top 20 fabric resources

image above via Diary of Dinners

After last week’s top 50 wallpaper sources post, I started getting requests for all sorts of “top” lists for basic home resources. So today I decided to write one for my favorite design essential: fabric! If I had to give up everything in my home and only focus on one key design element, it would be fabric. Everything in my being responds to fabric — I love bright colors, playful patterns, and interesting textures. And man, find me a great striped fabric and you have a friend for life. So today I thought I’d round up my top 20 fabric resources, ranging from inexpensive and vintage designs to higher-end trade studios. I’ll keep it real and say that I am not a fan of trade-only designs. I understand why designers do it, but I only recommend trade-only fabric if I think it’s definitely worth the extra cost of hiring a designer or consultant to buy. So 99% of these sources will be open to the public because beautiful fabric should be available to everyone, trade or not. Have a favorite fabric studio or shop that’s missing here? Feel free to add it below! I’m always looking for great places to buy fabric. xo, grace

Resources are listed in no particular order.

• Purl Soho: This NYC institution is my go-to shop for great fabrics online or in person. They have a phenomenal collection of colorful basics and imported designs from Japan.
  • Repro Depot: Repro is closed for the summer (due to open again soon) but when they re-open, they’ll resume being one of the best places to buy affordable fabrics and vintage/retro-style textiles online.
  • Ikea: The strength of Ikea’s fabric collection improves every year. Though the ease of procuring it in person depends on the customer service quality at your local store, you can often buy their newer styles online. Their modern florals are my favorite.
  • Marimekko: Marimekko’s bold designs are always a good choice if you need a strong dash of color and pattern.
  • Hable Construction: Ok, trade-only alert. Hable only sells their fabric design to the trade, but I’m hoping that if I keep begging them every year, they’ll eventually change their policy. They make my favorite pattern in the world (Beads in Green Bean) and are definitely worth the extra fee of hiring a designer or D&D building to order for you. Update: the Hable team told me that they now have “Hable Design Service” and can facilitate fabric orders and serve as your designer!
  • Skinny LaMinx: I’ve loved watching South African designer Heather Moore expand her collection of textiles over the years. Her playful style has a slightly retro feel but always comes in a modern color palette.
  • Studio Bon: Bonnee Sharp’s sophisticated patterns are in my top three at all times. They’re the perfect combination of fun and ladylike.
  • Mod Green Pod: Eco-friendly fabrics in playful patterns. Their “Aspire” pattern in grey is one of my current loves.
  • Ebay: Ebay is an endless source for amazing vintage (and new) fabric. Whether you’re looking for vintage Swedish textiles or discount patterns from contemporary designers, someone’s selling it here. (The craft section is great for inexpensive options.)
  • Just Scandinavian: If you lust after Josef Frank’s iconic patterns like I do, this shop is a must. They stock most of Mr. Frank’s patterns. (For the majority of Frank patterns, you need to call to place an order, but you can view the pattern, price, and availability online.)
  • Textile Arts: This great online boutique sells a nice selection of Marimekko, Ljungbergs, and Mod Green Pod fabric.
  • Imagine Fabric: A nice one-stop shop for fabrics from designers like Joel Dewberry and Amy Butler.
  • Hancock’s: Hancock’s may not be super cutting-edge, but they are a great source for basics like toile, plaid, and stripes.
  • Joann Fabrics: Ditto for Joann Fabrics. Not the “coolest” right off the bat, but they have a great collection of classic designs for reasonable prices.
  • Frelis: I love their basic linens. I’ve been dying to find a place to use their “Wasabi” linen.
  • Contemporary Cloth: This website could use a little face lift, but they stock a nice range of designer, organic, and simple cotton fabrics.
  • Modern Fabrics: If you like classic designs from companies like KnollTextiles and Maharam, this shop has you covered with sophisticated designs.
  • Rubie Green: Super chic fabrics (I have the zig zag fabric on my office chair) from Lonny Magazine‘s Michelle Adams.
  • Sew Mama Sew: A nice selection of small and large-scale prints.
  • Etsy: Etsy is a great spot to find up and coming designers. Some of my favorites are Kalla, Melbomba, and Frumafar.
  • Spoonflower: Custom printed fabrics at reasonable prices from new and up-and-coming designers. You can also print you own designs!
  1. Jill says:

Try They’ve got great selections and at reasonable prices! Oh, they’re Canadian…for all of the Northerners who read your blog!

2. Claudia says:

Thank you so much for this post. This is so useful! May I just add one more to the list:

3. Wow, I am honoured to bits to have my little company included amongst that list of luminaries. Thanks so much for including Skinny laMinx, Grace. I often ascribe the growth of my brand largely to the amazing exposure and kudos resulting from a Design*Sponge endorsement. Much appreciated. xx

4. YAY! Thanks for this post, Grace! We are just starting a fabric search to use on a fantastic old chair, and I’ve been looking for fabric with gray wood grain.

LOVE Vogue Fabric in Chicago, the place just goes on and on…
    and this one, I remember from living in Miami.

5. Shelly says:

This list is GOLD!! I’m copying and giving it to my upholstery classes. Just got back from NY and a trek to Mood Fabrics–Upholstery. Nice selection and good prices. There was so much to look at, I decided to fly home and look at their website when I could calm down from fabric design overload.
    My online video upholstery classes will be available soon.

1. grace says:

thanks shelly! let me know when your classes are up!! :)

6. Alethea says:

Thank you, Grace, this list is priceless. Some of these wonderful sites are new to me.

1. grace says:

thanks alethea :)

7. Zina says:

Thanks, Grace – I don’t often get into NYC, so it’s nice to know where I can get Liberty fabrics when I’m there! I do like shopping in Liberty’s, though…something about the way they display is really special. I like going in just to wander around and see how they’re displaying things when I’m in London. (Especially at Christmas!)

I agree with people who mentioned, too — I’ve worked as a theatre costumer and owned my own design and sewing businesses since I was 18, and was def one of the places I’d hit often when I was making Irish stepdancing costumes. Great sales!

8. Erin says:

This is so great! The fabric choice in Canada isn’t the best, so I think I really need to hop over the border soon to check out some of these stores in person! I’m going through all the shops listed in the comments now. A couple people have mentioned Hawthorne Threads. I just wanted to say that they have a colour matcher – it lists all the colours in the fabric and when you click on one, it will find any fabrics they have that have the same colour in them. It’s a fantastic feature that I have never seen in any other online fabric stores. I also ordered from recently – they often have great sales.

9. Amy says:

Fat Quarter Shop is a go-to for me. One of the places I found for many contemporary designers. Can buy in small to large quantities.

10. Les Fabriques, in Charolottesville, Virginia has tons of awesome fabric. They carry Liberty of London, Michael Miller, Alexander Henry, Betsy Johnson, Armani silks, etc. They also teach classes in house for all ages and cool ones like Project Challenge, Camp Stitch, Vintage Reconstruction, etc. They are very resourceful and have been in business for 33 years. They have a website but it is in the workings I think

11. I am an indie designer on (as Kiddins) and love the selection of designs that I see each week. It is constantly growing due to new contests and creative artists. Also, when I do need something locally… I second that Britex in SF is grate. if you are on a budget, big cities often have stores that offer closeouts only… There’s a few in SF. My mom is a sales rep for Blank Quilting Fabrics and often visits these stores with the lower priced fabrics. Please support the DIYers on Spoonflower… It is made in the USA by artisans :) You can’t beat that!

12. AlpineGypsy says:

Oh boy….

Now WHY did you have to go and do this??? I have a feeling this spells trouble for the old pocketbook. *wink*

13. Lynn Taylor says:

I am loving fabrics from Europe lately, especially Westfalen fabrics.
    The selection of European imports at is amazing, plus they have a great selection of notions as well.
    The owner is super nice and shipping fast.

14. Sara(Mrs.B.) says:

Calico Corners, I don’t know if they are nationwide?

15. Valerie says:

Not a national source, but if you are in the DC area, you’ll fall in love with G Street Fabrics. A local chain with 3 stores in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. LOVE.

16. Marissa says:

Thank you so much. I’ve been looking for fabric resources forever. Now I can recover the chairs I’ve been collecting. :)

17. MelanieO says:

Taking the opportunity to plug my own shop here. If you’re looking for organic cotton fabrics, I have a nice, colorful selection:

18. Uh oh. This will be dangerous. :)

19. Julianne says:

Thanks for this! Is there any way you could do one of these on BEDDING?

20. N.Cruz says:

This is post is awesome, great resources here. I have been to Ikea several times for fabric, love their choices. Have you you guys ever been to They have a large selection of Fashion and Home Fabrics.

21. Julie says:

Great list, thanks so much for the resources! One of my absolute favorite sites that I don’t see on the list is …they sell fabrics and pillows and other accessories. Beautiful designs and colors!

22. Nichola says:

Don’t forget Tessuti Fabrics in Australia-

23. Janelle says:

I’ve been ordering quite a bit from Badskirt in Australia.

