diy project: karen’s mirrored planter box

this mirrored planter reminds me how much i like dollar stores, where it seems like every aisle calls out with its potential for creative projects. karen at the art of doing stuff is well aware of this goldmine; her projects often utilize inexpensive materials to create something rad. this time she managed to score these mirrored squares and turn them into modern, clean vases.  i like to have a running list of quick projects to do when time is limited, or just to pick me up when i feel bored or glum. this project is a perfect solution for a rainy day, and if you fill it with a string of pearls or another draping plant, the reflection will give you two plants for one! HERE is the full set of instructions, including some more how-to images. thanks for sharing this clever project with us, karen! –kate

1. Love the planter-that’s one of those, “why didn’t I think of that” moments. Really cute idea.

2. Danielle says:

LOVE karen’s blog. i especially love her dollar store projects!

3. Christin says:

I’m a big fan of any DIY that involves a hot glue gun and the mirrored planter boxes are adorable! I’ll be gluin’ up some of these ASAP…well ASAP as soon as I have a place to put them.

4. Rachel says:

omg i love dollar stores for unexpected craft supplies! i actually own a bunch of these mirror squares that i use as coasters! lol
    they also work great for any blogging photoshoots as i’ll sometimes place the object i’m photographing on a square to add depth, interest, & glamor! :)
    i will have to try this

5. WeddingXpert says:

I adore this! These would make the perfect centerpieces for a glam wedding…add some candles and it would sparkle beautifully.

6. Super cute idea! Yeah, I agree with Laura, why didn’t I think of that? Such creative people you showcase, I love it.

7. Kate says:

These are fantastic! I love Karen’s blog as well, but had missed these – thank you for sharing them here!

8. I love it! These would be great for centerpieces at a wedding or any party!

9. Megan Floyd says:

Crazily, I think I have enough little mirrors stuffed in a box with candle supplies that I could make this today!

10. Oh wow – how easy and perfect!

11. Steph says:

These are so cool! Very versatile and easy!

12. sun says:

what a great great idea!!!

13. Bethany says:

Love these! BTW, what plant is being grown in that top picture up there? I’ve been looking for a nice drapey sort of indoor plant to grow for a while. Very pretty!

14. Hi all! Thanks for the nice comments! Bethany – the plants are Baby Tears. I LOVE them. Really bright green and drapey. DON’T let them dry out though. They’ll croak instantly.

15. Bethany says:

Baby Tears – sounds very…sad. lol Thanks for the tip! This just might be the plant for me!

16. ag. says:

this is a fantastic idea! love it…thanks!!!

17. This is fabulous – I am gonna have to keep this one in mind.

18. creative oneders says:

Love the idea and LOVE your sense of humour!

19. Carina says:

Love it! I posted on my blog and linked it to here, ok? You can see the post here: http://thingsbycari.blogspot.com/2011/01/cachepo-lindo-e-barato.html
    Thanks!

20. Leanne says:

I just got 20 of these mirrors for $.56 at Steinmart, i’m gonna make 4 boxes and put fresh kitchen plants in them so I can display them in the kitchen and use it to cook!

21. Sandra says:

Absolutely lovely. I can’t wait to make mine. Baby tears r perfect. I love dollar store’s, too. Cactus plants would also be perfect for those non green thumbers. Thx for sharing.

22. Sandra says:

What do u mean moderation?