before & after: jennifer’s bedroom + amy’s key portrait

The best part of a before and after project is the big reveal — the more dramatic the transformation, the more satisfying that first peek at the “after” image. This bedroom makeover from Jennifer provides one of the most satisfying reveals I’ve had yet! Amazingly, the color palette in these two rooms is essentially the same — white, tan, cream, and pink — and the furniture hasn’t changed. Notice what a difference the subtle shift in hues and the few small but significant changes to the objects make to the room as a whole. To update her daughters’ bedroom, Jennifer went with a warmer, more sophisticated tan color for the walls, swapped out the bubblegum pink ruffles for a subdued peach floral curtain, and “purified” the furniture by stripping away the bright paint from the night stand and the flowery upholstery from the bed frames. Oh, and let’s not disregard the amazing butterfly frame vignettes above each bed. Jennifer clearly has a keen design sensibility; I love the composition of everything in this room! There are many reasons to want a second childhood — I want one so I can share a room just like this with my big sister. Amazing makeover, Jennifer! — Kate

Have a Before & After you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)

Decoupage queen bee Amy found this piece of art at a hobby shop and used her favorite material to give it a majorly fun makeover. I’m loving the dynamic energy in Amy’s colorful key portrait. The keys appear to hang of their own accord, perhaps for a little gab session, which I imagine to be about the pains of having to open humongous doors. I would probably leave the gilded frame untouched, but I do love how her bright blue and green pallet transforms this somewhat stodgy, overly ornate mess into a fun and cheeky piece of art. You can see how Amy achieved this look here. Great work, Amy!

1. Wow! amazing makeover, that room is beautiful.

2. Thank you so much for featuring my girls room today! I was so excited when it came up on my reader this morning! There room was such a mish-mosh for so long, it was nice to finally be able to get it together!

3. mary wyar says:

LOVE the keys! Too fun!

4. Neada B says:

The girls’ bedroom is beautiful! I love that Jennifer kept the bunny rabit lamp, but revamped it. It makes a great object d’ art. I wish I had a room that beautiful when I was a girl…it’s so simple and refined. Bravissimo!

5. maranda says:

wow! that room makeover is so sweet. i love when all/most of the same furniture is used. good job jennifer!!

6. Lillian says:

The room looks very sophisticated; the keys, er, not so much to me.

7. harriet says:

wow, that bedroom is amazing! i love the frames and the bird cage, beautiful.

8. Claire says:

WOW i love the butterflies in the frame! They keep the room whimsical but sophisticated. I’d love to know how you made them or where you got the butterflies.

9. Sing says:

Those frames, great idea.

10. Elizabeth says:

Amazing bedroom make over! But watch out Jennifer, I think I would still be living at home with my little sister if we had a room this lovely.

11. sarah jessica says:

That bedroom is so gorgeous and lovely – I’m blown away!

The keys & frame, however, looked better before.

12. mäggi says:

jennifer: window treatment is divine! details?? Great job on the makeover!!

13. Megan says:

That bedroom is so awesome, I wish I had a little girl just so I can recreate it! What a great makeover.

14. hena tayeb says:

the makeover is gorgeous.. the frames are fab. and i aslo love the key frame.. totally planning on stealing that idea

15. The room: AWESOME.
    I am SO sad about those keys! Antique skeleton keys are so beautiful as they are!

16. Lauren Spohrer says:

jennifer, did you use the old bedspread fabric on the curtain?

17. Lauren says:

Love the key art!

That color combo is awesome!

18. Margret says:

The room is just fantastic! What a maceover! But why doing this to the keys…. oh the were so so pretty before and now not so much. Oh that is just sad – I would have taken them and made them feel beautiful in my home…

19. The key portrait is amazing! I honestly want to make one of those and put it in the living room. Great color choices.

20. jantzie says:

I’m sad people are sad about the keys. :) I may not always fall head over heels in love with every piece shown in before & after, but I always admire the creative efforts and bravery in sharing by the diy-ers. I say, if you love it, and it fits in your home, it’s perfect and is just as it’s meant to be. We’re all beautiful the way we are, the way we want to be. End rose-tinted glasses comment of the day. :D

21. kristine says:

Love the look of the empty frames, and the colors of the key portrait are gorgeous.

22. awesome bedroom makeover. i liked the vintagey keys better before though :(

23. Thanks so much for the feature!!! For those who are worried about the keys, no antiques were murdered in the making of this portrait. They were NOT antiques – not even real keys. If you check out the entry, it was a broken piece of cheap craft store art that I found on deep discount, and I just revamped it. Cheers and I’m glad so many like it!!

24. Erika Seever says:

Beautiful… love the keys!!!!

25. Debbie Saenz says:

I Love the key makeover! Awesome “poping” colors! Amy did a Fabulous job!!

26. doreen says:

I love the before and after makeovers! What a difference in the bedroom. Love the taupe and white combination. And Amy can have the key to my craft room anytime!

27. Dora says:

Amy is the best, I can’t wait to see what Mod Podge or other crafty thing she has come up with everyday!

28. Avital says:

Jennifer’s room looks lovely and Amy’s key portrait looks like a million dollars. I love the color combo and the flawlessness of the paint and background decoupage.

29. Jennifer says:

Can you tell us where you found the beautiful butterflies from? Also, what paint color is that? It’s just divine!!! :)

30. sha says:

Beautiful room.

I want to cry at the keys’ fate.

1. grace says:

sha

see amy’s comment above- they’re not vintage keys:

“They were NOT antiques – not even real keys. If you check out the entry, it was a broken piece of cheap craft store art that I found on deep discount, and I just revamped it. Cheers and I’m glad so many like it!!”

grace

31. Katya says:

honestly, I love the framed keys ‘before’ more than ‘after’, but maybe it’s just a matter of taste

32. Kim says:

OMG that is AMAZING can you make me one for my room? I love the color, frame and the keys, what a wonderful idea Amy

33. Catherine says:

I love the colours of the key frame.

34. The color is BM Lenox Tan color matched in their Aura line, and the butterflies were cut from old book pages and glued together. The curtain is actually quilt store fabric from Moda. I loved it because it had a vintage feel. I find that the quilt store has a lot of options that the fabric store doesn’t. And since most of it is cotton it washed really well.
    I think Amy’s keys are brilliant. Isn’t she so talented?

35. Becky says:

I did a fabulous job of my oldest daughter’s room and within days all my cleverness was being gently and surreptitiously undone….how does one satisfy one’s desire for design in a child’s scheme without subjecting them to my will!!!!! What happens to all their tasteless but much loved stuff!!?
    lol

36. tony says:

The frame/keys looked so much better before

37. Helen says:

I was lucky enough to inherit 60 antique skeleton keys from my step mother. They came from cemetaries in England. I would never paint them, but love the look. I think the Key Art is FABULOUS! It is fun and whimsical, wish it fit in my decor, unfortunately, the before would match better :( I will be on the lookout for some similar decor keys…

38. Cheryl says:

Jennifer I would love to know how you made those
    butterflies. Do you have a tutorial on your website? I’ve looked
    but can’t find it. Love the idea and want to recreate it! Thanks so
    much for the beautiful room.

39. NK says:

I actually loved the before picture of the keys/frame…