sneak peek: lila & tom

by

Kathleen Boonen is half Belgian and half Dutch, a stylist and a former editor for Vogue and Elle, and Jan Donhardt is a German who grew up in Ibiza and provides the entrepreneurial vision behind the couple’s agency, Lila & Tom. The two met in the south of France and together gave birth to Lila & Tom, and now they call Barcelona home. Lila & Tom are not only their two children, but also the inspiration for their fashion story agency dedicated to art direction and styling from concept to completion. This pair shares a great eye, so don’t miss the full post below! Thanks Jan and Kathleen! — Anne

Photos: Juan Carlos Ponsa and Enric Montes

Image above: Detail of the guest bedroom door, painted by my brother, Phillippe Boonen, who is an artist who lives between Barcelona and Paris.

Image above: Entry hall. We love the space in this apartment and how it is able to grow and change with our lives.

The “office” for Lila & Tom — in the same building, it allows us to spend more time with our children. Chairs and table found in “vide-greniers” (second-hand markets) and markets between Barcelona and Berlin. We love combining found objects with objects from the four corners of the globe.

Wood cable spool makes for a great table base for Lila to do her art. Old linen was used to recover the couches to hide flaws. The living room is a great place for the children to play their games.

Wood table was found in the streets of Madrid (we love finding pieces on the street — nothing makes us happier, yet we debate whether to bring it home or not) and repainted by Kathleen. The desk holds an old mirror, porcelain vase, glass and an old, broken chair whose function is purely decorative. The lamp is aluminum, and the lights are from Habitat.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Lila & Tom’s sneak peek after the jump!

Tom’s bed with metal letters on the wall.

Small frames with images of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, found at a sale in Provence. Rabbit lamp from Vinçon.

These floor tiles are original and very typical to old apartments in Barcelona. The closest we’ve seen are by a producer in France called Carocim (http://www.carocim.com/).

The foundation of the house is cement tiles, dating back to the beginning of the 20th century. Each pattern resembles a rug. The felt slippers are completely handmade and were found in one of Ali Baba’s caverns in the great brocantes [markets] of Barcelona.

Mobile from the Ivory Coast against mosquito netting from Ikea.

Old map from the market in Ibiza. Table and chairs from Ikea.

Old chair with plastic bull.

Pages of an old book on the wall.

Mask of the Comercial Bolsera.

1. Paula says:

Sharing everyone’s floor lust! Lovely home!

2. I heartily endorse the love for the floor tiles. They really make the house special and set the tone for all the gorgeous bits and pieces they have gathered together. Very inspiring. Wouldn’t we all love to move to Barcelona now…

3. What a beautiful home! The painted door is gorgeous, and those floors are AMAZING. Thanks for wonderful the sneak peek! :)

4. Vanessa says:

I agree with Mina. These floors are lovely but a pain to live with. Mine are pretty old and in rather good shape but they are difficult to clean and keep in good condition.
    You can buy new ‘mosaic hidràulic’ (that’s how it’s called in Catalan) here http://www.mosaicdelsur.com/Mosaico/index.html – and play a little with their tile pattern simulator.

5. Karen says:

Ah Barcelona! I would love to visit and explore – and this beautiful apartment is all the more incentive for me!! The light, the unique tiles of the floors – sometimes I wish American apartments (and homes!) weren’t so cookie-cutter.

6. hallie says:

The flooring took my breath away. To the two of you from Spain who say that they are difficult to clean and care for – can you explain why? I’m so curious. Thanks!

7. Jeanette says:

LOVE this home.Stunning!

8. I really like your home..

9. Adamantia says:

Congratulations! Your house is like a beautiful dream…
    Love from Greece!

10. bowiechic says:

I adore the flowers on the door. I would love to paint my front door like that but can’t paint apart from walls.Artistic in my head but hands don’t work like that.

11. kim says:

charismatic, charming chaos! xo

12. Elina says:

I Love this home!

13. Nuala says:

Could I possibly use the image of the old wooden cable spool for my IT coursework, I will mention you?

14. That’s awesome post. I’m sure i’ll visit again your blog.. Keep it up

15. Brandon says:

Another good website for looking at hydraulic tiles is http://www.rusticossanfrancisco.com/. It’s got an interactive page where you can build your own tile floor, change the colors, etc.

16. Pretty Awesome house .

Good Stuff i like most thanks for sahring

17. I was just finding some interior designs and came across this site. I am just WOW looking at the designs. So beautifully crafted. I wish I could do that at my home :)

18. Pauline says:

Hi, May i find out how do u paint your green door? the first photo. would love to paint it the same way. thanks much