living in: love story

Love Story is my favorite movie. My #1 (without a doubt) and my go-to answer when asked. I’ve nervously saved it for this column until I could summon the courage to take on my Holy Grail of movies. Don’t get me wrong, Citizen Kane it’s not. It can be silly and melodramatic, but also deliciously witty and an absolute slice of preppy perfection. Sigh, 1970 Harvard — you sure looked good.

1. Vintage Harvard Pennant, $20; 2. Dsquared Wool Plaid Scarf, $165; 3. J. W. Hume Legacy Bag, $410; 4. Revolver by The Beatles, $10; 5. Pilot Varsity Fountain Pen, $2.60; 6. Carven Double-Breasted Coat, $930; 7. Stanley Classic Thermos, $72; 8. The Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels

At the tender age of 16, Love Story burned into my brain that wool plaid is very important, as are witty retorts. It also taught me that girls should be smart, sassy and emotionally unavailable while boys should be handsome, preppy and attracted exclusively to girls with brown hair and big eyebrows (wishful thinking much?). I’m not sure how this Love Story education has served me over the years, but I remain truly and loyally dedicated to to it as my movie, my favorite, forever and ever. — Amy M.

1. Gold Cross Necklace, $376; 2. PB&J Sandwich with Skippy, $3; 3. Vintage Tortoise Eyeglasses, $185; 4. Michael Kors Chronograph Watch, $328; 5. Legal Pad, $0.79; 6. Vintage 1930s Leather Sofa; 7. Pom Pom Knitted Beanie, $28; 8. Enzo Lamp, $459; 9. Dents Felicity Leather Gloves, $84; 10. Avoca Lambswool Throw, $158

1. Love this movie and the roundup!! Makes me wish we got a real fall out here in Southern CA. We have an ice cream truck that comes by once a week and it plays a ting-ey, ice cream truck rendition of this theme song. Cracks me up everytime! Nothing brings those kids running like theme songs from seventies movies…

2. Michelle... says:

ps: similar cute camel coat spotted at H&M for a fraction of the price!

3. Amit says:

I’m embarrassed that I haven’t seen this yet, the author of the book was a relative of mine. But I’ll definitely add it to my queue now.

4. Christina says:

I am recovering from surgery so, after I read your post, watched “Love Story” on my computer. So good…so sad!
    You know, the part that bothers me the most is that Oliver just can’t let his father issues go…and I think his dad really wants to be in his life. It’s things like this that bother me for a long time after the credits have rolled.
    Also, love Jenny’s outfit when she visits Ollie on the boat…very chic!

5. Trina Enriquez says:

Oh, I was hoping you’d tell where I can find a burgundy knit cloche (?) hat similar to the one Jenny wears when she and Oliver are playing football in the snow. Love that hat. Been on the lookout for years.

6. nanette says:

i also had a camelhair coat-(wraparound) like jenny’s in 1970. where could i buy an exacy copy? could’nt find a “wrap-around” on ANY of the web-sites. please advise. thanks.

7. Kara says:

Okay, I just watched this for the first time because I saw it here on Living In and WOW, I was not prepared for the sadness. I don’t know, I guess I forgot about it being referred to before as a sappy love story.

So needless to say, I was caught totally off guard and cried for about 45 minutes. But it was great!!

8. I loved the theme from “Love Story.” I had the sheet music
    when it was popular and really enjoyed playing it on the piano.
    Jenny calling her father “Phil” always cracked me up.

9. Emma says:

This is also my favorite movie!
    Do you know the name of the actrice? She’s so beautiful!

10. Marcia Frank says:

I cry like a baby every time I view the movie.
    But what leaves me frustrated is that no one really asks the stars what they were feeling when they were filming the movie….was it comfortable? Did they have a crush on each ?
    Was it hard to play the lovers???

11. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics