sneak peek: best of outdoor spaces

it’s been a hot, hot summer! living in brooklyn, i find myself wishing for a little outdoor space to call my own. and honestly, i’d love any one of these. collected from the sneak peek archives, here are the best outdoor spaces! –amy a.

[image above: the deck on a 1903 cabin that was built in capinteria, ca from sneak peek: nancy neil]

on this new zealand deck, the high fence was constructed to keep the family dog, lily, from escapes! from sneak peek: cassandra ellis

london backyard from sneak peek: andrew sidford

heather describes her space as “moroccan modern meets an english library by way of a flea market” from sneak peek: heather taylor

this 15-foot picnic table is situated on 5 acres of primarily olive trees in sausalito, ca from sneak peek alex marshall

CLICK HERE for 16 more beautiful outdoor spaces after the jump!

it wouldn’t be a southern home, if there wasn’t a porch with a swing. this starksville, mississippi porch is from sneak peek: annie coggan

16ft deck perfect for entertaining california style in north berkley, california from sneak peek: twig & fig

tiny green space in paris from sneak peek: hidden kitchen

back garden dining spot under a rubber tree in los angeles, california from sneak peek: teresa of madison and grow

a classic four-square parterre in birmingham, alabama from sneak peek: night owl

swinging chairs from ikea just outside of copenhagen from sneak peek: copenhagen chronicles, clara zangenberg

white tarp creates a shaded oasis, also from sneak peek: copenhagen chronicles, clara zangenberg

dining room in buenos aires, argentina (stretching the definition of outdoor a bit here! this was originally an outdoor courtyard but now has a glass roof) from sneak peek eliza jane curtis

from sneak peek: heather of quince

for these san diego residents, nearly every meal is eaten on this picnic table! from sneak peek: jennifer anderson

a little greenhouse in savannah, georgia from sneak peek liz demos of @ home

a true southern porch – just the place to listen to bugs and watch the rain! from sneak peek: rebecca wood of r.wood studio

vintage patio furniture fills this austin, texas deck from sneak peek: penny de los santos

these adirondack chairs get lots of use! from sneak peek: elephant props

david stark’s fantastic brooklyn balcony from sneak peek: david stark

the side table is a cube that lights up at night. the chair is a reproduction french mid-century chair from SITE in astoria, queens from sneak peek: SITEdesign

1. All the pictures are absolutely gorgeous!The IKEA black wicker chairs are fantastic!

2. Holyoke Home says:

Oh my. So many wonderful inspirational ideas. Thanks for pulling these all together.

3. Naomi says:

Even if you live in a smaller place with a patio you can decorate the area to be an extended living space. I love these images and they are filled with so much inspiration.

4. teresa Grow says:

how exciting and fun! i am having my morning coffee and checking out grace’s post when i see a pic of my backyard! thanks grace! you just made my day!

teresa

5. summer and the outdoor livin’ is easy!

6. That white porch in Mississippi looks so cool and lovely. Just give me a cocktail and it is complete. I love my Boston apt, but summer in the city can get long.

7. Sarah says:

we get the concrete poured tomorrow on our new patio! we are a few phases away from our dream outdoor space but these pictures really get me excited!

8. Wendy Kelly says:

These outdoor spaces are inspired. As more and more owners at Kootenay Lake Village build their dream homes, we’re all needing ideas on how to perfect our outdoor areas.

9. Molly says:

Perhaps you’re already planning to, but would you please do a “Best of Small Spaces?” I could really use some inspiration.

10. Melissa says:

Wow lot and lots of great looking outdoor space. I love it!

11. what amazing spaces. i especially love heather taylor and alez marshalls spaces! thanks for the inspiration!

12. these outdoor inspirations are awesome!! Loved them all…

13. Kelly says:

jealousy is an uncomfortable emotion.urg!

14. All I can say is “thank you” for so many wonderful sources of inspiration on outdoor spaces- lighting, table settings, seating, etc.

I am saving this:).

15. Katie Bee says:

1. I want a yard. I live in a small town with lots of open space, but in university housing with no yard…or balcony…
    2. I want those Ikea hanging chairs in said yard! I love sitting outdoors and off the ground–swings, hammocks, any of it.

16. Ellen says:

Does anyone know where to get the metal white chairs in the second pic (the New Zealand porch)?

And, D*S you’re the best!! Thanks for such inspiring posts!

17. These outdoor living areas are wonderful and come without the expense of a roof and four walls. As a real estate agent I am seeing more and more buyers focus on the “outdoor” living space. Great ideas found here!

18. Emma Glencross says:

Wow..Thank you ..I was up to my eyes in cranky clients and complicated work issues when this link popped up in my email …and you took me on a mini vacation..now I feel calm and serene! I am currently house hunting in the city and mourning the idea of not having a garden but you showed me how beautiful a deck or tiny yard can be

19. Kate Skogen says:

thanks, amy, for compiling all of these amazing outdoor spaces! we’re in the middle of a yard renovation and am so inspired!

20. I LOVE this site! design inspired from all over the globe, trendy ideas and very artful
    love it? share it!

21. kyle q says:

FYI I don’t think Alex Marshall’s outdoor space is in Sausalito…the sneak peak said her first gallery was in Sausalito but her home is in the central valley. 5 Acres in Sausalito is unheard of!
    Only because I grew up there… :)