biz ladies: how i got started + how to make the leap to FT

rosie_the_riveter1
today i’m stepping in to share something a bit more personal in the biz ladies column. when we launched d*s consulting last month i got to hear from close to a thousand of you about your biggest hopes, dreams, fears, and questions. i can’t tell you how comforting it was to hear so many of my own concerns (past & present) about running your own business, and to feel like so many of us have the same issues and could really learn from each other. because i wasn’t able, physically, to consult with everyone on the list, i decided to create a series of videos to address their most commonly asked questions: how to make the leap from part time to full time business owner, how to stay balanced and focused, and how i turned d*s from a one-woman part time blog to a full-time job with a team of contributors.

i shared these three videos with the consulting list last month and today i thought it might be helpful to share them here as well. so today i’ll be sharing the first two videos: how i got started and turned d*s into my full-time job, and my advice for making the leap from part time to full time job. the first video (how i got started) is the longest in the series, about 10 minutes long, and the second (advice about PT to FT) is about 4 minutes long. i know it can be tough to listen at work, so if you want to watch these on your ride home (riding, not driving, of course) they’re available at the youtube links below for watching on your phone. i’ll be sharing the third video soon (advice for staying focused and balanced), so stay tuned for that in the next week or two. thanks again to all of the consulting list members who shared their biggest fears and questions with me- reading through those forms was a very touching and emotional process for me. it brought me back to my highest and lowest points with running d*s and it’s been such a joy to work with so many of you to learn from each other’s experiences.

CLICK HERE to watch the first two videos after the jump, or get the YouTube links to watch later

Video One: How I Got Started and Turned D*S into a Full Time Job

(Youtube link to watch on a phone, etc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHc4JlKwKs)

Video TWO: My Advice for Going Full Time with Your Business

(Youtube link to watch on a phone, etc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aa4Us-StwE)

1. Amazing work Grace! You truly are a pioneer in this industry. I’m so happy for you and that you were able to take a one woman show and make it what it is today…it is scary, but you’ve done an amazing job and you should be so proud!

Congrats!

1. grace says:

grace

2. lifeafterninetofive says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been trying to work on my own for almost 9 years now and I have to say it is so hard getting started. Or I guess I should say it’s easy to start but hard to keep up. I have been reading your blog for quite some time and am just trying to figure out the right career path to take. I love what you said about just starting this off because you enjoyed it so much. I think I need to start thinking of my venture more as a fun hobby for now. I really appreciate your words of wisdom!

1. grace says:

thanks LANTF

best of luck with your work, hobby or not. having something you’re passionate about that you can do during the week or on weekends is always what’s most valuable. sometimes the added pressure of profitability can take the fun away so i hope you’re able to find a way to still enjoy doing what you love, full time or not :)

grace

3. Juliana says:

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “I have no idea what I’m doing” in trying to grow my business. Your videos, advice (and all the Biz Ladies information) have suddenly made things much more clear, attainable and tangible. For sometime now, I’ve been holding back from participating in the online community, for fear of . . . well I’m not sure what. The unknown. This is my first actual comment on any post or blog and I just wanted to say thank you so much. I’m ready and excited to learn as much as possible!

1. grace says:

thanks so much, juliana :)

g

4. charlotte says:

thank you for sharing – really appreciate! pesky followup question – ironically in fact i am wondering where the best place to get melamime plates printed and other screenprinting sort of vendors around chicago – and looking at etsy with a new lense – where is this well of information you mentioned? i am a little lost in the forums. if you or anyone could let me know that would be great! cheers

5. Dawn says:

Grace Thank for you posting these videos. They are both encouraging and helpful. I am at the point of trying to find the time to make new product while cutting back my hours at work and getting down to making the numbers work. Your enthusiasm is motivating!
    Thanks