sneak peek: anne-claire rohé

anne-claire rohé left france for new york in 1998 after obtaining a degree in photography and the arts. now, in addition to her breath-taking photo projects – sold via drift(ed) – she works at one of our favorite new york stores, matta. (love their scarves!) anne-claire’s bushwick, brooklyn apartment was actually inspired by nicolette camille’s sneak peek. anne- claire loved nicolette’s palette of soft blues and natural wood and created a similar relaxed, natural feeling that has a her own artistic sensibility. {thanks anne-claire!} -amy a

[My home is one of the most grounding element in my life. When I found this beautiful space about a year ago, I immediately fell in love with its details. I loved the openness of the space and the fact that each room peeks into the other one. The high ceilings are also a great feature. I wanted it to become a calming place, something between an artist atelier and a modern country house. I thrive on silence and quietness, that is where I recharge, so I need to be visually stimulated to feel complete at the end of the day. Beauty is very accessible, you really don’t need too much of a budget to surround yourself with it.

Most of my favorite objects are etsy finds or from vintage stores. The wood-blocks book ends are a gift from my sister, she snapped them right off of my etsy wishlist for Christmas. I am always on the look for wooden objects, they make a room look organic. The lamp is an ebay find, the blue bottle is from bluebellbazaar on etsy. The painting on top is my first original painting purchase. I bought it in a gallery in Hell’s Kitchen. It is by a Spanish painter and is a landscape of the city of Madrid.  The multicolor throw on the couch is one of my biggest splurge as far as home accessory. It is from Thomas Eyck and is a striking work of art!]

[image above: The kitchen build-in cabinet was the icing on the cake in this apartment! I was so excited to have this old-fashioned feature to store my kitchenware. I grew up in the country side of France and this definitely reminds me of something very dear to my heart.]

[image above: The ’50s credenza was a gift to myself. I found it on Craigslist for a decent price and it was mine!  Above it is a small collection of original art & prints form books and magazines i accumulated over the years. The framed picture on the far right was a gift from my friend & talented photographer Silas Shabelewska from her series Roads. The top drawing of the pig in the snow was a Salvation Army find.
The antique rug was found in a store called Callalilai in Brooklyn. They have a beautiful selection of kilim rugs.]

[image above: My ultimate dream would be to makeover my kitchen – I’d love new floors, a fresher wall color and a long farm table. However, this is what i have now and I actually quite enjoy eating at this table. It is from Ikea. The mismatched chairs are from different secondhand stores – I like mixing black, white and natural wood. The pillow on the left chair is from Urban Outfitters. The wooden plate is from Crate&Barrel.
I made the hot-pink wire installation above the table as a modest attempt to honor the work of Fred Sandback. I want to play more with it. The industrial lamp is vintage.]

CLICK HERE for more of Anne-Claire’s Brooklyn apartment!

[image above: This gorgeous photograph is from a very dear friend of mine Aurele Hardouin who lives in France and has a beautiful gallery in Nantes called Atelier-A. You will notice that all my colored pencils are all sharp and perfect. Well, this is because i never use them! I don’t draw – I just love the look of them in a jar.]

[image above: This chime was a gift from my mother. It is from Woodstock Chimes.]

[image above: Vintage wine jugs are very hard to resist for me to resist. I would collect them if i could! They just bring an element of “water” to a room somehow. I adore the simplicity of the lines and the soothing color.]

[image above: I use clipboards to refresh my wall art selection frequently.]

[image above: I really enjoy having the couch facing the windows. I spend long contemplative hours on it.  It is from Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams. The silk ikat pillows are from Matta and the printed one Thomas Paul.  As I said earlier, wood is a bit of a leitmotiv in my home. I brought a lot of driftwood form beaches in Massachusetts last year and used some of them as object of decor. This piece was just meant to hang above my bed and hold a lamp shade. It was just shaped perfectly at an angle. I can’t resist the look of driftwood. I like the chalky color, the fact that some if them almost look like bones.]

1. jessica says:

all i can really manage to say, is wow.
    Here place is lovely, the furniture, the art….it’s beautiful !
    Great post

2. Rocio says:

ABSOLUTETY LOVE the simple but beautiful wire installation above the kitchen table! I want something like that at home! Congratulations for you beautiful house!

3. victoria says:

love it! peaceful and uncluttered, but lots of personality.

4. Kristan says:

I love how you have made “charmingly mismatched” your style! Sometimes I wonder whether I should do that, or try to make things fit some sort of color/style scheme… Your place makes a very good argument for this!

5. can i move in? please? :-)
    i pinned half of these gorgeous photos to my “interior calm” pinboard. i too love to create space in my home that serve the purpose of grounding me & my over-creative mind. love love love all the hues you utilized here… my newly decorated office has a similar mood. congratulations of a beautiful home!

6. kiki says:

so many great ideas! love the light around the branch, the mixed wood bookshelves on industrial brackets, the string/nail geometric art, just lovely!!

7. How lovely and peaceful. *One of my favorite tricks for covering ugly kitchen/bathroom floors is to buy a large, relatively inexpensive sisal/sea grass rug and cut it to size with some heavy carpet shears ; ) This has saved my design aesthetic in numerous abodes!

8. ps – Can I ask how you found your apartment (friend, craigslist, broker)? I’m looking to move back to NYC for the first time in 10 years and am totally overwhelmed! Looking for something in your general area (maybe closer to Williamsburg) w/charm and detail.

9. mixette says:

I *love* your Fred Stanback inspired piece! The landscape architects used that pink string to lay out poured-concrete pads in my back yard, which I thought looked really cool itself – I photographed it to remember. You’ve inspired me to bring it inside and play.

