sneak peek: ramin shamshiri of commune

by

catalina is the home of ramin shamshiri, founding partner at commune, and his wife, donna langley, co-chair of universal pictures, and their son paolo. ramin and donna’s spanish-style home in los angeles’ los feliz neigborhood was designed to take into the family’s eclectic taste into account while also honoring the existing style of the home. we love the dramatic tilework in ramin and donna’s kitchen- and their amazing collection of vintage furniture. {thanks to ramin and chrissie at commune for sharing this project with us!} -anne

Our living room has a patchwork hide rug, Brazilian chairs from the ‘50s, and table designed by Commune.

Our den has a George Smith ottoman and reupholstered Eames chair with African fabric.

Our kitchen leads out to courtyard, where our family spends most of their time. The entire kitchen was custom designed by Commune.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the sneak peek after the jump!

Our dining room: vintage mirror cabinet, door is from a Mexican monestery.

This is our courtyard with outdoor dining and living room.  The floor is custom mexican cement tile designed by Commune.  Fireplace by Stan Bitters.  Landscaping by Matthew Brown.

1. elra says:

Absolutely gorgeous home. It’s my dream home.

2. Stella says:

Beautiful but completely inaccessible. Maybe it’s just Monday talking, but I don’t feel this is in the usual spirit of sneak peek. Too clean, too professional, too wealthy.

3. Kristan says:

What an amazingly unique and gorgeous house. I particularly covet the kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

4. Tiffany says:

wow. that is gorgeous. i esp. love the outdoor courtyard.

5. Toni says:

Gorgeous! I love the windows in the living room, absolutely stunning.

6. I’m loving the living room – so chic and charming! xx

7. That courtyard is amazing! What a peaceful little sanctuary. No wonder their family spends so much time in it. Love the beautiful floor tiles, and how they extend straight to the outdoors.

Love the kitchen, too! :)

8. Wow! So many loves here….those arched windows, oval sunburst, loooong yellow sofa, sliding wood door, and amazing courtyard….I could go on. This home is fabulous and I think very livable.

9. Alison says:

Wow-this is incredible.

10. maranda says:

@ stella -i’m with you! definitely gorgeous, but not really inspiring, since i don’t have the money to pull it off!

11. Rachel says:

The picture of the fireplace makes me feel at home. I love, love love the pop of the bowl of flowers. I love the color of the parrots next to it. I love the fact that there ARE parrots on the mantle. I love how crisp the walls and the fireplace look, but how the other details of the room and the mantle soften the room and make it feel like home.

12. nkp says:

I’m a huge fan of their aesthetic and am so excited to get this insider look into their most amazing home. Truly stunning in every way. Kind of left me breathless. Thanks so much for sharing this inspirational abode.

13. sally says:

the tiles and patterns all over the home are a dream! so good. i agree with the others that it is somewhat cold, but it is surely beautiful, and i do love latin inspired homes!

14. Holly says:

Absolutely gorgeous and perfect but a little over designed. It looks like everything was purchased at once to decorate the house, not brought together from personal belongings along with purchases. I guess I’m saying it isn’t as personal as most sneak peaks — it looks like it could’ve been designed by a stylist for a fashion photo shoot. Still, it’s lovely to see a gorgeous Spanish style house and the tile work is mind blowing.

15. KimRose says:

Hmm. Like the floor tiles. Don’t like seeing all that money can buy. This looks like something out of a special Western edition of Elle Decor.

16. arroyo says:

Stunning. I love the way all of the incongruous elements are combined — brilliant. Thanks for the great inspiration. Commune never disappoints.

17. Sarah B says:

LOVE this. Oh so fab!

18. Peaches says:

It’s like David Hicks did the set s for a fabulous 1950’s “Zorro” episode. But better. Love it! I honestly gasped aloud when I saw the double wide yellow couch, holy cats is that amazing! Well done.

19. eileen says:

A cheat; more Elle Decor than Design Sponge but, after years of affordable, accessible (this makes me feel I’d have to be a VP at Universal Pictures or, heck, an astronaut, to come close to inhabiting such a fabulous space). non-staged sneak peeks, I’ll let this one slide.

1. grace says:

thanks eileen- i think every now and then it’s nice to shake things up and check out something slightly outside our normal range ;)

g

20. Dorothy says:

I love this. It’s great to see different styles here.

21. melanie says:

what a gorgeous home! the exterior is stunning

22. Christine says:

Great inspiration for blending textiles and patterns. I enjoy mixed fabrics, and was considering how to showcase their liveliness alongside what I feel is too much wood of the same color in my home. After seeing this, I’m reminded what dark accents can do for a space (see esp. the den photo with the covetable yellow couch). I think some of my wood is going to get an ebony gel stain to break up the furniture from the floor.

23. max says:

This house is perfect in every detail!

24. Wonderful to see cement tile getting its due. It is so under utilized in the States. If anyone is seeking this cement tile, we can supply this pattern (and many others) in a huge color palette.

25. Cricket says:

Design*Sponge doesn’t normally show this kind of extravagance, so I can’t believe people are actually complaining about this turn off the common road. For all the negative parties, you can always learn something from design, even if you can’t afford to exactly duplicate it.

Anyway, this home is gorgeous. I especially love the outdoor courtyard – fantastic!

26. Erica Cottrill says:

Wow! Great taste in design…

27. jennifer g says:

Oh, that courtyard beckoning from the kitchen.

28. Kilby says:

So what if I can’t afford it, I can dream can’t I? I think those cement tiles are beautiful!

29. Marie says:

I like that this is different from the usual sneak peaks, even if it’s not my style. The courtyard is beautiful and envy-inspiring. Some people might find this intimidating, but I find all-white houses odd for messy lives. To each his own.

30. Yvette says:

Its absolutely gorgeous! Its my DREAM home!

31. Cindy says:

I’d love to see the reupholstered Eames chair. My husband and I have a plycraft chair that we were thinking to reupholster in African fabric, but can’t find something sturdy enough.

32. Jen says:

As a person who loves design I do not discriminate based on cost. I appreciate the beauty and hard work regardless of how much is spent. It is not any of my business how much money was put into their home. If they are one of the founding partners of commune it may have only cost them for the materials because their own labor was free? Be open-minded! Isn’t that what design is all about?

Bottom line. Well done! Gorgeous.

33. Kristina says:

kitchen and outdoor areas are just as i’d have in my dream home!

34. Nico says:

I love the red sofa in the living room, can you please inquire where they purchased it? I am looking for a sofa and haven’t come across anything like this & would love to find it!

35. Grace says:

Beautiful home. Its sad to see negativity and mob thinking because the home owners are well-to-do. what a pity that poverty makes people bitter. so damn sad.

36. Shauna says:

You don’t have to have tons of money to have good taste. Anyone’s home can have this feel in their home with patience and good choices. I thouroughly enjoyed looking at this space! And I’ve noticed a really GRACIOUS ; ) spirit on the part of Grace. You’re always so sweet, even when others are rude and small-minded. I appreciate that.

37. Anastasia says:

I love the yellow sofa, ottoman and the courtyard is lovely! Great style in all rooms.
    Yes I agree, $ does not buy creativity.

38. Eileen 2 says:

Loving the area above the mantle & the fabrics in the living room.

Hats off to Design Sponge! We get more ideas to swipe when we see a variety of living spaces. Keep showing homes of the elite, the average, and those who are in a ramen-noodle-budget phase.

I would tire of D*S if it wasn’t so versatile.

39. Jen says:

WOW This is an absolutely stunning house. I’m really happy that you guys featured the place even though it is a bit of a different post. The architecture is exactly what I’d expect in the Los Feliz area. I love how the very detailed but eclectic design of the interior, just brings out the wonderful qualities of the architecture. Really just perfect, and not overdone. Beautiful colors, textures, everything! It may not be on a budget, but it definitely inspires. :)

40. kimmi siren says:

This Home is DIVINE and COMFORTABLE- ALL of IT! Looks like many of the homes I was in as a child -but my single fav thing is the kitchen tile extending out into the walled courtyard-how delightful!

