best of: entryways

For most of us, the entryway is that part of the house where mail, keys and shoes tend to pile up. But it’s also a visitor’s first impression of your home, and even more importantly, the first indication that you are home. Infusing this somewhat awkward space with a bit of personality can be difficult, so we’ve gathered 15 examples of well-dressed entryways that manage to do just that. And stay tuned for a little entryway accessories roundup at 1pm to get some stylish organization inspiration (all under $100)! — Amy A.

Image above: Boots and coats in a New Hampshire seaside town. From sneak peek: emersonmade.

Image above: A vintage Navajo rug and sliding barn doors made from re-purposed pine boards finished with a light gray stain reflect elements of the classic American style in this eastern Washington entryway. From sneak peek: heather paul of spool no. 72.

Image above: Louise Hederstrøm’s “Wire Tree” coat rack hangs in this Netherlands entryway from sneak peek: yvette laduk.

Image above: Wallpapered entryway in this 16th-century flat in Vienna from sneak peek: sandra haischberg of feinedinge.

CLICK HERE for more inspiring entryways!

Image above: Hooks from Anthropologie and paper garlands brighten this West Hollywood apartment. From sneak peek: max wanger.

Image above: Just the essentials — shoes and an umbrella — in this San Francisco entryway from sneak peek: scott engler.

Image above: Baskets organize this entryway in Sweden from sneak peek: hetta.

Image above: Entryway in Chicago’s Ukrainian Village from sneak peek: michael and sara hunter.

Image above: A colorful stained-glass front door makes for an inviting entry in this New England home from sneak peek: lauren nelson.

Image above: A colorful entryway in Paris from sneak peek: sandrine place.

Image above: Seletti hanger in the entryway of a former schoolhouse in Poland. From sneak peek: asia gwis.

Image above: A 300-year-old wooden box serves as the entrance table in this Brighton, England, home. From sneak peek: nineteen seventy-three.

Image above: Dramatic and modern mirrors in the entryway of a 100-year-old home in Portland, Oregon. From sneak peek: jessica helgerson interior design.

Image above: The crendenza was an eBay find that perfectly fit this long hallway space in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. From sneak peek: cathy + erik.

1. Stained glass doors, sliding bar doors, and textured lighting. Amazing. I want them all. Can I have a house with 3 entrances?

2. Laurie says:

Any idea where the crow rug is from?

3. Laurie says:

Sorry for the trouble – I found the answer to my own question – Art Matters. Thanks!

4. Elissa says:

I was just about to ask about the crow rug as well. That would be perfect for my minuscule square entry.

5. Nelio says:

thanks for this post! trying to figure out what to do with ours.

6. Stacey says:

The wire tree and framed bat entries are enchanting, makes me rethink mine a bit.

7. I want that stuffed bat!
    Also love the paper garland.

8. Adrienne says:

the rifle in the first entryway photo alarms me a little bit. take your shoes off….or else?

9. Jen says:

This couldn’t have more perfect timing, as I’m just starting to collect ideas for my own entry way! I feel like it can be such a problem space but this gets me excited again.

10. MUvement says:

I’m working on my entryway right now and these pictures are awesome! Very creative!

11. Melanie Beth says:

Love these ideas! My entryway is so boring, I’ve been trying to spruce it up lately but had a serious lack of inspiration! Thanks!

12. I think entryways really tell a lot about a person. They should be pretty but functional.

13. caitriona says:

third request for any info on the crow doormat. thanks as always for the inspiration!

14. Lisa says:

Does anyone happen to know the make of the coat rack (not the eames hang-it-all but the look alike) in the picture with the white baskets ?! It’s gorgeous!!

15. Tonja says:

I have a thing for traditional hall trees, but that wire version is a hall tree of a completely other species!

16. Jess says:

These are absolutely gorgeous entryways!!! Thank you for sharing.

And I always knew I loved Emersonmade, but I heart them even more after seeing the rattlesnake/burglar defender next to the adorable rainboots & girly coat. Looks like our entryway. :-)

17. Peaches says:

Love the top spot with the leopard coat and the rifle. If there were a gimlet on the counter it would be just like my Memaw’s house!

These all inspire me to get my entryway together….I am neglectful and it makes a horrible first impression. Coat rack here I come!

18. Lottie says:

Great post, inspiring stuff!

19. I adore the boots stacked in a row in Scott Engler’s entryway. Too bad mine are always strewn across various rooms of my apartment.

20. keran krane says:

love you site-check it out daily. I am desperate for ideas on creating an entryway where your front door opens right into the living room- as is the case in so many homes like mine. In fact where I live here in Texas- few homes have an actual entryway area and I have been unable to find any helpful articles on the web.

Thanks
    Keran

21. Jackie says:

Does anyone know where I can buy the Crow Rug please?
    Ta!

22. love it. thank you for this collection.