handkerchief wedding invites

When AC and I got married last year, one of my favorite things about the big day was seeing our handkerchief invitations worn by guests as pocket squares. When I saw these beautiful handkerchief invites for the wedding of Youngna and Jacob, I was hooked. As much as I love paper, there’s something about using fabric to invite people that feels so special. Youngna and Jacob worked with designer Kelli Anderson to create these beautiful map invites that would help people find their way to the ceremony. Because the venue is a remote mountain-top location, the map illustrates visual landmarks to help guests on their trip, in addition to providing some decoration for the handkerchief. Kelli shared the entire creation process right here on her blog, so if you want to see how these pieces came together, check out her sketches! xo, grace

1. emily says:

love love love this idea! thanks for featuring such creative and innovative posts. :-)

2. those handkerchief wedding invites are most beautiful! The stylized drawings of mountains, building and other landmarks are amazing – I love the colours – the whole idea is so nice. I looked at Kelli`s blog – very intersting to see her pictures and sketches!

3. katie says:

I love these invites. I am hoping to do handkerchief invitations for my own wedding! Thank you for sharing.

4. almalu says:

I’d love to do a handkerchief invite for my bday…this is amazing!

5. wow, it’s true that there’s something so sweet and special about using textiles for invites! I wish I would have thought of this for my wedding!

6. Lauren W says:

These are really awesome…I haven’t been this blown away by someone’s work in a very long time! Kelli’s website and work are SO impressive. You must check out her site!

7. Leah says:

so tactile. so cute! great wedding date too, 10-10-10! thanks for this, my wheels are turning for my 2011 wedding…

8. annawithlove says:

What a cute idea!! I love this blog, always something interesting and new to discover!

9. So clever and beautiful. I wouldn’t have thought of textiles in place of paper goods… but absolutely love it.

10. youngna says:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments about the invite! Kelli was amazing to work with — such a precise and thoughtful design process from beginning to end.

11. Kristal says:

Those are so cute! I’ve done something similar for a customer, everyone loved the extra touch the fabric gives.

12. Lurgs says:

That’s a truly unique and beautiful invite! Thanks for sharing!

13. kelli says:

Wow, thank you everyone for the incredible response. This project was a blast to work on with Jacob and Youngna. I’m eager to see if guests will match the idiosyncratic, primary-hued landmarks with the physical structures they pass on the road. :)

14. Um…how can I get an invitation to this wedding? Simply stunning!

15. These are FAB! So, how were they printed??? Silkscreen?

16. cailen says:

what a sweet and charming idea! maybe i’ll borrow it for my wedding….

17. hena tayeb says:

What a gorgeous idea. I love it.

18. kelli says:

@Debi They are digital inkjet — Spoonflower printed the fabric. (And then I letterpressed the sleeves and Youngna stamped the envelopes.) I posted a how-to on my blog if you want more specific production info: http://kellianderson.com/blog/2010/09/handkermap/

19. florence says:

Sublime! Love the colors, textures, simplicity yet designed beautifully… wish I had thought of this for my wedding!

20. Eva says:

love this! The blog doesn’t seem to work tho..

21. Lucy says:

Crikey – these are beautiful! What a lovely idea :-)

22. kelli says:

@ eva Sorry- wordpress-fail. It is back up

23. Inya Kawin says:

Your idea is brilliant. I love it.

24. Love the wedding handkerchief invite. I love all things wedding, especially custom hankies for such a momentous occasion.