simply color: ruthie sayles

This beautiful Victorian home located in east Nashville belongs to designer and skin therapist Ruthie Sayles and her husband Will. The house is mostly furnished with antiques passed down through their family or found at antique malls. In the dining room, the combination of elegant colors and décor create a classic space with a hint of southern charm. — Lauren

Palette
A. Briquette (Behr), PMS 484; B. Windham (Pratt & Lambert), PMS 420; C. Beach Sparkle (Valspar), PMS 636; D. Chocolate Sundae (Benjamin Moore), PMS 4695; E. Straw (Benjamin Moore), PMS 7507

Roundup
1. Lenox Dinnerware Chirp Collection, $12.00+; 2. Eva Rug, $199+; 3. Capri Blue Candle-In-A-Jar, $25.00; 4. Crystorama Chandelier, $863.99; 5. Antique Map, $14+; 6. Atwell Covered Jars, $49.99

1. Susan says:

Beautiful! The blues really pop and bring it to life

2. This is absolutely gorgeous! I was just telling my husband how much I want that china.

3. Catherine says:

I’ve been wondering, do you think gray would look okay with wood trim?

I’d like to redo my parents’ guest bedroom–and I’m loving gray, like everyone else in the world–but they’re strict traditionalists and have never painted their trim (and never will).

Thoughts?

1. grace says:

catherine

i think grey can look beautiful with a warn wooden trim- it really adds warmth to the grey paint :)

g

4. Catherine says:

Thanks Grace! I’m going to suggest it this weekend.

5. Andrea says:

HellllllllOOOOOO, Nashville!

So gorgeous. So proud of my hometown. :) May have to steal that palette. And chandelier. And buffet. And blue lamp.

Ruthie, if you’re reading this: I love your style. But don’t worry … the chandelier is safe. For now.

6. elsa says:

oh, I love the chirp plates! I love cats too(I have three and always want another) but I’m also a bird fan, my kitchen has a bird theme and these dishes would be just the thing for it!

7. timmi says:

I’m just scoring here with the color palettes, last week you posted some great ones for my girls’ room then this one for my dining and living room area. I have been trying to figure out how to pull the colors I want altogether thanks design sponge for your simply color posts!

8. Mai says:

Gorgeous palette! The wall color is amazing; it makes the sideboard really pop.

I’ve always loved decorating with maps. It always feel like a two-in-one bonus—-beauty + geography lesson. I can imagine people sitting around the table after a delicious meal, with brandy in hand, discussing the flora, fauna, geography, and history of the area.

*Note: I clicked on the link leading to maps for purchase on etsy.com. They too are beautiful. However, I noticed that some of the maps were once part of published books. The history buff in me always feels queasy about destroying original books.

Repurposing book pages has been going on for centuries, though. Medieval monks used to wash off ancient ink and write their text over it. New technology makes it possible to recover some of the text: http://www.archimedespalimpsest.org/mediacenter_articles-1-5-07.html.

9. My favorite color combination – serene & classy. Our little bungalow has natural wood trim & built-ins, with a depressing butternut squash color on the dining room walls, & some crazy wallpaper in the bath . This is giving me extra incentive to getting around to painting! Thanks for the inspiration!

10. barbara says:

I’ve been loving gray and white forever. A little concerned about its now being “trendy” and whether I can still expect it to last and not look dated when I use it. Any thoughts, Grace? Anyone?
    Thanks.

11. Rob from Texas says:

What a beautiful room! This couple has amazing taste. Would love to meet them sometime!

12. April says:

While I love the items in the roundup and generally love the justapoxisition of a steely grey with warmer hues – I am generally bored by this room. Something is lacking in its color story — something in the mint shading on the map, perhaps. This room’s saving grace, and piece-de-resistance, is the robin’s egg lamp.

13. Allison says:

Simply Color is my favorite posting every week. I’m a graphic designer who is always searching for a new blend of colors that compliment each other and pop (color is my biggest frustration), and I totally use these postings as a suggestion and guide. So thank you thank you!

14. Ruthie says:

Barbara- I have had my room painted that color for 6 years and never regret it for a second- I have gotten loads of compliments on it! I think u will love it! And rob from tx- thanks for your comment!! My boy is also from tx:)
    thanks for all the kind comments- Ruthie Sayles

15. Barbara says:

@Ruthie: Six is a lovely number. Thanks for the nudge.

16. Connie says:

I love the ‘birdie’ plates. Beautiful color!! beautiful room!!

17. arre says:

this is beautiful – like sweet Ruthie!