before & after: kristen’s lamp + jesse’s desk

We see a lot of lovely lamp makeovers, but it’s not every day that someone tackles the lampshade. An ugly base can be fixed with a simple paint job, but recovering a shade is a different beast. It’s a shame that this beautiful lamp from Kristen isn’t going to be mass marketed; I would snatch one up in a heartbeat! Her fabric choice — taken from an old shower curtain — is the perfect pairing with the base, and the glossy white finish complements the faceted lamp shape far better than the tinny brass did. The best part? The lamp only cost $5! If you ever need to unload this lamp, Kristen, you know who to call :) Great job! — Kate

I’m not sure if this is a permanent installation or just a creatively styled photo shoot, but there’s something wonderfully surreal about this outdoor desk set up. Jesse runs a little furniture shop in Santa Cruz called 9 Red, and when he saw this pine desk, his creative gears immediately started cranking. He painted the desk ivory and then added lovely silver fleur-de-lis patterns in varying sizes. The results are quite beautiful, especially when paired with the plain wood chair and the wire basket. The desk combines French country, rustic vintage and simple modernism, which I’m absolutely loving. Click here to see more of his creations and be sure to check our his shop site, as well. Amazing work, Jesse!

1. Stephanie says:

LOVE that lamp. I think I’m gonna need a DIY wednesday lamp shade tutorial now!

2. Sensible says:

The lamp is fun, and I second the request for the lamp shade tutorial. I have a lamp that needs a shade!

3. agnes szucs says:

i love that beautiful, sunny after pic of the desk!
    xo
    agnes

4. Karen says:

I’m not sure how old that shower curtain is — it sure looks a lot like one I saw at Target!

Of course, now that I’m looking for it on the Target website, I can’t actually find it … but here’s a picture of it on the Amazon website, anyway: http://amzn.to/dCmi8J

Target has a lot of really cute prints on cotton shower curtains lately. http://amzn.to/cpCnnd would look really cute on a rectangular or cylindrical lampshade for a child’s room. http://amzn.to/ayEYcU is a much busier pattern, but it’d look just as good on just about any shape of lampshade — since the busy pattern would be a lot more forgiving, without requiring you to match up the fabric along a horizontal or vertical plane.

5. Catherine says:

Hooray! Before and after day is my favorite. A lampshade tutorial would be awesome… My only attempt left a lot to be desired! It’s got to be easier with a uniformly sized shade, but a formula for measuring how to cut fabric for the ones that are larger around bottom than on top would be especially helpful. :)

6. Jamie says:

yes, i recognized that pattern immediately as the one i saw online at target! it can’t be that old, i only saw it there a few weeks ago. the lamp looks great!!

7. Lucie says:

Loves that lamp makeover, especially the shade. Agreed that a shade tutorial would be tops! More possibilities if you can DIY…

8. Susan says:

Lampshade tutorial – I think we all agree. Two lamps in a closet & one in a corner. Ready & waiting!

9. d'Auria says:

I’m originally from Santa Cruz and I didn’t even know about her shop! Excited to check it out!

10. Jojo says:

That lamp shade is fabulous – it was made from the exact same shower curtain I have in my bathroom! I got it on sale at taget for $20. I love the print but never thought of using it to make something with it!

11. that desk is a little cutie pie. LOVE the fleur de lys stencils!

12. Love the lamp, well everything!!

13. Jesse says:

WOW! thank you for putting my desk up! I feel so honored, I’m really glad you all like it! For the record, I’m a “he”. Haha, I guess it comes with the territory having a name like Jesse. I put my blog link in my name here in case anyone would like to see my other stuff. Thanks again design sponge!

14. John says:

wow!…all of pictures looking very very beautiful…I really love it…
    Thanks a lot for sharing such a nice post…

Thanks again a lot…and please keep it up.

Regards,
    John

15. jacqueline says:

Nice job on the lamp! I’m going to have to hunt down something similar for my own project..

16. Geraldine says:

wow..the lamp looks awesome.. but what I love most is the table.. I never thought that it could be that lovely after what you did..

The lamp and table with definitely look good together..

17. The lamp is superb!!! Such an amazing job!

18. Carolina says:

Love this lamp idea. Hubs and I have had difficulty finding a cheap lamp that we’d both love. Never thought to paint one and re-invent the shade.

19. Sarita says:

Great lamp! What did you use to paint the base? I found a goldish finish standing lamp and now think I could paint it white as well? Thanks for sharing.

20. Kristen says:

Hi! I’m the owner of the lamp re-do I am so sorry to be so slow, but I have posted a lamp shade cover tutorial if you’re still interested in how I did it. It is here:

Thanks for all the kind comments on my lamp! & thanks D*S for featuring it!

21. Sammy says:

hi, I have a desire to become an interior designer, and these ideas are blowing my mind! They’re beautiful, pretty, wonderful and all of the above! :) keep on going!