diy project: angela adams’ bait bag planters

well, we’ve just passed the fourth of july holiday, and summer is in full swing…where better to look for a project than vacationland? yes, i love you maine! nan at angela adams was kind enough to send us the instructions for this planter display from the angela adams store in portland. thank you nan and angela, and happy crafting everyone! -kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

angela had the idea of using bait bags (since her brothers and uncles are all lobstermen, these bags are from her uncle peter) and mason jars with line from the local marine store to make a hanging terrarium. once i collected all the parts, it was so fun and easy to make and people are loving the look. bait bags wash up on the beach all the time, but you can also purchase them from a marine supply store. -nan

Materials:

-bait bags (these are lobstering bags: 7″ with 1″ mesh machine tied bags. they cost about $7.95/dozen. you can find them at marine stores or online here.)

– mason jars

– mending twine (this is mending twine #36 and costs $5.59/spool. you can also find this at marine stores or online here.)

-plants
Instructions:

1. Cut the twine to double the length you want the planter to hang. Insert jar into bait bag, weave the twine half-way around the top edge of bait bag.

2. Insert plants into the jar, pull the ends of the twine together and make a knot at the top of planter, then tie another knot at very ends of twine and hang.

3. To choose the right plants, go to local greenhouse and let them know the conditions (light and air) of the spot you are hanging the bait bag planters. You can purchase aquatic plants too, also called hydrophytic plants. The kind we purchased are happy with direct sunlight and a dry atmosphere; the aquatic ones we chose are Peace Lilly and Palm which you can plant in water in the jars. The ones we planted in dirt in the jars are Pony Tail and Norfolk Pine.

1. kimberly says:

GREAT idea!! i cant wait to make on of these for my kitchen window!

2. Casey says:

hooray for another Portland,ME shout out!

3. Alicia says:

I love this idea! I always see them washed up on the beach, now I know how to reuse them!

4. Ali says:

Very cool! I want to put orchids in them!

5. FinderMaker says:

Neat!!! I have found several of these mesh bags washed ashore in Rhode Island, and on a recent trip to Maine, and thought they might be for bait, but wasn’t sure. They are really nifty looking, so I couldn’t help but bring them home with me and give them a good cleaning– they have just been languishing in one of my craft bins, though. I LOVE your creative ideas for them– Thanks for sharing!!!

6. CapreeK says:

Brilliant! I love this idea, though in a land-locked state, I’m not sure how readily I’d be able to locate bait bags. ;) Still, a very cool concept / DIY idea! Thanks for sharing, Nan!

7. Sandra says:

Great idea, I would love to try this.

8. Raychell Libby says:

yay for Portland! we rule. ;)

9. Ankh says:

I loved this idea. I am publishing it on my blog with credits to you… beautiful! Regards, Oficina Dutton/Ankh.

10. Darrell Alley says:

I found your website while looking for twine to knit lobster bait pockets; as we call them here in eastern Maine. I am a commercial fisherman, and I knit my own bait pockets. If anyone out there would like to purchase some I would be able to make you some.

11. George says:

I have a room that this would like awesome in, thanks for sharing!