best of wallpaper

Wallpaper is always a favorite topic and in the past five years, the number of beautiful papers available has simply exploded. Searching through the sneak peek archives, it was pretty tough narrowing down my favorites to only 30, but I thought these choices best represented the wealth of styles available and the different ways you can use them. If these homes inspire you to bring a little pattern to your own walls, be sure to check our our top 50 wallpaper sources for more ideas! — Amy A.

Click here for more Design*Sponge “Best Of”s (dining rooms, entryways, bedrooms, living rooms, playrooms, bikes, chandeliers, gallery walls and more)

Image above: The entry hall in Kimberly Cornelison & Alfie Ferreyra’s Minneapolis, Minnesota, home is wallpapered in a Farrow & Ball print.

Image above: Trine of Ferm Living used the dark “Wilderness” wallpaper to make the yellow bedding really pop in her Danish home.

Image above: Josef Frank wallpaper in Lisa Grue’s Copenhagen home.

Image above: Emma Cassi used wallpaper to create the illusion of a headboard in her London home.

Image above: Susan and William Brinson wanted to make their Manhattan kitchen feel “older” so they added the embossed paintable wallpaper and painted it with outdoor, high-gloss paint.

CLICK HERE for 25 more best of wallpaper pictures!

Image above: In Diane Stafford’s South London Victorian home, the single wallpapered wall makes the bed a focal point — no headboard necessary.

Image above: Elisabeth Dunker uses Cole & Son wallpaper in her Sweden home to create a woodsy vibe.

Image above: To hang this “Grove Garden” pattern from Osborne & Little in her Finland home, Jutta of Kootut Murut made her own wallpaper paste by boiling wheat flour and water.

Image above: Leah Hennen used Orla Kiely wallpaper left over from her dining-room hutch project on the back of her bookshelves.

Image above: Joyce of Rosa Blu used the Cath Kidston wallpaper “Paris Rose Pink” for the bedroom walls in her Amsterdam home.

Image above: Helena Amourdedieu hung Lene Toni Kjeld’s “transitional” wallpaper to frame her Paris kitchen. The pattern changes in this hand-printed paper.

Image above: Sarah Hicks Malone covered this one wall of her Nashville guest bedroom with floral wallpaper found on eBay.

Image above: Cara of Ore Studios used this paper in her Santa Fe, New Mexico, dining room to create a vibrant color scheme.

Image above: Brad Dufton and Dendra Amin-Dufton used wallpaper to visually connect the dining and living rooms in their Boston home.

Image above: Design*Sponge contributor Barb Blair of Knack Studios (don’t miss her Before & After Basics!) wallpapered her hallway in this Waverly print.

Image above: Lynda Gardner found just enough of this toile paper to cover one wall of the guest bedroom in her home outside of Melbourne, Australia.

Image above: Maxine Sutton used “Mimosa” by Cole & Son in her home in the seaside town of Ramsgate, Kent, to unify a living room filled with vintage finds.

Image above: Purple toile in Kirsten Voortman’s Amsterdam home.

Image above: Nina Gotlieb used this Florence Broadhurst wallpaper to define the staircase in her Clinton Corners country home. (If you like the color scheme, be sure to check out Simply Color: Nina Gotlieb!)

Image above: The Madison and Grow wallpaper in Teresa Grow’s Los Angeles home frames her vintage fireplace.

Image above: Colorful paper in Jeremy Mcelwain’s entryway.

Image above: Rosie Brown’s home in Edinburgh is filled with amazing artwork and patterns, like this Cole & Son wallpaper.

Image above: Vynsie Law felt this Graham and Brown wallpaper changed the entire feel of her East Dallas home.

Image above: Amie Corley wallpapered this room in her St. Louis home in Neisha Crosland’s “Birdtree” paper and had her grandmother’s chaise reupholstered in Brunschwig’s “Les Touches.”

Image above: Corbin Lee Gurkin designed this bathroom wallpaper in her Charleston home with Photoshop using family photos, and then had the file printed by (See Simply Color: Corbin Lee Gukin to recreate the feel of this home!)

Amy Allison uses her Chicago home as a testing ground for her own designs. She framed the banquette that she built herself with her own wallpaper design.

Image above: Betsy Maddox used wallpaper from Ferm Living in her Chicago home.

Image above: The entryway in Sandra Haischberger’s Vienna flat.

Image above: The entryway to Sarah Hicks Malone’s Nashville home is papered in yellow florals from Cole & Son.

Image above: In Erika and Patrik Mörn’s Sweden home, the bedroom is papered in a Hanna Werning design.

1. Liz says:

I could never use wall paper due to my lack of confidence in my own ability to like something that long, but some of those almost make me wish I could. I may have to try stenciling something like those trees.

2. Senja says:

Awesome! I live in Sweden and love the collection of sneak peaks you have in this post.

Also, I have the same pillows in the last photo :)

3. I love the Waverly print Barb used, Betsy Maddox’s dining room and Sarah Hick’s entryway! I can’t think of anywhere to wallpaper, but I love those three prints!

4. Amy says:

i am loving wallpaper. there are so many gorgeous designs! i’ve always been wary of it since i’m in the commercial industry and you can see some pretty old, out-dated and boring stuff there – but i love what options there are for residential! gorgeous!!!

5. What a feast for the eyes!! Just the inspiration I was needing for my wallpaper search!! ~Chris Ann

6. i’ve been stalking that cole and son birch tree wallpaper for some time. i love it!!!

7. Michaela says:

Wallpaper is such a fun way to liven up a room. I especially love the idea of purple toile in the a little girls room. Sophisticated and playful at the same time!

8. Ellen says:

The wallpaper headboard is genius! I love wallpapers but haven’t been able to commit to doing a whole wall. The headboard is a great way bring in some interest and not break the bank.

9. BrittaniRose says:

I can’t wait for the day wallpaper is put up in my home. For so many years I thought wallpaper= tacky. But boy was I mistaken. Beautiful prints!

10. I never thought I would love wallpaper when I was younger but over the past couple of years I have grown to love it, especially varying vintage wall papers in small sections of a home. Great post!

11. I love wallpaper! Thanks for this post. I keep seeing that Sandra Haischberger’s paper with the trees pop up in various places. It is such a great pattern, especially in a hall like the photo above.

12. Suzanne says:

Betsy Maddox’s dining room is like a beautiful dream. I’m always glad to see that picture come again and again.

13. Samae says:

I love the Farrow & Ball print at the top but when you look at their site this colorway is not listed. Could you tell me what it is called? Thanks!!!!!

14. I love, love, love wallpaper!! I put Orla Kiely multi-stem wallpaper on one wall in my home office and I love it!! I painted the other walls to match to background color (shade of white)…It was kind of pricy but to just do one wall makes it more reasonable!

15. Barbi says:

This post makes me want to chose a wall to wallpaper….immediately!

16. This is fantastic. Thanks so much for the wallpaper inspiration.

17. katie says:

Perfect round-up as I’m choosing wallpaper at the moment – I’ll probably be really populist and go for the white Cole & Son woods print!

18. It’s so hard to decide on wallpaper – some of my favourites here, although my favourite is by Absolute Zero (the swallow one featured here I think quality is important too though – although I love the yellow Graham & Brown wallpaper above, I ordered samples and I think it looks quite cheap in the flesh (it is pretty inexpensive though anyway.)

19. lovin wallpapers right now! The headboard is very very clever.

20. susie says:

You should check out . I think you’ll love it!

21. Tami says:

Ask and ye shall receive! I left a note the other day asking what to do with a roll of Lincrusta-type wallpaper and here’s a pic of it used as backsplash. What a great application for it, particularly with the low-tech use of exterior paint to make it washable. Unbelievably, that’s EXACTLY the pattern I bought, too.

Thanks again!

22. I am not a huge fan of wallpaper, but some of these examples are quite lovely. The Manhattan kitchen in the deep blue is quite striking.

23. Maria Valdivieso-Pakozdi says:

This makes me wanna buy a house and stop renting immediately even if I can’t afford it!

Especially “Grove Garden” pattern from Osborne & Little….. swoon

24. Wallpaper is a brilliant way of changing the design and look of a room. Great to see all your favourites in one post.

1. Ele says:

I love to decorate home with wallpaper. But wallpaper should be unique and attractive..I love to change my home and office wallpaper too. just look at

25. albeit... says:

Emma Cassi is brilliant! I love the clever use of wallpaper as a headboard! Why didn’t i think of that!?!

26. That was a real treat!
    They were all so beautiful!

27. Sonja B says:

I can’t get this one or the one of the top 50 wallpaper sources to pin on pinterest. Sadness! Great articles.

1. Grace Bonney says:

they’re pinning fine for me- what’s the error you get?