weekly wrap up + georgia meets california wedding

After last night’s tornado drama in Brooklyn (Those ripped up tree images are 4 blocks from our apartment!) I’m ready to end the week on a happy note- especially one involving food. Ginger Pierce and Preston Madson are executive chefs at an amazing restaurant called Freeman’s in New York City (They’re in the midst of opening a new restaurant, too!). After meeting in culinary school, they fell in love and recently they were married at the Onderdonk House in Ridgewood, Queens. The big day was a real family affair, with loved ones and friends shooting photos and manning the grills. The primary food was a pig roast so the event details were pig-themed, ranging from a custom pig pinata to pig invites (by artist Matt Poor) and stamps. Because the bride and groom are from California and Georgia, they celebrated their home states with framed vintage pennants and opted for peach pie instead of a traditional cake. I love getting to peek inside a special day (especially one with so many great decorative details) that has such a homespun feel to it. Thanks so much to Brita Olsen who styled the wedding and to Jenny Evelyn for sharing these photos.

I’m heading off to pick up some supplies for Design*Sponge At Home (we’re shooting the chapter openers next week with the Brinsons!) so until Monday, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! If you missed anything this week (like Bike-Monday!) a summary of this week’s highlights is below:

CLICK HERE for more wedding shots (and vendor details) after the jump!

1. Oh, the colors! They are simply fantastic.

2. The pig pinata is perfect. What a lovely wedding.

3. Amy says:

I may have missed an entry, but is there no desktop calendar this month? I love those!

4. amelia says:

@Amy–I saw from other posts that they are taking a break from the calendars in order to focus on the website re-design & subsequent launch. so no cal, sadly. make a diy calendar and then tape it onto your computer screen : )

5. Connie Lyu says:

So so cute :). Love the unconventional details!

6. vanessa says:

I’m not sure that I can comprehend how anyone can decorate their wedding with images of the animal that they are eating – seems very callous to me.

7. This wedding is just precious! I so love that people are doing whatever they choose to celebrate their special day…true reflection of individuality. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

8. Kit says:

I’m from Georgia and am completely obsessed with the vintage georgia flag. wonder where they found it? BEAUTIFUL wedding.

9. Sam says:

I agree with Vanessa on this one – show some respect to the poor pig rather than make a pinata out of it and beat it with sticks. Tacky.

10. ROXY MARJ says:

LOVE THIS! Especially the pennant flag! I collect those and can never get enough of em! :)

11. Pamela says:

It may not be how you would plan a wedding, but it’s not about you now is it? They look very happy, that’s all that matters. Love the sunflower bouquet.

12. Lois says:

The tornadoes and the pig! The shoes are great, I had to wonder if they were pigskin. And I say beat the heck out of that pinata. I doubt the pig, you know, the one that got et, really knew the difference. What a sweet off beat wedding.

13. copywaitress says:

sweet and funny! like a pig ;)

14. slapp says:

Amy. They dont work at Freeman’s anymore. They are now running Peel’s, a freemans sister restautrant

1. grace says:

slapp

the info i was given said they’re still working there and were working on opening the new restaurant soon. i’ll double check with the source who sent me the wedding submission.

grace

15. Darling theme! Guess my hubby & I could have used it as he is from GA and I from CA. The pennant flags are brilliant!

xo,
    cristin

16. caitlin says:

design*sponge, you have completely ruined me. i was living a simple existence, unaware of all the beautiful things out that. i took no notice of type design or book jackets or color schemes or any of that. and then blam. i find you. and now i can’t stop noticing it. i’m buying food and books that i didn’t need or even like, just because i fall in love with the design. i’ve been in london three weeks now, and i have more pictures of grocery store packaging in marks&spencer than anything else. thanks a lot jerks.

1. grace says:

caitlin

sorry to have added that new obsession to your life- hope you don’t really think we’re jerks ;)

grace

17. Ryan says:

I love the candle votives, where are they from?

and I second Caitlin’s post, I’ve been sharing my new found passion with my friends and family and now they all think I’m destined to be a designer or party planner :).

18. Jackie says:

Nice ideas that you put in action.
    I like that pig thing :)

19. jenna says:

Can you please tell me who designed her dress – I love it!!

20. Brita says:

Hi everyone thanks for your comments, even if the pig theme isnt for everybody.. I was Ginger’s planner so I have a few answers to your questions. First off the couple haven’t left Freemans they are just very focused on the new sister place, Peels which is now open for lunch/brunch. The votives were vintage jello molds I found on Ebay, the pennant flags were also an ebay find. The dress is by Marisa bridal which can be found at Kleinfelds, and the flowers are by Joseph Corns.

21. Elizabeth says:

Great color combinations and the print work is querky but with beautiful typography!

22. Ginger says:

Hey Guys! Thanks for all the awesome comments. Brita, Jenny, Joe, Matt & everyone who contributed made it an amazing event! Just to clarify, Preston & I are still very much at Freemans Restaurant. We are also managing the kitchen of the new restaurant Peels. We are working hard on both & hope that anyone in the NYC area will come & see us. Thanks again for all the great feedback, although most of the credit goes to Brita & Jenny for making us look cooler than we actually are.

Cheers!