what kind of food Ohio is supposed to be…. am i missing something obvious?? i see a pat of butter… but what is the rest?

9. Mark says:

Ohio is Mashed Potatoes.

He says (somewhere) that the food isn’t representative of the state.

Not sure why he didn’t connect the food and state. That would have made it a much cooler project (and probably wold have saved him countless hours in explanations).

10. Dawn says:

Did he think Ohio was Idaho with the potatoes?

11. Ali says:

Hey guys!!! I’m the artist’s wife, and since he’s currently unavailable, I wanted to clear up a few things. First, the posters shown here are his first editions that he sold out of. He has second prints available of all the states, but some of the second editions are illustrated differently to make the images stronger. Also, there’s no connection with each food and the state…it’s simply what each state’s outline represents….so have fun looking!! All the new prints are available at his site They make excellent Christmas gifts too.

12. Ali says:

All 50 states are on his Website so check them out…

13. Joanna says:

Being a Californian farmer’s daughter, I knew right away that the illustration wasn’t an accurate portrayal of the produce grown in that state. But the print sure is pretty!

14. Chloe says:

I love these!! I went to his website and all 50 are sooooo colorful and amazing! You have to check them out…I can’t decide which one to get.

15. Molly says:

Fine Artichoke… what a great idea. Love it!

16. Honey924 says:

Whoa, he actually included the U.P.!

17. so glad to know about Fine Artichoke! Unique art at such affordable prices…love!

18. zabet says:

sad to see michigan, with the second greatest agricultural diversity in the country, represented by bacon and eggs and not cherries or beets or pawpaws or anything interesting

19. I really love these illustrations

20. Alex says:

Food Network magazine published these a year or so ago, and he does make ones for all 50 states! Kentucky is my favorite by a long shot.

21. Katie Bee says:

so much fun! the kentucky one is perfect–and I’m not just saying that ’cause I live there. It’d be terrific in my kitchen, especially because my husband and I met years ago at a restaurant that served plenty of fried chicken!

22. Renai says:

Kind of bummed that Alaska is biscuits and gravy.

23. Joel says:

Pizza for South Carolina… really?

24. AJ says:

I’m not terribly impressed with these. I agree that this would be much cuter, and I’d be more inclined to purchase, if the foods were more representative of the states.
    I closed out the website immediatley when I saw Louisiana, with the description being “a pile of chicken nuggets.” Seriously?

25. MJ says:

Great stuff here! Probably really hard to line up a states popular food and pretend it could look like the state itself. I’ve never seen a potato come out looking like the shape of Idaho. Guess you could pretend the shape of Michigan reminds you of cherries and beets. Some of the states are a stretch though anyway. All in the eyes of the beholder. Minnesota, Kentucky and Wyoming are easily the best.

26. I really love there prints, they really do make you hungry. These would go perfect in the kitchen, especially if you love food from all different places. I really like the new york one, great use of colours.

27. Timothy Watts says:

I thought it interesting that today I saw this artists work posted on National Geographic. Reminded me of when I saw it here!