before & after: cate’s gift wrap alphabet cards

Today’s first Before & After project from Cate definitely yielded one of those “Why-didn’t-I think-of that?” moments for me. Cate found this amazing printed alphabet gift wrap by Sukie on sale while shopping at the Papier Gourmet in Portland and she had the ingenious notion to turn it into laminated letter cards for her son, Tucker. I love how quick, easy and inexpensive this is, plus it makes for a perfect gift when cutely tied up, as Cate has done. Tucker seems to think it’s a pretty awesome idea, as well. Thanks for sharing, Cate! — Kate

1. Daria says:

I did something similar with little alphabet rubbers I found at the supermarket: I made stamps with them… have a look if you mind: http://ladaridari.blogspot.com/2010/10/alphabet-stamps.html

2. desiree says:

such a clever idea!

3. Elisabete says:

That gift wrap also can be found in the Tate Modern’s gift shop. for 1,5 £.

I buy one there.

4. great idea – I buy tea towels and turn them into cheap and cheerful cushions – i also love making things for and with my children – if you’ve time check out our, particularly their, halloween makes this week!

5. Meredith Wnek says:

Wonderful idea! I love that the letters have some style promoting some creativity in the recipient of this adorable gift from a Mom to her son!

6. Nancy Scheeler says:

What a clever idea to adapt well-designed wrapping paper into a low-cost learning tool! Way to go, Cate and Tucker!

7. Laura says:

What a great idea! I love the original paper and would have been in a similar position, trying to find something to make of it… Thanks for sharing this delightful and useful idea!

8. Genius! I will have to tell my wife about this to use at her school.

9. Wendy says:

Cate – Wonderful, creative idea! Tucker looks very smart and cute in his picture! Both Finn and Arielle would love these too – when they get a little older – but it’s never too soon to introduce letters and words – and the lamination makes them “drool proof”!!!

10. Sara Porter says:

Brilliant idea – and seems like something I could actually do:) Thanks for featuring. Cate’s son Tucker is beautiful!

11. shawne says:

love this idea! & cool t-shirt, Tucker!

12. hi-d says:

Awesome idea! Love it!

13. Laurel says:

What a fun way to learn one’s letters… a lovely break from the plastic primary colored ones that always wind up under my couch. Great Idea Cate!

14. Tori Barnes says:

Such a fun idea! love it! I can’t wait to give it a try with my nephews!

15. Lauren says:

WOW – this rocks! I am so proud of you and your work!!

16. chelsea says:

such an amazing idea…and my son, Sutter, has the same T-shirt!!

17. Emily says:

Love. Love. Love. Adorable & affordable!

18. Cate says:

Loving all the comments! From near and afar: from here in Maine, the northwest, Italy, Netherlands, and the UK! Very cool!

19. Lisa says:

very fun. my son has the same shirt. two fun things in one post.

20. Elaine Philbrick says:

I love their size – fun for kids to handle. Very quick-witted to immediate identify its other creative use!

21. Diane@2stews says:

This is not only a great and ingenious idea, it shows her son to think outside of the box…the gift box, in this case!!

22. Amy says:

I love the idea Cate! It would be great to use these in my classroom to introduce different fonts!

23. Pamela Moser says:

Cate,
    That is amazing. You are so clever!
    Pam

24. Lisa says:

Great idea! So much fun for kids!