sneak peek: lauren stern

for this peek, we get a chance to look at two spaces designed by  lauren stern – her own home in carroll gardens, brooklyn and  her designs for a couple on the upper west side of manhattan. one of lauren’s all-time favorite activities is hunting down quirky antiques and objects with her fiancé on the couple’s travels and while home in new york. the challenge is then being able to incorporate those objects back into the couple’s carroll gardens, brooklyn home! so when decorating the apartment, lauren worked to create a neutral backdrop that would highlight their treasured finds, but didn’t feel like a museum. she’s managed to create a crozy, comfortable space filled with personality that works for their relaxed lifestyle.  {thanks, lauren! and thanks to uhuru for sending her our way! and many thanks to michael grimm for the lovely photographs!} amy a.

[Lauren’s home in Carroll Gardens above: The small pieces of artwork above the fireplace are framed hand-knit wool landscape scenes purchased at a farm in Copacabana, Bolivia. The embroidered antique textile on the back of the desk chair was purchased in Cusco, Peru.]

[Lauren’s home in Carroll Gardens above: The series above the sofa is a collection of Katagami (18th c mulberry bark kimono stencils) found throughout Japan. The table next to the sofa is from Shop Darr and is made from a steel garden fence. The green glass chandelier is made from hand-blown spheres found in Cairo, Egypt.]

[Lauren’s home in Carroll Gardens above: The nightstands are actually antique filing cabinets resting on inexpensive brass luggage racks. The bedspread was purchased at a vineyard in Mendoza, Argentina.]

[Lauren’s home in Carroll Gardens above: Art work is highlighted in this little office nook. The red poster of girls with a camera was bought at a used cd store in Berlin, Germany. Leaning again the wall underneath the window is a poster of a man watering flowers. This was a wedding gift that my parents received from hippie friends. (And yes, the plants depicted are all different drugs!) The painting on the easel is by Lisa Congdon. On the floor, next to the easel are tall glass vases from Intérieurs.]

CLICK HERE to see Lauren’s work on the Upper West Side!

[Upper West Side apartment above: The kitchen backsplash tiles are replicas from Monet’s house in France. We purchased many antique light fixtures and re-purposed them – the kitchen lights were from a ship.]

[Upper West Side apartment above: The bedroom chandelier is an antique brass Brutalist-style fixture.

[Upper West Side apartment above: The entry wallpaper is also vintage, found at Secondhand Rose in NYC.]

[Upper West Side apartment above: The dining table is actually an antique library table purchased at auction in Canada. The dining chairs are antique blue aluminium folding chairs.]

1. LOVE all of the patterns and color in surprising places! so inspiring! thank you for sharing it all!

best wishes! juliette

2. I love the UWS apartment! The bathroom is a dream! The dining table is a treasure! She has an amazing talent with color and simplicity.

3. Valeria says:

Love the space! Especially the exposed brick, high ceilings and windows, the workspace and that black purse hanging in the entry!

4. I’m obsessed with that sereies behind the sofa (kimona prints). What a great idea. Such well thought out details throughout the space. Lovely.

5. Nina says:

Any info on the painting to the right of the fireplace? I love it!

6. BaileyLayne says:

Oh my goodness I love this apartment! I love how Lauren was able to incorporate all the beautiful unique vintage pieces without making it look hoakey. Gorgeous.

7. Stella says:

Love it all.

But I love especially the purple paint.

8. Shashi says:

Lauren love your cozy home, what’s the color in your bedroom – it’s a nice warm white it seems.

9. Anabel says:

That brass chandelier over the bed seems to be saying “live dangerously!”
    What a wonderfully evocative prop…

10. RLG says:

Stunning. I love the brass fixtures, the dark grout in the bath, the lived-in patina that makes it comfortable and lovely. Great post. xoxo

11. alissa says:

Love it! Such a great use of pattern without being overwhelming/dizzying.

12. Stephanie says:

I’ll second Nina’s question about that painting, and I’m also curious about the mirror over the fireplace. I’ve been on the hunt for something that shape for, well, forever, it seems.

13. Chris says:

I absolutely love the way so many shapes are repeated in these rooms, it really holds the spaces together.

14. Lauren Stern says:

Hi Everyone – thanks for the kind words !!

Answers to questions: I actually painted the piece next to my fireplace :) And the mirror above my fireplace is from Crate & Barrel (I couldn’t afford the Captain’s Mirror from BDDW, which is what I realllly wanted!).

One more note, the apt on the upper west side is owned by the very talented owner of A Peace Treaty (

15. Vanessa says:

loooooove the candles inside the fireplace… it’s such a romantic touch! and that purple bedroom! so elegant and perfect.

16. Really diggin that circular mirror! …….and the tile for the backsplash

17. Dana says:

Lauren Stern you are the best. I love you and loved what you did to my apartment!

UWS apartment

18. Shelly says:

Lauren, you are so very creative! I LOVE the hand blown green glass chandelier. And the way you position everything, your sense of balance is amazing!

19. Hannah says:

So stupendously stunning! I can’t even pick a favorite!

20. taylor says:

One of the best sneak peaks ever. Perfect use of color & it all looks so “do able” – some houses are so out of my league… This kitchen is my favorite, the old looking oven & lights are the best! And the bathroom tile is just gorgeous. Thanks!

21. Sulasue says:

Wow, Lauren Stern! Loving your style – a lot.

Amazing rooms, and your fabric mixes are stunning!

Any chance you can share the source for the fabric used for the headboard and the chair by the fireplace in your own home?

22. Lauren Stern says:

Hi Sulasue,

I used several fabrics from:

23. shashi says:

hey Lauren, what’s name of the paint in your bedroom?

24. MBD says:

Amazing work from a talented designer. If I had any money I’d hire you in a second.

25. Lauren Stern says:

The paint in our apartment in Benjamin Moore China White — it’s a soft white with a worn vintage feel !!

26. Holly says:

Cozy & hip. Love it. Everyone of your light fixtures is amazing!

27. Annie says:

Love the fixture in the living room…could you tell me the source?

28. Alyssa says:

I LOVE the light fixture above the fireplace in the first photo. Would you mind sharing where you got it.

PS: just read Annie’s comment, so ditto. :)

29. Abbie says:

I LOVE the light in the entry hallway. Would you mind sharing where I can find that or something similar. Thanks
    Great home!

30. Larry says:

Hi Lauren,
    Just saw this on the blog and wanted to ask if you had a resource for beds? We’ve launched recently in the US. Check us out Your bed selection look remarkably like our Juliet Caned Bed. We’d loved your eclecticness and would love to work with you.
    All the Best Larry

31. Tracie says:

I love the chair in front of the fireplace it is so gorgeous, wondering if you had it reupholstered?

32. Elise E. says:

Would love to know the brand of the stove. Gorgeous!!

33. Laura Guiellmard says:

Hi Lauren!
    Where did you find that wonderful stove? I love the combined elements of stainless, enamel & brass. I absolutely love the entire apartment! Great job!!