best of: fonts in homes

One of my favorite things about looking through the sneak peek archives is spotting similarities in some very different homes, such as books, gallery walls and type! Whether three-dimensional letters or prints with a typographical emphasis, there are a lot of fonts in sneak peeks! In honor of today’s font theme, I picked 25 of my absolute favorites. I hope you enjoy them! — Amy A.

Image above: Sibella Court’s Australian home.

Image above: Letters from Mike Perry’s Saatchi and Saatchi project.

Image above: Stencils in the New York City home of Susan and William Brinson.

Image above: Letters from the Tate Modern painted a bright pink to contrast with the dark mantle in Gemma Ahren’s home in Leigh-on-Sea, England.

CLICK HERE for more fonts in sneak peeks!

Image above: Chalkboard in New Hampshire from Sneak Peek: EmersonMade.

Type art in home of Fossil art director Shay Ometz.

Image above: Letters and a vintage bus stop sign in the New York apartment of Susan and William Brinson.

Image above: Brooklyn apartment of Joel Holland.

Image above: The “R” lamp in Rocío Fueyo’s apartment in Spain came from a company that changed its name and threw away the old letters.

Image above: Number stools in Absolute Zero Degree’s U.K. live/work space.

Image above: The stainless steel “R” in Ryan Humphrey’s apartment in Jackson Heights, Queens, was rescued from the dumpster.

Image above: Print in the Brooklyn apartment of Swissmiss’ Tina Roth Eisenberg.

Image above: Katie Kirk’s illustration hangs above her bed in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Image above: Letters on Vanessa Dina’s mantle in San Francisco.

Image above: The rabbit hutch in Kristen Stocks’ Brooklyn apartment.

Image above: Sign on the office door of Jill Malek’s Brooklyn home.

Image above: Hatch Show Print hanging in the Gilah Press Baltimore studio.

Image above: Letters bring a pop of color to to Emma Cassi’s white living room in London.

Image above: Listening station at the Hammerpress Studio in Kansas City.

Image above: A found “B” hangs above the bed in Barb Blair’s South Carolina home.

Image above: French vocabulary shower curtain in Alissa and Jan’s Greenpoint, Brooklyn, apartment.

Image above: Hand-sewn artwork by Rachel Castle above the bed in Kelly Doust’s Sydney, Australia, home.

Image above: Teresa Grow found the huge “E” at the Pasadena City College flea market in Los Angeles.

Image above: In New York City, Sophie Blackall made this quilt out of 19th-century bed sheets. Each square has a line from a poem, song or book that means something to her.

Image above: Sarah made this bus blind for her kitchen in Australia after spotting a similar one out of her price range in a boutique.

1. Lumo says:

I love those fonts.

We have different vintage enamel signs with prohibitions and orders, marquee letters etc. I am also dreaming of those old bus scrolls, but they are very expensive now when they are in trend.

2. Stephanie says:

Wow many of these are great. I’m usually not a fan of word art that instructs me what to do in the room I’m currently in (“Eat!” “Love” “Dream” “Sleep”).

But these are very tasteful and feel like a piece of art, not an instruction. Great selections.

3. Marsha says:

Great post. My favorite is the bunny hutch.

4. Sarah says:

Oh, that mantelpiece is too good.

5. Justina says:

What a cool and comprehensive roundup! I love how each different font goes with the room– from rustic to more industrial, boho to modern- so fun!

6. Sing says:

Love words and letters in home decor. Just adds the perfect personal touch.

7. katie says:

Mike Perry’s Saatchi and Saatchi project is my favorite of all these wonderful, inspiring images. Thanks for putting together this collection and sharing it with us.

8. Maia says:

I’m a big fan of font day so far, especially loved the fun quiz over at pentagram.

9. I have random letters throughout our house, but none of them are as lovely as these! Sigh.

10. Truly inspired curatorial effort. I am now scouring my home to find all the accidental examples of “fonts” that I will make intentional! Thanks for assembling this thought provoking collection.

11. Roseanna says:

I have “Fames Optimum Condimentum”
    over the french doors in my kitchen!
    It’s a very old Roman (latin) saying:
    Hunger is the best seasoning!
    You can peek at it here

12. annawithlove says:

Fabulous post! Was really looking forward to this one, did not disappoint! :)

13. Thank you for this. So inspirational!!!

14. Great ‘type’ posts today Grace – really fun!

15. Lizet says:

Love this funky font style! I feel some inspiration coming on for my next ceramic collection.

16. kat says:

Loved this post, as a Graphic Designer I’m totally a type nerd, I ‘m so jealous of all the dumpster dived finds!!

17. I love the look of letters mixed in as architectural elements, especially ones that are so cliche as ‘eat’ ‘sleep’ or ‘bathe’.

18. claire says:

I like the pink NB against the grey wall and the black mantle.

19. erin says:

i don’t think i will ever tire of fonts.

we have a huge “N” that’s old and wooden- from a gas station in PA. i would love to paint it because it’s a really bad red, but it’s weathered and worn so i struggle with that.

i’d love to paint “hello” and “goodbye” or something on the bottom of my door after seeing these!

20. I recently visited firecracker press in St Louis and looking at all of the type based posters made my heart swoon!!

21. Kay Ostar says:

This is very unique. I like a lot! I especially like the ‘B’ above the bed – it’s B-eautiful!!!

22. jaclyn says:

let’s just say a little obsession with typography and have especially enjoyed seeing all of these great ways of incorporating type into your home. on a side note, i am loving font day (hooray!)

23. The pink letters in Gemma Ahrens house over the mantel are great,but what I really love are the deer skull & antlers over the mantel & the bird statues on the mantel,great grouping!

24. As a graphic designer, I absolutely love fonts used in interiors (I even have some posts of my own dedicated to the subject). I just can’t get enough of typography!

25. I love everything about fonts so thanks for all the posts.

26. A brilliant collection, well found!

27. Andrea says:

Such a lovely collection. Thank you for sharing it.

I pointed to a flour canister with
    “No. 3″ on it when I was out shopping with my husband recently, and he turned to me and said, with infinite fondness and a bit of amusement, “Wow. You really ARE a typography geek, aren’t you?”

Why yes, yes I am. I *heart* me some letters and numbers.

28. Justine says:

This is one of the best “Best Ofs” on D*S! Ahhh! As a graphic designer I just love love love this collection, the only thing I love more is dogs so Best of: Dogs takes the cake but this is an awesome silver metal!

29. Lauren says:

Beautiful rooms!! Im a little obsessed! I think I need to start redecorating!

30. albeit... says:

Fonts galore! I think my favorite room is….ALL OF THEM! I’ve decided I’m going to start with A and work my way down the alphabets!

31. Jane says:

thanks for this post. I love fonts. There I admit it!

32. Evita says:

Yay! applause.gif. :)

33. Thanks so much for sharing these “best ofs!” I love, love, love typography in home decorating. Who knew so many other people did too?

34. all-you-need-is-fonts says:

It really is amazing how just one well-placed, appropriate font, can change the atmosphere of a space.

35. Thanks for this post. I didn’t realize fonts could be used in the home in so many ways! Great look.

36. Nice collection. As a typographic purist, I must point out that many of these examples include letters or lettering, not fonts or typefaces. A font is a collection of prefabricated characters made to be used together in typography. What you see above is mostly handmade or template letters taken from their font context or never made as a font in the first place.

But this takes nothing away from their aesthetic value. I’d just alter the title a bit: “Best of letters in homes.”