diy project: halligan’s chalkboard globe

I have wanted a vintage chalkboard globe for quite a few school years. Unfortunately, I could never afford one and they are hard to come by. Even these beautiful reproductions are pricey! Today I’m sharing a quick and cheap way to get the look with out the hunt or the price! — Halligan

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• chalkboard paint, one or two colors
  • 1″ paint brush
  • thin liner paint brush
  • outline paint color of your choice
  • chalk
  • globe (you can find them at thrift stores, eBay, or you can order a cheap one here or here)

Step 1: Paint all the water around the continents. You don’t have to get too close and perfect. Vintage globes like this aren’t precise! You will need at least two coats of chalkboard paint.

Step 2: Paint all continents with your other chalkboard paint color. If you are using the same color, leave a thin line separating the land from the sea so you will know where to line out the continents.

Step 3: Use your thin brush to outline all continents.

You’re done!

1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I took a very circuitous route to your blog today, but you have given me the perfect inspiration for a homemade gift for my husband for Christmas. I promise to blog about it once it’s in his hands and link back to you.

2. greg says:

where do u get the green and white chalk board paint

3. I LOVE this! Made it for a friend as a housewarming gift. I found that silver acrylic paint that I used wouldn’t cover the paint correctly so I used a paint pen instead.

4. Anna says:

I made this for my husband for Valentine’s day and he loved it! Thanks for the great idea and instructions.

5. Kelly says:

I love this!! I’m thinking this will be my project over spring break!

6. Emily Rae says:

Wonderful. I always want to buy the globes I see at thrift stores but never had the vision to paint them — it seems so obvious now! I’ll be on the hunt this afternoon. This weekend is “makeover my room” weekend!

7. antiquechase says:

WOW, I love this. I just saw a globe yesterday and wish I would have picked it up!!!

8. Lovely, hope to see you at My Dream Canvas!

9. Sarah M. says:

I love this idea! I’m going to feature your tutorial on my blog. Thank you for sharing your creative talents with us!

10. Mirys says:

LOVE the idea!!! Congrats!
    So inspiring….

Kisses and blessings.
    from Brazil

11. Mirys says:

I LOVE the idea!!! Congrats!
    So inspiring….

Kisses and blessings.
    from Brazil

12. Thomas R says:

Low price to make, high value for those who receive it. And fun to make, I bet.

Chalkboards are losing ground to electronic “smartboards” and so forth. It is time they got their well deserved renaissance (comeback), and this time into our homes.

Having a “Wall” in your home, encourages people to use it. The non-permanence of the medium invites everyone to contribute. And: No batteries required. :D

13. Beth C says:

Think I will make my own colored chalkboard paint and then make this. What fun!

14. Lydia says:

Cool project. I saw this on another blog and saw “Lydia” written in your globe so I clicked on it. I figured anything with that written on it had to be awesome :p
    ~ Lydia