10. summerbl4ck says:

Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why there is toilet paper in the kitchen cabinet?

11. anne-claire says:

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!
    TPS: thank you for the tip, hell yeah my kitchen floors need to be hidden ;-) it’s in the process –
    I found this apartment through Craig’s list. Classic. I got very lucky though and i was on a budget. If you want a spacious place don’t stay too close to williamsburg. Everything is overpriced over there…! my advice.

12. Dyana says:

I must say, I love the disorder of the built-in cabinet. Some of the homes shown, while beautiful, make me feel like I’m walking around in a museum and shouldn’t touch anything. This one makes me feel that I am invited in for a cup of tea and a good conversation. Lovely.

13. Silas Shabelewska says:

Magnifique ma chou! vraiment..

14. Karyn says:

This apartment took my breath away, too! So, so thoughtful, calm, and beautiful; just marvelous!

15. ish says:

i LOVE your bookshelf! where/ how can i get those timber shelves!??

beautiful apt!

16. anne-claire says:

ish: the shelves were there when i moved in. Sorry i can’t help on this one.

17. misa says:

your lamps are all gorgeous! I love how they have so much personality. I used to have the same white pitcher… it’s a good one and I miss it!

18. Rebeca says:

What a wonderful, relaxing space! I especially like the patterned blue table below Aurele Hardouin’s photo. Where did you find it?

19. Emily says:

GORGEOUS–love the wood and water elements along with the neutral colors and personal touches.

The “Sneak Peeks” section is just getting better and better! I look forward to each post.

20. Allie says:

I love your painted wood floors!

21. Stella says:

PS. If you like built in kitchen cabinets like the one in the second picture, I’ve had one in about every inexpensive apartment I’ve had in St. Louis.

Thanks for the inspiration with the clipboards! I have loads of them at work and I also collect paper ephemera that just stays in its bin…. until now!

22. anne-claire says:

Rebeca: it is a 4 drawer dresser. I bought it at a housing works store many years ago.

23. FinderMaker says:

It sure was nice to see such a lovely Brooklyn apt.– like TPS, I am moving back to NY at the end of August , and have been totally bummed poring over hundreds of cruddy looking craigslist listings. It is very heartening to know that nice spaces do exist there (now if I could just find one, please?!)! I’m guessing the wood floors were probably painted by a landlord that was too lazy to refinish them, but they do look great with your aesthetic! Nicely done home!!!

24. tra says:

I was wondering which sneak peek you were referring to? Nicolette Camille? The link doesn’t seem to work.

1. grace says:

tra

the link is fixed now- sorry about that!

g

25. I just absolutely LOVE the beautiful built-in kitchen cabinet! All your rooms are so lovely, but that cabinet just makes me sigh…

26. gorgeous space …love how all the neutral colors work together

27. Anne says:

That is a BEAUTIFUL house. Every room is amazing! (I especially loved the built in cabinet, it was great.) I wish I lived in your house ;)

28. Heather says:

What a cozy apartment! I love the collected disorder, the touches of personality and artistry everywhere!

29. I love the idea of hanging a clipboard on the wall and switching out the photograph. This way you’re not “stuck” with one picture, you can change it out based on that day’s inspiration.

Cheers,
    C

30. tezgah says:

I loved your carpets.

31. Martha says:

that kitchen has me on craiglist pursuing eclectic chairs for my dining room…

32. Preston says:

Beautiful Apartment.

Can you source the table lamp on the console table in the photo with the guitar? Thanks

P

33. Alison says:

I love your apartment! Can you tell me where the white bowl on your kitchen table is from?? And what is the name of that Ikea table… it looks like it would be perfect for my kitchen, but I’ve never seen it before.

34. alex sunday says:

yep, i adore the wire installation as well. very inspiring.

35. Sue says:

I have just found your blog in an etsy forum, I only have a min to spare, but will be back later!
    Very inspired writing and images ♥

36. Wow, what a fantastic apartment! Where did you source the lamp hanging around the branch? Or if that is a custom made item by yourself bravo.

37. Sarade says:

I love the gold-framed mirror in the top photo, as well as the light and uncluttered style of the rooms!

38. anne-claire says:

Preston: the lamp is from wunderworks. These guys are based here in nyc. I love this lamp.
    Alison: i got the table from a hand-me-down so i don’t know the name, it must be on the Ikea website unless it’s been discontinued. i got the bowl at a flea market.

39. anne-claire says:

i meant wunderwurks-

40. quincin says:

I love your apartment! Especially the details near the ceiling!

41. Eva says:

lovely! nice idea with the driftwoodlamp!

42. summerbl4ck : I agree about the toilet paper, i don’t mind that the pix aren’t totally “styled” but the tp seems a bit odd in that lovely cabinet…. otherwise totally beautiful home! it has actually inspired me to look at apts in Bushwick since Ican’t find a 2-brm in Williamsburg!

43. Becs says:

Really beautiful! I feel my style is changing and every single room speaks to me! LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. Edy - Towels says:

This looks so beautiful. Very nicely done. I love this. Thanks.

45. joanne says:

the hot pink wall installation is fantastic! what materials did you use?

46. pimientoconalas says:

i really love this place!!

47. jill says:

gorgeous. what a great space!

48. Becca says:

Argh! You have the credenza that matches my china cabinet and dining room table (also off of craigslist)! I’m very jealous. It looks great!

49. yokomiko says:

those wood-block bookends are fantastic – would you be able to say where they came from?