fabian strategy vs. funky vintage wallpaper

Ok, I know it’s risky to start the day with a relatively random 30 Rock reference, but after watching the new season’s first episode again, I couldn’t help but draw comparisons. In the season opener, Jack’s character has moved in with his girlfriend and she’s decided to start re-decorating his stately bachelor pad. In an attempt to sabotage Jack’s plan (which he calls “The Fabian Strategy”) to keep the apartment’s original decor, Liz Lemon emails Jack’s girlfriend a link to “FunkyVintageWallpapers.com.” The line was meant to be a joke, but because I’m a total design nerd, I immediately thought, “I bet that’s a real site. I’m going to go check . . .” So when I heard from Bromwyn this weekend that my favorite vintage wallpaper shop — Secondhand Rose — opened a new e-commerce site, I immediately thought of that 30 Rock scene.

Unlike Liz Lemon’s implication that funky wallpapers would be unattractive, I think vintage wallpapers are full of character and life. When used the right way, they can be so much nicer than today’s sleek, modern wallpapers. Secondhand Rose has always had an amazing selection, but now they have a huge chunk of their collection online and available to buy! It’s hard to explain the sheer volume of vintage designs they stock, so this online collection is just the tip of the iceberg, but it’s a great start. If you’re in the market for something “funky” and vintage, click here to check out the new shop. xo, grace

*Click here to check out my Top 50 Wallpaper Resources post.

CLICK HERE to see more of my favorite vintage wallpaper designs at Secondhand Rose after the jump!

1. Megan says:

Ah, so rad! I love vintage wallpaper. I did some mock ups myself several months back. I want to cover my house in that green floral above!

2. Holly says:

Love them all, but the little city view from the balcony reminds of my grandmother’s wallpaper from the sixties. It was a huge scene the wrapped around the entire room.

3. That is so funny, I had a similar thought watching 30 Rock! I bet all of us in the design world were like “wait a minute, funky vintage wallpaper sounds awesome!”

4. i love vintage wallpaper! i also love reading 30 Rock references first thing in the morning :) That city print is great!

5. Your Fabian Strategy headline made me heart your blog even more, Grace :-).

1. grace says:

thanks maggie ;)

6. Reader says:

Actually, I think TV shows usually check that they’re NOT referring to real sites; they’re concerned about sued.

Nice wallpaper.

1. grace says:

i get that ;) i just felt the design dork in me wonder if there was…

7. Eli says:

Ha, love it!!! I maaaaaay or may not have had the same thought when watching 30 Rock :-).

And even if it didn’t exist before, I’m willing to bet that one design-loving-30-rock-fan will create that exact site by season’s end.

8. Christina says:

Oh this wallpaper is so dreamy! I love the birds so much. Thanks for sharing!

9. Chad says:

In defense of Liz Lemon, I’m not sure she hates vintage wallpaper herself—she just knew it wouldn’t appeal to Jack.

10. JenWill says:

I did the same thing. I was at my computer when it was on and immediately typed in the url. Thanks for sharing Secondhand Rose, beautiful stuff!!

11. ladylala says:

i thought of you when i watched this! thanks for the post. i don’t think i could bring myself to pay these prices for vintage though.

1. grace says:

check out the papers in person- they’re really spectacular. not all of them are worth splurging on, but some of them really are amazing. this selection really doesn’t do the full shop justice- their metallic prints are really off the charts awesome.

12. katherine says:

Funky overlaid type in varied shades of green and yellow? That’s the wallpaper in my version of heaven. *swoon!*

13. katie says:

Ok, I’m not the only nerd who actually WENT to that website during the episode! too funny!