sneak peek: lisa grue of underwerket

illustrator and designer lisa grue of underwerket is based in the heart of copenhagen. today we’re so happy to share a peek into her danish home which is injected with fun color, pattern and texture. you can find more of lisa’s work here, for sale here, and on her blog, and additional images of her home right here! {thanks, lisa!}anne

[above: Unique Plates made by Lisa Grue for her solo show “Owls have more fun” exhibited in New York 2010, all the plates are Royal Copenhagen porcelain (for sale at Gallery Hanahou or, Pillows from Gudrun Sjöden and Jasper Conran, vintage table painted baby blue. ]

Living room 2 with view to living room 1 –  Arne Jacobsen leather sofa and leather chairs, Arne Jacobsen lamp in the window, wallpaper called paradise made by fantastic Josef Frank (from

Living room 2 – the chairs are Alvar Aalto with a special made pillow from Turkey, lamp from Cartel, the needlework tea cosy is made by my mother, the pictures in the background on the wall are Lisa Grue print with black and white and neon pink owls, rabbits and flowers.  The painting is made by Lisa Grue: “This painting is from a series on 6 paintings called “Where is Alice?” The theme is remembering the magic in the everyday life, and the modern woman of today looking for adventure in the wrong places. I often use hard hitting words like “Sushi Whore” as contrast to the naive and colorful motifs, that creates a tension which I find interesting, something you don’t expect.” (inquiries:

Bedroom – Lisa sitting on the bed with a hat from the Hat shop in New York , her son Mika running on the floor, colorful handmade bedspread from the Grand Bazar in Istanbul, Wallpaper from Cole and Son, white vintage drawers and in the background a painting made by Lisa Grue from the series “Where is Alice?”

Bedroom – old plates from Royal Copenhagen to hang on the wall, chair by Alvar Alto, bedside table from Norrgavel, and vintage vase in the window.

CLICK HERE for the rest of lisa’s sneak peek after the jump!

Mika sitting in his chair from Ikea, baby blanket made by Lisa’s mother Lotte, Killi bed from Zebra, mini rucksack from Fjälræv, hanger from Fashion goose, wallpaper by Josef Frank. Lisa says “actually my husband and I found $200 on the street while I was pregnant with Mika, and we wanted to use the money on something good, so we bought this wallpaper called paradise for our little Mika’s room. Every evening before Mika falls to sleep we say goodnight to all the flowers, birds, fish butterflies etc. on the wallpaper, this is really something he enjoys.”

I love flowers, color and wallpaper to decorate our home, it makes me happy and I can feel it is good for my mind. The trolley was made by my husband designer Denis Sytmen. Wall paper is by Cole and son.

Kitchen – old vintage table painted baby blue, lamp from Exprit home collection, the trea Monkey is made buy Kaj Bojesen, Arne Jacobsen ant chairs, the refrigerator is a kind of memory collage with photos from our many trips around the world and off course pictures of our cute little son Mika.

Our son Mika loves to spend hours in the bath tub. The dressing table is a old vintage, and the textile on the dressing pillow is bought in Purl Soho – they have the most fantastic things.

Even if we live in the heart of Copenhagen we have got an really old charming chestnut tree outside our window, that feels good to look at every day. I am a collector and love to make small universes in the apartment, silver birds and white candlestick from Jonathan Adler, flashlight in tree from Areaware, yellow vase Holmegaard, cat from Royal Copenhagen, rest is vintage stuff.

1. Nohemi says:

2. melanie says:

what a fun home! all the wallpaper is fantastic. it looks like such effortless unique beauty. love it!

3. Oh so beautiful & fun colors! She has hanging plates everywhere, I love that! What a nice place to live in!

4. Stella says:

I believe this is the first time I have found wallpaper sweet. Will definitely have to consider it for a future child’s room to facilitate story-telling!

5. Maria says:

the painting looks fantastic!

6. claire says:

Oh, that wallpaper…swoon!

7. nualan says:

great stuff!!!

