sneak peek: megan of la partie events

Megan Fickling’s one-bedroom apartment in Santa Monica, California, is bright and cheerful, which makes sense considering Megan designs flowers and events for a living! The bright, fun and fresh look directly corresponds to Megan’s floral design style — it’s a happy creative California vibe!  Thanks, Megan! And many thanks to Erin Hearts Court for the lovely photos! See the full set on Flickr. Amy A.

I love color and I also love crisp, modern white decor. I wanted our place to feel bright, cheerful, young and modern with some eclectic accents. Over time, I’ve collected a mix of decorative pieces from stores here in the US and also from our international travels. I’m constantly looking for something unique and inspiring to give my clients. So I often shop at some of the same stores for my vases and decorative pieces as I do for personal purchases. I figure if those stores inspire me in my personal life, they probably will inspire some fun floral designs as well.

Image above: The color on the wall was inspired by the back pillow, which I found on sale at Anthropologie. The front pillow is also from Anthropologie. The couch is from Room & Board (one of my favorite stores). The tray on the coffee table is from Zara Home, which I picked up this spring on a trip to Spain. It holds a jar in the center from Jonathan Adler (a gift from one of my clients), a vintage milk glass vase holding wood chip flowers and dried yellow Billy Balls and some other goodies I’ve collected from various home stores.

Image above: This is my husband’s desk (usually much more cluttered!). The desk is from West Elm and the chair is from CB2, but I bought it on Craigslist. The frame above his desk holds a poster from the Brady Museum in Cuernavaca, Mexico, a space we absolutely fell in love with on a recent vacation down south.

CLICK HERE for more of Megan’s peek!

Image above: This is my favorite tea cup from Kate Spade, usually found on my desk.

Image above: Here’s our dining table/work table/overflow desk. The chairs and pendant lamp are from West Elm and were a wedding gift. I bought the table on Craiglist and it has some scratches on it so I’m constantly buying fun fabric in downtown LA and sewing tablecloths for the table.

Image above: This is my desk. The moment I saw the white Parsons desk from West Elm, I knew I had to have it. I bought the chair on sale at HD Buttercup in Los Angeles. The wall is filled with white frames from Room & Board, a bright clock from Crate and Barrel and some vintage-feeling tiles and plates from Anthropologie. I love these white frames from Room & Board. I bought them over time as floor samples went on sale and I touched them all up with white spray paint. They hold photos of our travels and of our wedding. On the desk, my pencil holder is actually the mint julep cup that my husband gave me after our first date filled with flowers. I also have an authentic piece of Talavera pottery from Puebla, Mexico, on the desk.

Image above: This is a little nook for holding trinkets. Several of the small white vases and silver bird dish are by Jonathan Adler. The tine boxes are from IKEA and the white porcelain candlestick holder is from Anthropologie. I bought the photo from an artist in New Orleans when I coordinated a wedding there and fell in love with the city. The redish flower in the woman’s hat inspired the wall color.

Image above: The nook behind the couch houses an IKEA shelf holding many, many unread magazines. On top of the shelf is a white lantern from Z Gallerie, a funky “totem head” vase from Jonathan Adler and a fun graphic bowl from Anthropologie. The white frame is displaying the room key I brought home from one of my favorite hotels — the ACE in Palm Springs.

Image above: Mid-century inspired media cabinet and tripod floor lamp from West Elm. White tine frames above the TV are from Room & Board.

Image above: My father-in-law made the awesome coffee table for us as a wedding gift. The oversized metal and straw candle holders hanging above the couch are from one of favorite trips of all time — to Bali, Indonesia.

1. Another great sneak pee! Love the shout out to Zara home! Wish they had that store in the US!

2. PS. I love the color on the walls! What a bright and cheery home!

3. Crystal Roznik says:

I LOVE DESIGNsponge Monday’s. Sneak Peek’s are so addicting. these are my favorite thing online all week.

4. Love all the fresh pops of color against the white walls. Lovely space!

5. Sarah Soler says:

I love the bright pops of color. She strikes a great balance and it isn’t overwhelming. Such a happy space!

6. Hanna says:

love this home, so fresh and bright!

7. JB says:

What a fun and colorful space! I especially love the orange desk chair. Does IKEA still sell those brightly colored tins? I’ve never seen them there, but would love to find some. Thanks!

8. caro says:

Sneak peeks are my favorite post of the week too! that’s the only thing I like about Mondays ;) are the room and board frames originally white?

9. Claire says:

Wow! What a colorful space, with so many interesting and exotic personal touches. I’ve known Megan and her husband since college, and now I’m wishing I has asked her to decorate my dorm room! :)

10. Lovely apartment, nice combination of colors and accesories.

11. Meg says:

Hi JB. I just looked online and it looks like IKEA discontinued the tins. Bummer. Caro, yes the Roome & Board frames were originally white. Meg :)

12. annawithlove says:

beautiful bright colours! Love the 1st photo.

13. Stella says:

I love the splashes of hyper color picked out from pillows and photographs.

Also, an unusual layout choice for the space, with the dining set farther from the kitchen. Makes sense though with that bright window.

14. claire says:

Holy moly I love it!

15. What a beautiful home! very eclectic and clean at the same time. Megan Fickling’s definitely got a unique eye. :-)

16. holly says:

Love this sneak peak! Would you mind telling me what the tomato colored paint you used was? Looks great with the white accents!

17. What a gorgeous little apartment!

18. Meg says:

Hi Juliette. I will try and find out the color or the wall. Will get back to you. Meg :)

19. maya says:

i adore this!!

20. Connie Lyu says:

I am in love with this space!!!

21. Kate says:

Oh I love the colour… oh to be that bold and pull it off!!

22. Roxy says:

I love sneak peeks, such a lovely home and so bright.

23. Valerie says:

lovely! where is the orange desk chair from? must. have. thanks!

24. Brigitte says:

I love all the bright colors!

25. shana says:

One of my all-time favourites!!!
    Not afraid of colour! amazing!

26. *halthegal says:

love the patterns against the clean wall! reminds me of my umbrella show…
    thanks for sharing! LOVE!

27. Meg says:

Hi Valerie! The orange desk chair is from HD Buttercup in LA. Meg :)

28. Vanessa says:

This is a very pretty apartment and the photos are so well done. I am always curious about taking room pictures, what level do you hold the camera? Did you use a tripod?

29. Monique says:

Love this bright and cheerful space! Especially the brightly coloured accent walls!

30. Meg says:

Hi Vanessa, yes the photographer used a tripod. Meg :)

31. kt says:

i heart the media cabinet. where is it from?

32. Miss Cupcake says:

How lovely. In the 3rd photo there is a framed photo in the top left with stamps? I’d love to know more about it.

33. Marissa says:

I love the white candle containers in the third picture (on the right), where are those from?

34. Meg says:

Hi KT, the media cabinet is from West Elm. Miss Cupcake, I framed the Eames stamps. Marissa, the white candle holders were from West Elm a looooong time ago. Meg :)

35. Miss Heliotrope says:

I always love banksia, it’s one of my favorite trees, so pleased to see the flowers are being used so far away…

36. Anthea says:

Sneak Peeks, so fun, and inspiring. makes me remember to get the artwork out of folders and actually on the wall. Love the colourful flower plates popped on the wall as well.