24. Shelly says:

If you’re in Dallas check out Murray Goldberg/Golden D’or, and just down the street, Best Fabrics. Both on Harry Hines Boulevard.
    I’m also a fan of
    Thanks for helping me find more ways to spend money on fabric!

25. Vanessa says:

I love this list – and Skinny La Minx is the bomb! I wish we had Mood in Australia…

How about vintage fabrics, though? Shameless plug – and we ship worldwide every day!

What a crackin’ list – thank you!

26. Jsnr says:

Amazing list! Thank you! Love Contemporary Cloth

27. Ashley says:

Sooo true about the Ikea fabric thing. I can never get the fabric I want cut because there is never anyone over there to help me. I thought it was just my Ikea.

28. Andrea says:

Hi, thank you for the very inspiring list. Recently I found an online-retailer strictly for organic cotton in Germany:

29. Jane says:

Don’t forget we carry 100,000’s of cut order fabrics for the home. We can beat anyone’s’ prices on cut order fabrics. I agree with Vanessa this is a Shameless plug but can’t hide the truth! This is a great web site! Glad I found you.

30. Heather says:

If looking for cotton knits prints that you will not find anywhere else check out Hundreds of different prints and solids in cotton jersey, cotton lycra, cotton ribbed, and more!

31. carmen says:

LOVE your choices,but you are missing one fabric company that is amazing they always have inventory in house and they ship right away

32. Ashley says:

Does anybody know of a place where you can find vintage fabric? Or a good place to learn more about it?

33. CraftFabrics says:, They have a great selection and are pretty darn cheap too! They’ve also got some cute ideas in their project/blog section.

34. Ruthy says:

I personally love
    they specialize in beautiful natural fabrics

35. Donna Gelgur says:

You left out fox fabrics in Los Angeles. Alexandra Corwin is an incredible rep with a sharp eye for fashion . Contact her. 213-489-1777

36. eliza says:

i’m searching everywhere for some versace fabric in australia with a quick turnaround……. navy / blue / golds??? can anyone help me?

37. gsgetsy says:

We provide largest collection in Scandinavian Decor simplicity and uniqueness in style, including home, office restaurant, kitchens and bathrooms.

38. Kristen says:

It may be too late to ask, but your list mentions Ebay. When do you think a deal is too good to be true. Like I recently seen Scalamadre Designer fabric for Less than half of retail. Does that mean there is something wrong with it? I find it hard to believe someone purchased 3 yards too much of a $300 dollar a yard fabric. Is this legit?

39. robin gromel says:

Another great site for fabrics is – they have huge fabric options and great customer service

40. Franny says:

You might also want to check out Although she mostly sells garment fabrics, there are quite a number there that could be used for homed too.

Great prices!

41. Brenda says:

Hello. I’m trying to figure out what manufacturer makes a particular fabric sold by Century Furniture. I want to make a couple pillows and my local furniture store quoted me over $600 for the fabric. I’m using two fabrics and one of them I found online for $15/yard, and they want to charge me $190 for three yards so I know they seriously jacked up their prices. The other fabric (which is more expensive) they want more than $450 for three yards so I want to shop around for it. How can I find out what manufacturers make their fabrics? I’ve been looking online all day until I’m practically blind and cannot find the fabric anywhere except on the Century site. Can you possibly help? If I had a list of the manufacturers they buy from I will comb them and see if I can buy in for less somewhere else. Thanks for your help!!!

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi brenda

i’m afraid without the name of the maker and pattern, i can’t find the source. if you have a picture of the pattern, you could try a reverse google image search to see if that brings anything up?

42. M. Manuel says:

Hi Brenda, I’m looking at finding a market for my fabric swatches as well as wanting to collaborate with designers. Any suggestions please? In the meantime I’m looking at the sites above. Thanks.

43. Larissa Fuller says:

Does anyone know of fabric suppliers who have a good selection of text prints – maybe random words/ fonts/ symbols?
    Slightly more gangsta, ghetto and modern in their design?

44. Vekash says:

Does anybody know where I could source the theatre ( hospital ) green cotton fabric. Thanks

45. Lisbet says:

Windmill fabrics in Boston is a fantastic shop. I have bought wool fabric several times that I made handbags of. They also have a good selection of cotton fabric. Worth a visit.

46. Danna says:

Can I take a sample design that I want and have a textile manufacturer produce it? Or do I only have the options of the textiles they have?

47. satrani says:

Great post.thank you for share it.