diy project: jaime’s freshly picked floral accessories

august is officially over and i have to admit that i cannot wait for fall! i know the days are already getting shorter and my apartment is about to turn to ice, but i will always be a die hard autumn girl. these beautiful fresh floral accessories from the monkey flower group are already taking me there. i can practically smell the hint of fall in the air…yay!

the monkey flower group is a floral design studio run by jaime, a california native who recently moved from vermont back home to the lush napa valley. she sells her handmade pieces at the local farmers market, and even though the majority of customers wear them to weddings and other special events, they can so easily be worn a number of ways for a little everyday beauty. i would totally make these a frequent splurge; the colors and textures are simply gorgeous and so evocative of the season. you can see more pieces from all four seasons on her site (these maple leaf boutonnieres might be my faves). i am going to run outside and pick up some leaves to get started! thanks, jaime! -kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

Materials:
– small and sturdy leaves, buds, blossom, berries, and/or seeds
– scissors
– needle and thread
– narrow ribbon (1/4″ to 3/8″ wide, 1 ft. length for pin, 2 ft. length for band)
– corsage pin

additional materials needed for pin:
– fine gauge florists’ wire, cut into 5 inch lengths
– paraffin florists’ tape
– household glue
– wire clippers

Instructions:

how to make the pin:

1. Fold a length of wire in half and pierce it through your first leaf, bud, blossom, berry, or seed. Twist one half of the wire around the other half and the stem.

2. Repeat this process with all the botanical elements you plan to use in your pin, then wrap each wired element with florists’ tape.

3.  Bundle them all in a tiny bouquet and secure together with more florists’ tape. Clip the wires to the same length, a little more than an inch.

4. Cut an 8″ length of ribbon, fold it over the bottom of wires, then gradually wind upwards until the florists’ tape is entirely covered. Use a needle and thread to secure the ribbon with a single stitch, then tie off the thread and trim the remaining thread and ribbon.

5. Cut a 4″ length of ribbon and dab an inch long line of household glue along it.  Set your tiny bouquet on top of the glue and tie the ribbon into a simple, one-knot bow.

6. Pierce with a corsage pin and wear as you would as a brooch, or attach to the top of a wrapped gift for a special (wearable) finishing touch.

how to make the ribbon:

1. Cut a 2 ft. length of ribbon and pin (or tape) one end to your working surface.

2. Using a needle and thread, carefully sew your selected small and sturdy leaves, buds, blossom, berries, or seeds to the ribbon, one element at a time.

3. When you have finished your design, tie off the thread and trim the remainder.

4. Wear the ribbon as a bracelet, hair ornament, or necklace, or tie to a wrapped gift for a special (wearable) finishing touch.

1. flwjane says:

I love her and her fresh original work. Delighted to see her featured.

2. oh how lovely and happy these accessories are – i especially love that they are fresh flowers and that the greenery looks like a pretty mix of herbs and succulents – my favorite! nice work!

warmest regards,
    caitlin of wanderlustings xx

3. Shayna says:

OH MY GOD THANK YOU! I’m getting married Sunday and a friend has graciously volunteered to do all the flowers except bouts and corsages, so I volunteered myself. This looks so pretty and easy enough (famous last words, I know), I’ll be trying out your instructions in a few days!

4. Shannon Orr says:

So sweet, these would definately make it on my list of envy. I think they are just lushious and crisp in the same moment. Thank you.

5. jane newman says:

How long in advance can these be made up? How best to hold them prior to use. Thanks..

6. eva says:

wonderful! specially holidays are near. aside from the thought that you made it on your own, its really sweet..

7. Jaime says:

Hi all, thank you for your kind comments!

JN, I prefer to make them the day before so they can be enjoyed for longer by the receiver. But when necessary, they can usually be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days . Just be sure to experiment with your botanical materials in advance to determine their durability. Thanks for your interest!

8. karen says:

gorgeous! Love the colors!

9. Meg says:

I was just wondering what the name of those beautiful little orange flowers might be?
    Delightful accessory indeed!!

10. Jaime says:

Hi Meg! The orange flower is from a great little echeveria in my garden. I am sorry I do not know the exact variety, but your local nursery should have a good selection. They’re super easy and often prolific- I highly recommend adding a few to your garden or houseplant collection.

11. Mary L. says:

What a talent you are! Your creations are
    are artistically original and beautiful.

12. Claire says:

I just love these. Especially the hairpiece and the wrist pieces. They are so beautiful and they don’t look that hard to do.