I’m thrilled to wrap up our font-themed day with a fantastic contest! I’ve been interested in font design for years, but after speaking with experts over the past few weeks, I realized that designing a fully functioning font would be too complicated for most of us. So I thought we’d break things down to the basic elements: letters! Today we’re launching a two-week long Design Your Own Alphabet Contest with Veer!
Whether you’re an aspiring font designer or just a constant doodler of letters (that’s me), this contest celebrates the art of the alphabet! Over the next two weeks, we’re asking readers to have fun and try their hands at designing their own alphabets. Once you have your design (which can be digitally created or hand-drawn), submit it here and in two weeks we’ll announce the top ten entries. Then the top ten will be turned over to you guys! You’ll vote for your favorite and first prize will win $500 and $150 in Veer credits to keep their font love going!
Here are the details:
- Contest: Design Your Own Alphabet!
- Description: Design your own alphabet (all 26 letters, numbers are optional) and provide a sample of the alphabet letters spelling the name of your font (no length requirement) using your alphabet letters. You may submit digital or hand-drawn designs.
- Details: What do you need to turn in? Images of all 26 letters. You can combine them into one JPEG (which must be at least 500 pixels wide) or submit a zip file of all 26 letters as separate JPEGS. In addition, you must use your letters to spell the name of your alphabet. There is no length requirement for the name, but be creative and use it as a chance to see what your letters would look like together!
- Due Date: All entries must be received by 10pm EST November 9th, 2010. (I wanted to make sure everyone has time to dive into this project and design something they really love!)
- How to Enter: Send your email to SUBMISSIONS AT DESIGNSPONGE DOT COM with the subject line “Alphabet Contest”.
- What to Include in Your Email: Your full name, phone number and email address (this will only be used to contact you in the event that you are a finalist and for no other purpose). In addition to your contact information, you need to include the 26 alphabet letters and your custom alphabet name spelled in your letters. You can send this as a single JPEG or a zip file of individual files measuring at least 500 pixels wide. Please attach files, do not embed them into the email body.
*Please note: neither Veer nor Design*Sponge will have any ownership of these designs*
Have any questions? Feel free to leave them in the comments section below and I’ll answer them as we go along. I hope today’s font posts will inspire you to try your hand at the basic building blocks that make up font design. I know I’m going to give this a shot (I’m not eligible to enter of course), so I can’t wait to see what you all come up with! Thanks again to our sponsor, Veer.com, for donating the $500 prize and $150 in Veer credits! xo, grace