living in: when harry met sally

by

There is something about fall in New York that triggers visions of When Harry Met Sally for me. Chilly mornings, tweed blazers, walks in Central Park, the impending doom of spending one’s life alone . . . you know, the usual. Facing this fall less attached than in years past, I’m feeling the urge to snuggle up to a dreamy early ’90s version of singledom in New York.

Images above: 1. See by Chloe Blazer, $242; 2. Christys’ Bowler Hat, $285; 3. H & H Bagels, $14/dozen; 4. Outdoor Lamp Post, $302; 5. Little Black Book, $20; 6. CZ Solitaire Engagement Ring, $117; 7. Marigold Leather Watch, $55; 8. Cheap Monday Driving Gloves, $72; 9. Woven Wool Throw, $29; 10. Glycerin Preserved Leaves, $19

When Harry Met Sally gets New York and all of its quirks just right. Perfect date spot? Egyptian Wing at the MET. Perfect date sandwich? Katz’s pastrami. Perfect movie to cry yourself to sleep to? Casablanca. Perfect day to fall in love? New Years. Perfect romantic comedy? Absolutely, hands down, 100%, When Harry Met Sally. — Amy M.

Images above: 1. Arched Mirror, $150; 2. New York Skyline Set, $14; 3. Kitchen Clock, $28; 4. Casablanca DVD, $8; 5. Drinking Bird, $6; 6. Katz’s Deli Pastrami, $23/pound; 7. Push-button Desk Phone, $35; 8. Katz’s Deli Half-Sour Pickle, $1; 9. Diner Coffee Mug, $5

1. Julia Denos says:

p.s. you completely and totally hit the nail on the head with the styling in this one!

2. sarah says:

sometimes it’s like you’re living inside my brain with these posts…it’s a chilly fall night, so i decided to pop this very movie in my dvd player — and then you feature it! bananas.

“her face was burned on my brain.” love it.

3. Kristel says:

This is one of my favorite movies of all time!

4. Jamie says:

You could also help Marie (Carrie Fisher) by throwing in those red suede pumps she’s looking for. And how about some Mallomars (the greatest cookies of all time)?

5. awww you made me want to watch When Harry Met Sally (again, for the hundredth time!

6. Kim says:

OMG. Flashback! I had that blouse in mauve! And I think I wore it in my 7th grade picture with that same frizzy hair!! LOL!

7. Pam says:

I cannot, cannot, cannot believe I haven’t seen this movie! sigh…and it’s autumn, my favorite time of the year…I’ll have to pick the perfect evening…..

8. geek+nerd says:

One of my favorite movies EVER. And yes – where is the wagon wheel coffee table!? HAHA

9. holy yes! i was watching this the other day and swooning over the aesthetic! x

10. Erin says:

I love love love this movie! And you’re so right about it being great for fall. When they meeet again at the book store is the perfect fall day, if I remember correctly. I also love how it spans different fashions as the years go by. So great! Now I have to watch it again….

11. katie says:

the perfect almost fall post. love it.

12. Lisa says:

Perfect seasonal flashback – plus don’t you kind of miss how Meg Ryan use to look!

13. I think I know every line of this movie by heart. And I can’t believe I didn’t miss the wagon wheel coffee table (and pecan pie!) until I read through the comments.

Love this post. Love this series. Love that (except for that strange troll people movie last week) you’ve been pretty much working your way through my personal movie library. I knew this was going to be fun when your first post was Out of Africa, my all time favorite film. It’s been a great trip down movie memory lane. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next. :)

14. cailen says:

LOVE that movie. and love all the great nyc fall shots in it : ) fall is my favorite season for clothes, food, colors…everything!

i actually just wrote about all my personal fall faves on my blog. hot cider. falling leaves. sweaters. i <3 fall.

15. Susan says:

I knew the way you know about a good melon. That’s how I felt about this blog years ago.

16. Tina says:

This is a great movie to kick off the fall season…. just what I’m in the mood for!

17. Brittany says:

great living in!! a fantastic movie that needed to be featured. loved it! :)

18. vero says:

ooh, i don’t know about that cheese on the pastrami. katz’s might be horrified.

19. Chrissy says:

In case others haven’t said it – a big giant drawing pad on an easel is needed for the pictionary party scene: Baby Fish Mouth! Baby Fish Mouth!

(oh, and would you or have you ever do a Living in Twin Peaks entry? Pretty please?)

20. Mert says:

brilliant. sure you could have included a wagon wheel coffee table or a pictionary board or a karaoke machine, but the fact that you included the drinking bird-thingie is all it took for me. also loved your intro to this. (the impending doom of spending life alone… you know, the usual.)