What I find particularly interesting though is how many “spongies” seem to think this look is basically unattainable due to cost? Hmm?

Leaving the architecture out of the equation, this “look” if we must call it that, is actually not hard to duplicate at all.

The pieces in and of themselves are just cool 70’s pieces with a little art deco thrown in hear and there and a smattering of mid century.
    The art is big and colorful or dramatic; walls are simple and trim is exaggerated merely by a dark stain or color.
    The kitchen – tho large – is simple in execution, again more rich use of color.
    The expensive and expansive decorative floor tile can be treatment easily hinted at by painting your wooden floors ( happiness if your floors are beaten up and need a redo ). If you’re fortunate to have a deck or outside eating spot off your kitchen pick up your interior floor color with a cool all weather rug in the same colors. If you have a covered porch- go crazy paint the same pattern on it as the floor in your kitchen. Simple AND stunning!

Not a lot of knick knacks so that’s refreshing and it leaves a larger budget for bigger pieces.
    Haunt thrift stores and craigslist, consignment boutiques and garage sales- you’ll be amazed what you can find for very very little. SPEND THE MOST YOU CAN ON YOUR SOFA or SOFAS. Keep them a solid color, doesn’t have to be beige. Cushions change a look in an instant.
    Vintage sofa’s are always a better investment than new. Unless you ARE Rockerfeller ( and can have your new sofa hand made for you ) you just can’t duplicate the quality. Not even a $5000 new sofa, meets the quality of vinatge ones and sooo often the design s are just horrendous-so throw away the Restoration Hardware catalog you swoon over daily AND Hit ebay.. you might have to spend a couple of thousand on a vintage sofa ( but I’ve seen outrageously FAB ones go for under a thousand ), but you’ll be so, so, so happy you did.

The homes’ rich looks come from dark woods, nubby textiles, hand wovens and kilims and dhurries…interesting sheers at windows: All suggest a wordliness that doesn’t come from PB.
    Also skip the chrome ( or at least lots of it ) when did that become the only metal we know of ???? Move towards iron and brass. Still metals , just softer and you’ll still bring in another element to balance out the energy.
    Chrome is getting tired-really IT IS!

Think Forward-Brass is still so out of everyones’ radar (thanks to the 80’s), but the older TARNISHED brass pre 80’s is out there at every flea mkt, thrift store and Estate Sale. Buy it! You’ll be ahead of the curve. Look at the lines the shapes and patina. YUM!

Big Plants..with big leaves- a great design tool. But keep it minimal. You don’t need your house to be a jungle- unless you are uber lucky to have a conservatory attached..then put all your greenery in there with your bistro table-SIGH!

And the single number one reason this place looks so “rich” is that we’re not seeing it featured on Design Sponge that often. We see hoards of funky places, made up of oddities ( that I love ), things people have collected, made, found painted and repainted..usually in white or bright funky colors.
    That this house in Los Feliz looks like a Grown Up house.
    Though I love much of what is featured on DS, it’s all looking much the same and VERY YOUNG!

I hope DS will keep showing places for people who are over 40 ;) and not so excited about having an old crate as a night stand…or a used tool chest for cutlery.
    While I appreciate budget restraints ( I have plenty of my own)…not everyone lives the bohemian, found it in the dumpster lifestyle, no matter how romantic and cleaver that might be.

And to Commune.. Love it! Love your website too!

41. Sue says:

Oooh! I love it all but the fireplace, white with just the arch and the beautiful tile below on the threshold made me wish I had seen this before we redesigned our fireplace. I would have seriously considered doing the same. What a very lovely and inviting house.

42. Sarah Hamer says:

Can I come and visit please? xx