before and after basics: aging furniture with milk paint

by

hello friends! welcome to before and after basics where the topic for the day is milk paint! seriously, this is one of my favorite finishes to perform on furniture. i’m so excited to share with you the crazy fun of milk paint !

milk paints are completely green and free of all harmful chemicals and toxins… how great is that? my only caution as we start this project is to let all of you know that this may not be the paint for you if you are looking for perfection or light distressing. milk paint has a mind of its own and i have yet to get an identical finish on any piece. crazy things happen and you have to be willing to go with the flow. there is however, a product called tsp concentrate by bix that i would suggest you use before applying your paint- just to ensure that your surface is really clean and ready for a new finish. so let’s get started! –barb

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

here’s what you will need:

* piece of furniture -preferably in its wood state :)

*orbital sander

*rags, drop cloth

*paintbrush

*milk paint

*wax {i prefer fiddes over any wax on the market}, and water based poly

*clean, empty container for mixing paints

* paint sticks for stirring { you will need to stir quite a bit!}

how to:

1. lightly sand entire piece…vacuum and clean with a damp cloth. remove all hardware and fill any holes that you will not be using.

2. if you feel the need, go ahead and apply the tsp concentrate product now if you are worried about excess flaking and then finish prepping your piece… but if you want to just see what happens {like me}, skip this step !

3. mix your milk paint according to the package directions. i have found that hot water works  best for mixing and ensures that all of the lumps are dissolved. stir well, and i mean really well, and then continue to stir every now and again as you work on your piece.

4. apply milk paint using an angled sash brush. i have found that the foam rollers work as well in this situation, but are not my favorite. i prefer the look of the brush strokes with milk paint, and sometimes the foam rollers will trap air bubbles in the surface and disrupt that awesome finish we are going for!  make sure you don’t over work the brush as it will leave unwanted lines in your finish. some lines are ok with this particular look as you will see, but as a general rule don’t work it too hard! the first coat will be very milky and see through….this is completely fine! you will apply another coat and it will cover your piece beautifully!

5. allow paint to dry completely before applying second coat. if you don’t allow it to dry completely , the wet parts will pull away as you apply the second coat, and then you have a mess! normally drying time is about an hour or two depending on where you are painting your piece.  as the paint dries you will notice that the paint will begin to flake and peel where it does not want to adhere. sometimes it is a lot, and sometimes it is not, but be ready for the paint to flake off….and don’t freak out! i have never met a flaky finish i didn’t like! if you have used the prep solution you should  have less peeling, or no peeling at all.

6. make sure that you lightly sand, by hand the entire piece to remove all flaking paint before applying the second coat. if you don’t remove all of the flaky paint it will ball up on the surface when applying the second coat and be undesirable. when applying the second coat {after sanding} you can paint right over where the paint has not adhered….it gives it the character you are looking for….and also allows you to start being creative in layering your finish for that truly authentic look.

7. allow the second coat to dry. when milk paint dries it is very flat looking and super porous, so make sure that you do not get any liquid on it prior to sealing as it will stain your painted surface. the surface will be vulnerable until you apply the wax and poly to protect it.

8. sand entire piece again. i like to use a power sander on the flat surfaces because i love the super distressed look, but you can hand sand if you like a softer approach.

9. apply your finish. i use both wax and poly on milk paint for added protection. i like to put two to three coats of water based poly and then a coat of wax to ensure safety. you can apply the poly with a foam roller or a brush. i personally find myself using a brush more often than the roller, but i have used a roller and it works fine…just make sure you watch for air bubbles and smooth them out if needed. i always apply my wax with a rag, working it in a circular motion and then buff it out with old nylon tights or hose….don’t ask….it just works! wax is normally dry and ready for buffing in an hour. if the piece will be used as a sink fixture or be exposed to moisture at all, i recommend three coats of oil based poly for protection. water based poly will not cut it here…..and i speak from experience!

10. clean up and apply your new hardware! don’t forget to add all of those special little details that make each piece unique.

