before & after: peaches’ figurine + justina’s side table

if you caught peaches’ diy project yesterday, you are well aware of her love of color and unusual objects (i loved the male bust vase, it was like a giant floral chia pet). this quick figurine makeover is another awesome idea; with a little glue and paint, this headless matador has been brought back to life, and looks like he’s having a lot more fun. you can see more of peaches’ recycled creations on her site. great project, peaches! –kate

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

i have to admit i am a huge wimp when it comes to adding mixed patterns in my house. it’s embarrassing to watch me hem and haw over patterned accessories;  they sit on my desktop for months until i chicken out and buy something plain that ends up boring me immediately. it’s not cool. when i saw this end table project by justina of compai creative in la, i wanted to kick myself. i love how fun this pattern is, not to mention the fact that she upholstered this piece with fabric and upholstery tacks. genius. i love how it pops against the robin’s egg blue wall and the green plants. why can’t i be brave like this? i plan on looking at this project when i need a kick in the pants, not to mention justina’s blog, which is packed with a similar love of color and fun. thanks for the inspiration, justina!

1. carla says:

this is great, i just moved into a new house with some old furniture left behind in it, i was going to throw it away but now i think ill crack out the paints and give it a revamp, more of this please!

2. Chichichick says:

That little cabinet looks fantastic. Typically I would just paint it, never would have thought of upholstery and with such a bold fabric….looks great!

3. Sing says:

Wow that credenza is crazy but I love it. I need one bold piece like that in my home.

4. m3 says:

Love the idea behind the matador, but honestly the little guy is kinda creeping me out.

5. says:

I love those colors together! So brilliant:)

6. iris says:

Haha, love those Hasbeens peeking out in Justina’s cabinet photo!

7. frances says:

kind of busy.

8. Alice says:

so fresh and cheerful!!!

9. Anna @ D16 says:

Woah! That cabinet is all kinds of insane, but I love it.

10. Madhavi says:

simply loved the cabinet. SUPER DUPER WORK. Been planning to liven up my work area, but not got around to it, now i will.

11. max says:

Side table issimoly amazing, but this figurine…sorry guys, not my type at all ;)

12. Jamie says:

Justina I love your table and your shoes. Silver swedish hasbeens sandals I’m uber jealous.

13. Thanks for all of the feedback! I love how many people noticed the Hasbeens- totally my faves of the mo’! I actually agree that it’s a little bit busy, but it’s the only wowed-out and wild piece placed in an ensemble of solids at the entryway to my studio Offish. This was fun! Thanks so mch for posting, D*S!

14. ChellBellz says:

I love the dresser! I love mixing strips and patterns.

15. Marlene says:

This piece is fantastic! Where did you get the fabric?

16. kitt says:

Wow! Justina your side table rocks! So bold and colorful and happy! But I can’t help wanting to paint little freehand horizontal black stripes on the handles and all black feet under the legs. If you do it, repost!

17. starr says:

I like this change. Thank you for sharing

18. starr says:

I like this change of the dresser, really cool. Thank you for sharing

19. German says:

A piece of perfection! I feel inspired!

20. paula says:

WOW…what is the name of and where did you get the fabric? Great project!

21. tunie says:

I also would love to know where that fabric is from