Our Favorite Clawfoot Tubs

by

There are two types of bathrooms in the world – those with clawfoot bathtubs, and those without. So in coming up with the Best Of¬†Bathrooms post, I just didn’t have the heart to edit out so many gorgeous bathrooms just because they have clawfoot bathtubs. Instead, I thought it best to separate the roundup into separate posts to celebrate the best of both worlds (find the other bathrooms here!). And even if you fall under the “have not” category, I’m sure you can find lots of inspiration tucked in these spaces. Enjoy! -Anne

Image above: Jesse and Whitney Chamberlain‘s junkyard tub with a burst of yellow cheer.

Image above: Abigail Ahren’s clawfoot glam

Images above: two beautiful bathrooms from the melbourne home of Lynda Gardner

Image above: photographer Corbin Lee Gurkin’s red tub and patterned panels

CLICK HERE for 20 more clawfoot tubs after the jump!

dac29b9ce9a3b6d34b28bafb08146c73
Image above: This tub and tile combo is basically my dream. (via Curbly)

[image above: industrial designer charley wheelock‘s recently renovated bathroom]

[image above: anne lise kjaer’s black and white bath]

[image above: nancy of r.wood studio whose aged tub makes her say her bathroom feels a bit like a brothel]

[image above: lucy allen gillis‘s dashes of mint green}

maya of le grenier
‘s bathroom retreat]

[image above: parisian stylist ombline de kersabiec‘s bold use of color]

[image above: kelly teasley‘s color themed bathroom]

[image above: amanda orcutt‘s tub against an exposed brick wall]

[image above: a four square portland project keeping it classic]

[image above: stylist sandrine place‘s pops of fun through color]

[image above: sanna & jasper‘s pet penguin]

[image above: bernadette of sugarloop‘s light-filled white bathroom]

[image above: tugboat print shop‘s wood rail tub]

[image above: zoe of cloth clothing‘s budget bathroom]

1. Sarah says:

The yellow tub is so magical! And the openness of Lynda Gardner’s bathroom is so airy, yet the tub is a focal point. Beautiful!

2. Christin says:

Hold the phone! The shower curtain in the first one, I have to have it. And the chandelier in the second, holy amazingness. Wow. Gorgeous tubs.

3. michelle says:

what an awesome post! as an owner of a gorgeous ancient clawfoot tub i can attest to the fact that that tub is the entire reason we bought the house we did! I’m dying to know if anyone in the DS Orbit has any GREAT sources of extra-wide shower curtains like you would need to surround a claw-foot tub. I can find plenty of liners, and have resorted to making my own shower curtains to fit, but would love a source for ready-made ones that aren’t reminiscent of an industrial hotel… (and not in a good way!)

4. Liv says:

One day, one day, I shall have my own clawfoot tub. Such lovely bathrooms.

5. LindseyBee says:

what a lovely post to wake up to–these bathrooms are To die for!!

6. Oh how I love claw foot tubs! We are SO having one of them when we redo our bathroom!

7. KC says:

I love these! The claw foot tubs always remind me of my grandparents old beach place. It was a great place just like you would picture it and there were two perfect bathrooms with claw foots couldn’t be better. I also really like the shower curtain in the first picture that is so gorgeous! Great post!!!

8. hi-d says:

I love clawfoot tubs. My grandparents had one – so when we used to visit them as a kid in Nebraska, I got to bathe in theirs. I would love to have one someday.

9. Ronnie says:

That blue and red bathroom is gorgeous!

10. Evita says:

A clawfoot tub used to be one of the primary requirements in apts/homes I would rent, many moons ago. It is my greatest wish that we’ll be able to put one in our upstairs bathroom one day.

11. Bre says:

All I had to see was the post title and I was in love. I adore claw foot tubs, thank you for compiling all these great images! I love the unexpected, fresh colors some of them used.

12. Anna @ D16 says:

My clawfoot tub is one of the nicest things in my life. Ours was battered and beaten and rusty when we bought our house, but we had it sandblasted and powder-coated, and now it’ll last forever.

Nothing else compares to bathing in a cast-iron tub, either. They hold the heat in like crazy, and the depth means you can soak up to your neck. Love it.

13. um. that ruffled shower curtain is the bomb!

14. Silvia says:

I love the curtain of the first image.

15. Joseph says:

Holy smokes! You really went at it with the design concepts. Now I’ve got a headache! No, just kidding. These are some wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing them with us.

16. Casey says:

I am so glad you posted this! we are nearing the end of our bathroom renovation which included putting in a clawfoot tub and I am struggling with the finishing touches, this is a great inspiration!

17. Janelle says:

Would it be possible to get the purchasing info on the shower curtain in the first image? I have a matching duvet cover!

18. Stacey says:

those little tiny hexagon tiles make me sooo happy! p.s. to all ruffled showercurtain lovers: my friend and I just finished making similar ones for our bathrooms…they’re so easy! photos (and soon a tutorial) on the blog!

19. I’m obsessed with clawfoot tubs. Thank you for all the wonderful images.

20. Circa1972 says:

Wow, I know this is a design redux of clawfoot tubs, but that white wire chandelier just blew my mind! It looks as if drawn on the photograph. What an amazing optical illusion and a stylist’s dream!

21. heather says:

LOVE that mint green cabinet! any idea where it’s from or where to find one like it?

22. Nickie Frye says:

These are amazing, but I could hardly concentrate on the photos following abigail ahren’s. That awesome wire chandelier is incredible!!!

23. I love all these claw foot tubs. The black and white by Anne Lise Kjaer is my favorite!

Juliette Samuel

24. eva says:

I really adore the clawfoot tubs,like the one on the upper pix the yellow one..so refreshing and relaxing .

25. …wow awesome images…MEg sent me over

26. Ebba Redman says:

Love Abigail Ahren’s image! I would love to know where the beautiful chandelier is from? Corbin Lee Gurkin’s combination of red and pale blue is really striking, unusual and surprising – very clever.

1. grace says:

ebba

the chandelier is from abigail’s shop: http://www.atelierabigailahern.com/

grace

27. Patti says:

Wow! What an awesome post!

I’d never even thought of painting the exterior of our tub, although it’s currently covered in a cream paint anyway! What a great way to get the tub to pop, and in a totally non-permanent way, too! Wow!

Question – we’re renting, so I don’t want to spend a bunch of moolah – but one of our claws seems to have gone missing at some point through the years, and we now have a block of wood supporting one side of our tub. Where would one get their hands on a new claw foot, and is it even possible to install one? Would what the details for the be, diyers?

28. Nora says:

We love clawfoot tubs, and have two of them. The beautiful 5′ long one that came with our 1851 farmhouse ended up being responsible for leaching lead into the bathwater; our baby daughter had an elevated lead count at her 1 year checkup. We have since replaced the tub with a replica. The other antique one we have tested fine. PLEASE BE CAREFUL and do a lead swab test before using antique tubs!

29. Heather Pipkin says:

Husband just bought me a claw foot tub and I am looking for ideas to redo my bathroom with it and still have a shower. Any Suggestions?

30. Clawfoot bath tubs are one of the best kind of bath tubs.

31. I really love the clawfoot tub. Thanks for sharing this inspirational post. Keep me more updates.

32. Lou Vaughn says:

The clawfoot tub is awesome!