before & after: austin’s barn wood wall + bear’s chair

When I first laid eyes on this project, I went absolutely cuckoo bananas. What I wouldn’t give for a blank room in my home to install a salvaged wood wall! This lovely version was made by Austin, a photographer living in Nashville, which explains the lovely, well-composed “after” shot. Austin saw a similar installation in a recording studio using new lumber and he decided to make his own out of reclaimed barn wood. I highly approve of Austin’s decision: the reclaimed boards have so much character and beauty and they look wonderful with his furniture and styling choices. But how does he get any work done? I would spend all day just gazing at this loveliness. You can see more of Austin’s lovely photo work on his blog. Thanks for sharing, Austin! — Kate

I’m really excited to post this project, not only because it’s inventive and lovely, but also because I was dying to type the words “Bear’s chair.” What can I say, I’m a sucker for a good rhyme! Actually, Bear’s chair wasn’t a terrible specimen to begin with — I could see the camel leather and the mid-century frame dropping straight onto the set of Mad Men. But admittedly the pale, solid upholstery was a little bland. The linen fabric and stamped text add a lovely rustic touch and definitely make the chair more of a stand-out piece. Great work on the chair, Bear! Okay that’s the last time, I promise . . .

1. Katherine says:

The wood wall is amazing, I would never get work done either!

2. I love the wood–so cabiny. The chair is wonderful too.

3. Jamie says:

AWESOME!!! what a great idea! i will have to store that in the back of my mind for the day i own a house. love it :)

4. that wall is just out-of-control!! seriously, it’s so fabulous and cool i think i might actually turn green with jealousy. that being said, if you’re ever in dallas and come across a girl who resembles a green smurfette, you’ll know you found me.

5. The wood wall is fabulous! It reminds me of Katie over at Bower Power, she & her husband did something similar with their nursery:

6. diana says:

love that wall. Brings that corner to life.

7. ale says:

I can see why you went coocoo bananas over it. It’s fabulous!

8. April says:

Love the barn wood look. A friend gave us a lot of it (free!), so we’re using it in our tiny house, too.

9. Melissa S says:

So awesome! Where can someone get reclaimed wood?

10. Jen Dean says:

I simply love this room. That wall is absolutely fantastic. I love wooden features in a room and this really does the trick with the reclaimed barn wood. So inspirational. This goes in the “maybe someday” file, for sure.

11. I love the chair, using burlap sacks is so trendy!

12. Austin says:

I found the wood on Craigslist! Just searched ‘barn wood’ and ‘reclaimed lumber’ & came across a guy that sells it for a living. I went to his property & got to pick exactly what I wanted. Kid in a candy store – most definitely.

13. Jenny says:

That chair is fantastic – what a transformation. It’s given me ideas …

14. christine says:

I’ve been wanting to do that to a wall in my house and thought I was crazy cause I couldn’t find any pics of someone who had done it. LOVE IT!

15. Erin says:

i LOVE your before and afters. SO inspiring! I am amazed by peoples creativity and vision!

16. Rox says:

luv the wood on the wall, it brings warmth to the room.

17. Really enjoying the horizontal wooden slats. smart, easy and insta-cozy.

18. I love that you say “cuckoo bananas” ……
    Great looking wall- love it and love your commentary!

19. Ashton says:

I’ve been semi-stalking Austin’s work and twitter (he’s hilarious!) and I was so excited to see this here! It really is a beautiful wall.

20. Margaret says:

Seriously, the chair is fantastic! Where did you purchase the fabric for the chair?

21. Barb Peden says:

I like the character of your wall. thank you for being adventurous. I own a 100 yr old home and when renovating i found barnboard on 2 inside walls — i love it.. and i am in the process of freshening them up. I was fearful of what they would look like, and had no idea as to clear coat or stain. Now i feel anything will look great..HEY its real wood–right :)

22. Juliane says:

Nice contrast with the lumber widths/textures/colors – not sure I love the crown moulding with it, but very creative work!!

23. Bea79 says:

It was more beatiful beforeeeeeeee!!!

24. Robert Staab says:

Very nice job, I reclaim old barns and sell the wood but hardly get a chance to see someones finished project. well done

25. Deb says:

Does anything need to be done to the barn wood before installing? Like sanding, washing? Concerned about termites.. thanks