sneak peek: ma mamie hippie

by

Textile designer Sarah Caniot and photographer Nicolas Grandmaison call the 12th arrondisement of Paris between Bastille and Nation home. Their two-story apartment is only 54m2 (581 sq. ft.) and it provides both living and workspace for Sarah’s line of fun homewares, Ma Mamie Hippie. The apartment was recently renovated and is now completely open with no walls except those separating the bathroom. Still, they’ve been able to create an inviting and functional space. Enjoy the full post below, and you can find more snippets of Sarah and Nicolas’ home here, and more from Sarah on her blog here. Thanks, Sarah! Anne

Image above: We decided to paint the lower floor of the apartment chocolate brown for a cozy atmosphere. The staircase (to our office and workshop) was custom made and is brushed stainless steel. We had a carpenter friend build this large oak shelf where we could consolidate all of our book collection of art and photography. We love designer, retro and colorful items like this silkscreened limited edition table, the Sentou Jiedlé yellow light, and the garlands of Tse & Tse creative. We unearthed old school chairs for the table. We like to have friends over, but the corner is also great for reading or taking a nap.

Image above: You enter the apartment through the kitchen. The counters are made of oak, with all the tools we need within reach since we love cooking and having friends over for meals. Various cloths from my collection that I silkscreened serve as curtains to hide what’s behind the counters. I have created patterns inspired by cooking: our market where we go every day, and traders in our neighborhoods that we know well. I like to use neon colors to give pep and provide good contrast with the chocolate brown wall of the kitchen.

Image above: Our trick for hiding our electric meter was to cover it with slate where our friends can leave us messages every time they come over.

Image above: We decided to paint a wall in the bedroom bright pink to give the room punch. The painting “Snow is pink in Paris” is by a Parisian artist. The wood and yellow steel workshop chair is from the 60s and is paired with an old school desk. My office is used for a lot of computer work. Behind the computer, there is a picture by Cedric Delsaux, a friend of ours, who gave it to us as a gift. We love this photo he took of the old neon lights of Las Vegas. Small metal lockers hold lots of photo equipment.

Image above: As a textile designer, I create silkscreened objects for the home. “Ma mamie hippie” translates to “My hippie grandma.” This is my studio, where I keep many fabrics and different materials for silkscreening.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Sarah’s sneak peek after the jump!

Image above: A large column of books with a garland of colored Tse & Tse flags follows you to the top of the stairs. I use the railing of the stairs to dry my screenprinted tea towels. We unearthed an old trunk at a flea market for storage. I keep all the cards and objects I like on the edge of the trunk. There are many design and decoration books on the shelf for inspiration. The little blue chair holds magazines with recent press for Ma Mamie Hippie. Even the shoes in the workshop are some of the elements that inspire me in my work.

Image above: Our room is simple; there is our bed and the dresser that had to fit. We painted the walls in a light brown with a hint of pink to create one quiet and zen side of the room.

1. angie says:

i love this space! especially the greys. :-)

2. Chichichick says:

Wow, love her eclectic style. Such personality in only 500 sq.ft!!!

3. Jeni Shirley says:

I love it. Such great colors, while also feeling very simple and fresh. Nice!

4. Those stairs look CRAZY!!

5. Lisa says:

I am in love with the table and chairs! Just makes me feel all happy inside! :)

6. daniellen says:

Can you tell me what brand/color the paints in these rooms are? Especially the darker grey in the kitchen! I’ve been looking for that EXACT shade and would really appreciate the help :)

7. Carrie says:

Love this house! Especially the stairs and the way you have the table & chairs right up against the couch. I don’t have room in my place for a dining room table, so I’m thinking about taking this idea!

8. Love the gray walls – our dining room is about the same deep gray, and I keep thinking of painting the rest of the house! Great inspiration.

9. Love it !
    a great flat of an artists couple ;)
    So nice to have a cosy home like this in Paris and especially with 2 floors :)

10. Jessie-Lee says:

How does one get over that staircase? How?

11. Liz says:

What a happy space! Can you tell me where you bought the pillow that is on your couch? I really love it!

12. Lane says:

Please tell us what paint you used for your pink wall!

13. Brilliant idea for covering the electric meter.

14. arroyo says:

Love the table/chairs in the living room — that is just the perfect setup for kids.

15. katie says:

Love it – that mocha grey is perfection with the warm wood and bright prints.

16. R. Pyper says:

Yeah, covering the meter with slate was genius!

17. Tran says:

I love the stairs… Are they custom or can I order them from somewhere online??

18. PhillyLass says:

I’m officially obsessed with that staircase. It’s amazing!!

19. Bee Mo says:

Another epic entry. Well written and well photographed. I love it all. that staircase is just absolute.

20. Carolina says:

I’m actually terrified of stairs like that, but love the rest of the place. Bedroom could use some TLC though.

21. Andrea says:

Kerpow! That’s my head exploding. Such a great home.

22. What a beautiful house. I love the pink accents and the diverse patterning.

23. liz says:

Please could you tell me the name of the artist, who made the “snow is pink in Paris ” painting?
    A brilliant use of space, a cosy home and workspace…

24. Lovely flat! I simply love the staircase. Living in Paris myself I can assure you that we would consider this a large space.

25. love the contrast between the dove grey wall color and the hot pink. beautiful palette!

26. Petra says:

I’m loving the grayish-taupe walls. What color and brand paint is it? Such a beautiful use of space.

27. carolyn says:

love love love those stenciled elephant stools. adorable.

28. Ash says:

I couldn’t help but notice all the animal masks around the home. Tres, tres cute! Love it.

29. Thank you for all your comments so nice!
    To answer all your questions:
    The paint we used is called “Dulux Valentine” in chocolate brown.
    The table comes from our living room “Sentou” (a brand very design) and chairs of school children are buying into a flea market in Paris.
    For the stairs, he is brushed stainless steel with “Escaliers Décors”.

Sarah and Nicolas.

30. Tran says:

Love all the room pictures, but I’m particularly obsessed with the leather bag that’s on the back of the chair in the first living room picture. Can you tell me what brand that is?

31. Monica says:

Hi Sarah and Nicolas!
    You home is great! I took several ideas for mine.
    Do you remember the name of the Parisian artist who paint “Snow is pink in Paris”. I loved it and I would like to get in contact with him. Thanks in advance!

32. This house is a happy place. I want to make you unhappy but
    moving in and taking it over for myself!!!! Thanks for the
    inspirational ideas. Loved your blog and shop as well!

33. Lisa Di lUCIA says:

Can I ask is the grey sofa a sofabed and if so where did they get it?

Thanks

Lisa

34. Nasozi says:

that living room table is everything! I am a African-textile based home decor designer and work with that sparrow pattern VERY often. it was designed in Dakar, Senegal over twenty years ago by an artist named Claude Gomis. what’s the source of the table?

35. Laurie Keller says:

I’d love to know what kind of spiral staircase that is. Any idea on where I can have order them? Thanks!