1. Sheila says:

Realizing I’m late to the party, I have a question about using stain and milk paint. Barb, these are great. Is it possible to apply stain (lightly) over the milk paint for a tea stain look/finish, or would you recommend something less drastic than a stain? Thanks!

2. knack says:

sheila, from a personal perspective…i would only apply the stain to the milk paint after a layer of varnish or poly has been applied. milk paint is super porous and grabs liquid unevenly, and permanently!

3. Cara says:

I love all your pieces! They are beautiful. Where do you find the wood pieces you start with? Any tips for hunting down some gems?

4. Barb says:

cara, thank you so much! i find my pieces all over! goodwills, estate sales, antique shops, dealers, and people just calling me up because they know what i do! my eyes are always peeled….

happy hunting!

5. Hi Barb,
    I think this project looks great. I would like to mention a little tip for your readers. I have been the brand of milk paint mentioned by you for several years now. I absolutely love it. It works great and you can’t beat it’s adhesion to porous materials. Now for the tip. If you would like to get a crackle look using milk paint, but do not want to use an additive or sizing, you can layer the area that you want to crack a little thicker than the rest. Next before that area dries slowly heat it up with a hair dryer. As long as you don’t do it too quickly you will get a nice random crackle, and still have adhesion. Oh, one other thing.. If you would like to purchase genuine old fashioned milk paint at a discounted price, try http://www.mistermilkpaint.com. Thanks for the inspirations.

1. Barb says:

michael, thank you so much for the added information! those are very fun little tidbits!

6. Jenny says:

I buy my Milk Paint from a company that has 56 historical colours- they are in Canada.

7. i just ordered a bunch of milk paint i cant wait to use!!

8. Thanks for posting this! I’ve got it linked to my milk paint post too today, for inspiration!

9. Heather says:

Hi, I was wondering when you sand your furniture down and it is a light wood color, but you want the yndercoat to be darker, can you paint a darker color and then do the milk paint? Thanks

10. Milinda Burger says:

Wow that was just hat I was looking for…going to do a atique wardrobe….hope it turns ou stunning!

11. Diana Smith says:

I love how this piece looks. I am concerned about the polyurethene finish. I want my piece to be white and have used this finish before with a yellowing effect. How can I make sure it does not turn yellow? The can even said non-yellowing.

12. Jeanne Kelly says:

omg, i just put the first coat of milk paint on and it is really flaking (I did not use the bonder). Do you sand until the flaking stops? I am afraid to put the 2nd coat on, am not sure of what the sanded areas will look like – does the paint flak off of those too?

13. Carrie Kelley says:

Thanks so much! This is exactly the look I’m hoping to achieve, and it sounds like fun. One question – I’m going to be painting an unfinished piece of furniture from a mill store. I intend to stain first. Any additional advice? Should I poly over the stain before the milk paint or does it not make a difference? If I don’t poly it then I assume I don’t have to sand it before milk painting…or do I?

14. Alisa says:

Can you buy Milk Paint in Europe, too?

15. mike says:

You can order milkpaint at redposie.com/milkpaint

16. Rachel says:

Thank you so much for your tutorial!! I have been tryin to read everything I can a out the stuff for the past few weeks and plan to paint a table with some today. I’m going to use the linen color from Miss Mustard Seed. I bough it locally in Baton Rouge, LA from Bayou Bungalow. http://www.thebayoubungalow.com/ Mrs. Marty is amazing if anyone lives in LA!!

17. Michelle Kuznia says:

Love the help. Will take any idea or tip because I always jump to Fast. THANKS

18. blair says:

You said that you sanded down to the natural wood, but you have a dark finish underneath the milk paint. Did you paint or stain the furniture before applying the tpt and milk paint?

19. Pat Lamarre says:

How can I prep painted or wood stained furniture before painting with milk paint?

20. ask says:

Excellent blog post. I certainly appreciate this website.
    Continue the good work!