living in: fried green tomatoes

Many, many hearty thanks to the lovely and talented Amy Azzarito for making such a sweet living in post while I was having a blissful few days away from the computer. I mean, I love y’all, but even in the best of relationships, a girl needs some space. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that?

I digress. Fried Green Tomatoes is genuine sweetness personified and that’s what we’re here to talk about. The sweet, sentimental, southern goodness of baking pies and scraping knees and traveling a bumpy road with someone you love. (Insert possible gagging noise from sweetness overload.)

iron skillet $11, apple pie recipe, vintage farmhouse dress $88, large wood spoon $7, spice tins $13, tomato plants $19, belfast oxfords $39, elmira reproduction range $7100, mason cash ceramic mixing bowls $30.

But that’s okay. Even the less sweetly inclined can’t turn down the idea of goofing off in the kitchen with your best girlfriend (or your actual girlfriend, depending on if you, ahem, read the book) and hopping trains and midnight lake swims and honey freshly dug from a hive. Or best of all some darn tasty fried green tomatoes. –amy m.

pendleton lambswool throw $75, straw bowler hat $48, mason jar beverage dispenser $69, vintage lee overalls $185, mason jar glasses $22 for 12, vintage picnic basket $50, carlisle raw wildflower honey $13.75, honey dipper $1.95.

1. heather says:

ooh yes for Enchanted April! I agree, those overalls are ridiculously priced! So the town is Juliette, GA?

2. Emily Greene says:

The movie was filmed in Juliette, Georgia, and there is a Whistle Stop Cafe there, but the original Whistle Stop Cafe is in Irondale, Alabama, just outside of Birmingham, where Fanny Flagg is from. The cafe is still there, and is called the Irondale Cafe. I have had fried green tomatoes there, and didn’t think they were the best, but the Birmingham area has some amazing ones to be found!

3. penelope says:

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid along with a league of their own and another Mary Stuart Masterson flick, Benny and June.

4. amy says:

I too love this movie! I read the book. But I don’t remember, was Idgy gay? I always wondered if she was.

5. Kelly says:

Oh, I loved this and it’s been years since I’ve seen it. What a great film and I love that you thought to profile it. Next, how about “A Trip to Bountiful”?

6. Kristen says:

I was so happy to see this film featured as a Living In. I am so happy you chose this movie – my favorite! Wonderfully done!

7. Stacey says:

I have always found comfort in the kitchen scene especially when they are baking pies.

8. I heart you so big right now. I love this “lived in” being a southern designin’ gal, I was just hoping you’d get around to Ruth and Idgie one day. It’s great – thanks!

9. Mandy says:

This is just gorgeous, and I’ve seen it more than once posted by my friends on facebook today.
    I’m watching The Brothers Bloom right now, and it is so pretty! I would love a “living in” The Brothers Bloom. And I would especially like a Brothers Bloom-inspired wardrobe…

10. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles

11. Abigail says:

I can’t believe I missed this when it first came out–this is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIES. Thank you so much for including it. :D