8. ashley says:

I really enjoyed this tour. The kitchen was a particular treat for me. I loved the tiny table and chairs paired with the sweet high chair. It’s difficult to integrate baby needs with style, and this was done seamlessly!

9. Mo says:

Oh my…the wallpaper!!! Such wonderful color that just makes you happy.

10. Katie says:

Oh I love all of the colors and patterns and textures – so much fun!!

11. jen says:

Love this sneak peek! Where is the adorable little yellow wall sconce/lamp in the bedroom from?

12. Fun prints! Love it all.

13. All that color! I love it.

14. Alexandra says:

What cheery colors and patterns! I’d like to make a plate collage in my home, but am unsure of the best way to hang plates with varying circumferences. Any suggestions?

15. @my says:

This is one of the happiest homes I have ever seen! It brightens my day ;)

16. @my says:

Oh yeah – that Care Bear painting? Priceless!!! ;)

17. Love all the wallpapers and color schemes! Gear style abounds.

18. Did I mention am loving the ceramic birds!

19. Elizabeth says:

OMG! That Care Bear painting. I want. I guess we e-mail that link about purchasing one? Or was it a one-off painting? Sorry to be dense; but could somebody please elaborate a bit more?

1. grace says:

hi elizabeth!

you can contact lisa via her site about purchasing artwork or commissioning a piece :)

20. Ann says:

This is the first time I’ve seen those slightly tropical plants actually fit their interior setting. The juxtaposition of plant to wallpaper is perfecto!

21. I love the colourful pompons beside each plate! What a joyous home!

22. Valentina says:

*LOVE* the colors!

23. love the pom poms and the care bear, too fun!!

24. Roxanne says:

This house is just hardcore. I love it!

25. Kristine says:

What a lovely home. I love all the wallpaper choices, so bright and fun. And the kitchen dinette set is super cute.

26. rachel says:

This… is perfection

27. Lauren says:

I agree with everyone! The colours in this house are so fantastic and it all ties together beautifully – just looking at the pics makes me happy, so living in it must be fantastic.

28. Mallory says:

This is probably my favorite house tour of all time. Allllll timeeeee. hahaha.

29. Studio Speck says:

Whoa! I just posted about my Royal Copenhagen plates today–weird. Love the colours–cheers!

30. Laura. says:

here’s a question: how are people displaying plates on the wall these days? the only way i’m familiar with are those weird wire/spring things that may or may not hold the plate securely? is there something better, please? i have my grandmother’s gorgeous china i’d love to incorporate into a plate display, but i want it to be secure.

31. Kena says:

Nice collections of plates.

32. taylor says:

This is the most “me” place I have ever seen!!! I love the quirky things she decorates with (Sushi Whore CareBear Mushroom Painting? YES PLEASE!!!) Great color & wallpaper… everything is just lovely. Thank you!

33. Great style and colors.ilovemyhouse but this one isn’t bad either :))

34. chair hire says:

Haha! love the pom pom plates on the wall!!

I would love to live here

35. Jonna says:

Just to let you guys know: it’s Alvar Aalto, with two A’s :)

36. Tanya says:

LOVE IT! I have both of the Cole and Son wallpapers in my house. They are beautiful!

37. I am in love with those owl plates! If she made ones that weren’t just decorative, I would use them every day.

38. Kim in Milwaukee says:

What a beautiful home! Love the pops of color she has everywhere.

Along with Laura, I was also wondering how she got her plates to hang on the wall w/o any wire hangers…at least I don’t see any grips holding the plates.

39. wow, what a beautiful and colorful space!

40. I never thought wallpaper would be used properly, but I enjoy the look it adds to these rooms. Thanks for sharing, these are beautiful rooms.

41. Vebosh says:

WooooW!!! nice bright colors!!! this pics inspires a lot!! i love it !!!

42. Elli Davis says:

Great design pictures once again. The texture wallpapers look little bit too funky, but the idea of hanging plates on the wall is interesting.

43. I love that tea cosy! In fact, love the room with the bright points of colour everywhere — flowers, paintings, lamp….

44. ALice says:

Aboslutely love your work. so inspiring. Where can I buy???????

45. Ana says: