diy project: karen’s coffee can lanterns

the nights are warming up here in northern ca, so i’m eager to tackle this lantern diy project from karen at maggiemakes. named after her adorable black lab, karen’s blog primarily focuses on crafts for around the home and provides great instructions and photos. i can’t wait to grab a hammer and a can and give it a go. thanks karen! -kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

summer may have skipped my part of the globe this year but that hasn’t stopped me from dreaming of those long warm summer nights outside relaxing with friends. when summer decides to come our way i will be ready to enjoy those nights with these rustic coffee can lanterns. inexpensive, fun, simple to make and customize, they add the perfect decoration for a late night BBQ with a group of friends or a night of gin and tonics with the one you love. try our three designs or create your own, with a variety of tools the possibilities are endless. -karen

– Coffee Cans
– Ball-peen hammer
– 2 x 4 (one foot length)
– 1 x 4 (two foot length)
– Clamps
– Nails, screwdrivers (variety)
– Votives

1. Prepare your workspace by attaching the 1×4 to the 2×4 as shown using wood screws or nails. Make sure the 1×4 extends the 2×4 on one end by the depth of your can and is attached with the 1inch edge upwards. This thin work area helps to prevent denting to your lantern when punching the design. Use the clamps to secure the 2×4 to a sturdy table.

2. Print out the design of your choice and tape it around your can.

3. Place the end of the 1×4 inside your can. Using a small nail, punch the corner dots in the design you choose. Turn the can as you go to make sure that the area you are punching is supported by the wood.

4. Remove the paper. Using your other tools finish punching the rest of the design following your guide holes. Experiment with a variety of nails and screwdrivers to create different shape and size punches.

5. For hanging, use the wire to create a simple hook by threading a length of wire through two holes on opposite sides of the can and secure.

6. To finish add 2-3 votives, light and enjoy!

1. karen says:

ooohhhh nice I have visions of these in my backyard. All shapes and sizes.

2. Candylei says:

Wow they are beautiful! Very creative.

3. Jen says:

These are so lovely, and a great way to use old cans again. Thanks for posting this…Not a coffee drinker, but maybe I’ll hit up some neighbors for theirs and mix them with veggie cans!

4. Sue Anthony says:

I can’t wait to make these.

5. Lan Succi says:

You also can make like this:
    Sorry for the bad english.

6. I really like the idea of freezing water inside for support while punching the holes.
    I think these would make great gifts for Christmas. Great for outdoor rooms.

7. Anissa says:

Sa donne une super ambiance!

8. Nihara says:

these are so beautiful! I’m so going to try this! thank you so much 4 sharing this design!! =)

9. Laura says:

What a clever idea! I’ll have to try it!

10. Emma says:

I love this one. Wish I had a nice garden to hang them in.

11. Victoria says:

Wow these are PERFECT! I’ll try by freezing the water like others suggested

12. Sophia says:

WOW! You did a fantastic job! I love lanterns very much. I have lots of exotic lanterns since I’m from South East Asia. I have never had coffee can one. I’ll give it a try! I’ve done DIY projects and posted on Hop on and swap DIY ideas. Feel free to promote cool projects from your blog!

13. These are so pretty! I’ve added them to my Tin Can Crafts roundup today! Thanks so much!

14. lisa says:

Hello everyone,
    I just made a couple of these for christmas gifts. the cans i used are very new and too shiny. any ideas on how to age them quickly? thanks :)

15. Lisa,
    You may be able to age the cans a bit by sanding them with a pretty fine grit sandpaper (somewhere around 600 to 200 grit). Using a fine sandpaper will knock the sheen off the cans without taking the labels off. Once you “rough” up the can you could wet it with salt water to get it to rust fairly quickly.

There are undoubtedly better ideas to age your cans quickly, but this technique should help ya out.

16. lisa says:

hey chris cook,
    thank you so much! i’ll let you know once i try it out!

17. julie says:

Feel kind of dumb – but I can’t figure out how to print the templates at 200%?

18. Ramona says:

These are so pretty……….

19. Sally says:

I love your creativity.. I have made these lanterns .. an easier way is to transfer your pattern and then fill the cans with water and freeze them.. it’s so easy to then punch out the design with hammer & nail.. thanks again

20. Julie says:

Really cute idea! I can’t wait to make some for my patio/deck, and use citronella candles in them. Mosquito’s can be fierce in Michigan on those warm evenings!

21. Penelope says:

Where did you get your patterns? I really like them. can you post them?

22. lookitsatree says:

For the dozen-or-so responses talking about how the trick of filling the can with water and freezing instead of using the wood: the let’s-use-wood-as-structural-support seems like a good plan, and a great way to avoid the unusable-for-my-purposes bulges that the ice expansion causes to my cans. :) Thanks for the tip!

1. Azirkah says:

This is a terribly belated reply, but to avoid blowing out the bottom of the can, freeze only an inch or two of water, THEN fill the can the rest of the way and allow to freeze again. =)

23. Aidel.K says:

@Julie–this is probably not the best solution, but here’s what I’m doing. On the PDF toolbar for the template, go to “view” and scroll down to “rotate view.” Click on “counter clockwise.” Then look for a box ( a little to right and below “view”) that has a number in it like 100%. Use the + next to it to make it 200%. Move the template around a little bit to choose the pattern you want to print out. Voila!

24. Jamie says:

This is a great idea! I love crafts of all kinds AND candles & holders. Im so excited to try this. My only question is, can I paint the can? if so, should I paint it before or after punching the holes?

25. Lisa says:

I am thinking about making some of these tin lanterns and thought of using some of my Turkish tiles as pattern designs for the lanterns. I think it will be easy to scan the tiles, then, after sizing, print them out in black and white and tape to tin as a template. Will let you know how it works out. I think what drew me to these tins is the patterns used. I find them so romantic! Thanks so much for sharing, Lisa in Greece

26. Lori says:

These are awesome! I can’t wait to try it.

27. Jamie B says:

These hanging lanterns are a-maze-ing!! I hope it’s okay, I just couldn’t help but feature them on my tin can crafts round-up I just finished. I have linked back to both this post and maggie makes, too. You can see the round-up here:

28. Kelsey says:

May question is the same as Jamie’s…can you paint the cans? I think it would make more sense to paint them after as paint can cover a multitude of errors.

29. kATHI says:

I fill the cans with water and freeze them,then do my design, they stay in SHAPE BETTER THAT WAY!!!!!

30. Kathi says:

I fill the cans with water, before I punch them,they stay in shape better that way

31. Z Bakery says:

Does anyone know where to find the patterns mentioned on the blog? Suggested link does not work anymore. Thank you.

32. Colette says:

An easier way of doing it would be to freeze water in the can and then hammer out the pattern – it stops the can bending, but then you’ve got to thaw out the water!

33. Irena says:

Hi, Like Z Bakery I am also looking for the missing patterns… does anyone know where I can find them?? Very much appreciated.

34. Diana says:

I, too, would love if someone has the patterns & would share them with me– I’ve seen several canterns, but these are the cutest! :D

35. Stephanie says:

I can’t find the templates for these anywhere-the links are broken! Does anybody know where to find the PDF?

36. Totally awesome!!! Time to roll up my sleeves and make some candle lanterns! Thanks for sharing!

37. Stephanie says:

I’ve been trying to find the templates for these for ages, as the blog Maggie Makes is no longer up. The domain is for sale. I’ve tried putting the link into the wayback machine and looking for a cached version and I can’t find a darn thing. Is there anyone who can respond with a PDF of the templates? It seems I’m not the only one having this issue. Does the owner of this website monitor comments?

38. Jo says:

This is fabulous! Do you have a public workshop in Northern California? I am in Northern California too.I would love to be able to print the candle lantern designs or see more projects.

39. diane says:

Some good news. To any and all of you looking for this template, I somehow just found it (while having tried many searches unsuccessfully for some time). It seems that Karen lost the maggiemakes domain, and her new one is: The templates for the lanterns can be found here:

Can’t wait to make these!

40. Sharon says:

41. Michael says:

Easy and simple. Not expensive. I will try it.

Thanks :)

42. Carolyn says:

Great Idea!

43. Amie says:

Having trouble getting enough cans? Go to a local school and ask the awesome lunchroom supervisor to save the vegetable cans(they have the ones that are larger than coffee cans)for you! In no time you will have as many cans as you need! I made these for Christmas Luminaries, they were soo pretty.

44. Danielle says:

Ive made some of these & spray painted/decorated them but I was wondering if there was a heatproof paint you can apply to the inside so the decorations on the outside (glue, paint, glitter) do not overheat & melt?? Advise much appreciated :-)