before & after: ted’s bar + cindy’s kitchen

today’s final post comes from a former street hockey teammate of grace’s, designer and builder, ted kilcommons. ted worked on creating this amazing custom bar for the bodega wine bar in bushwick, brooklyn. the previously empty, white space was completely transformed and the mix of textures (penny tile, plaster walls, and concrete counters) really adds a nice sense of warmth to the room. click here to check out more of ted’s work online. –kate

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

CLICK HERE for cindy’s kitchen makeover after the jump!

i love looking at vintage kitchen ads, so when i saw cindy’s kitchen renovation i was so excited! while it was a lot of hard work, apparently the project was not without its fun discoveries: under several layers of old flooring, cindy and her demo team discovered pink glittered linoleum! cindy was determined to find a nice, indoor oil-based paint for her cabinets, and it really paid off – the color went on nicely with just one coat. the whole process took about five months, and the results are beautiful. great work, cindy!

1. Jacque says:

Fantastic!! I want to redo my kitchen as well. Have any ideas on how to resurface particle board type cabinets?!

2. amy says:

If not for the photos, I wouldn’t have believed where the new kitchen started. AMAZING!

3. The kitchen looks so fresh!

XO
    Lenore

4. Tricia Rose says:

I’m so glad she saved the wiggly pattern over the sink! And I love the floor,

5. lnm says:

Incredible bar, and the kitchen is great. It’s inspiring to see how little money is needed when there is vision and creativity.

6. Kelly says:

These are both amazing. I love the detail on the ceiling in the remodeled bar. And the reuse of the old cabinetry, talk about sustainable. Great job guys!

7. Elizabeth says:

I just adore the kitchen redo, so much more charming.

8. kate says:

Can you tell me what indoor oil-based paint you used on the cabinets? Did it take a few days to ‘cure’?

9. Erica says:

Cindy, I am dying to do the same thing with my kitchen. Do you have any resources you found invaluable?

10. Gina says:

Very cute!! I love the green cabinets!

11. tezgah says:

You did amazing job.

12. Tanjia says:

I’m wondering what kind of paint she used, too!
    I adore that penny tile on the bar. Just gorgeous!

13. Julie says:

This kitchen is evidence that you don’t always have to take a sledge hammer to the cabinets and add (yawn) granite countertops to a perfectly functional and charming vintage kitchen! I cringe everytime I see the shows on HGTV where this happens, so wasteful and unimaginative!

14. WyGal says:

What a big difference and inspiration for us all when faced with a sad old kitchen and little funds! Someday…that floor will be mine too!

15. anna says:

the kitchen is adorable and some much more cheerful. ted k has some pretty great work on his website…love the bar reno.

16. Anabel says:

I love the kitchen! I kinda feel it would be great to host a marionette show there…

17. susan says:

Love the kitchen!

18. Cindy says:

Thanks you guys! For the paint, I made sure to use oil-based primer and indoor oil-based paint. They told me at Home Depot that they didn’t make oil-based indoor paint anymore, but I found some at Benjamin Moore. It went on really smoothly and is a super nice paint.

The linoleum is new as well. It’s a whole sheet from Congoleum, not vinyl tiles. It cost a little more to put it in on the diagonal, but I like it better that way.

19. Kim says:

Wow… I want that bar in my HOUSE! Gorgeous!

20. Laura says:

We just did a similar re-do of our out-dated kitchen, and it IS a lot of work, but worth it in pride alone. Great job- love the green color! Here in Illinois, there is no oil-based paint to be had, so we used Sherwin Williams ProClassic paint. This is the best (and most expensive) paint I’ve ever used, but it went on so smooth! I highly recommend sanding and priming. This Old House has an EXCELLENT tutorial that was invaluable to me to get near-professional quality results without using a paint sprayer.

21. Nicole says:

The before on the bar looks like 8′ ceilings, and the after looks like 10′. I’d love to know how they pulled that off!

22. jojo says:

Goodness, that is just the cutest kitchen ever! I think it would be a fun place to cook in. Great job!

23. Azucar says:

Cindy. You’re awesome. But you knew that already.

24. sarah says:

oh neat. i randomly ended up at the bodega last month when i was in town. it’s very inviting from the outside as well.

25. Anita says:

That kitchen is totally cute. It looks like the paint has some shading to it, is that just my bad eyesight or is the effect caused by the new black and white floor. I like it!

26. Saba says:

Really neat. Good job

27. Both of these makeovers look amazing. The use of the colour orange has added a real warmth to his bar. It is still stylish at the same time, with all that dark wood to compliment. Cindy’s kitchen also looks great, I love the 50’s/60’s diner look which works really nicely with the green and the patterned lino floor.

28. kamni says:

I think that kitchen is incredible..just paint and a new floor made the jump from a gloomy mishmash to lively and fun. I am wondering about the oil-based paint…is that better that latex water based paint? Why?

29. Katherine says:

This is beautiful! Where did you find your flooring?

30. WOW, the bar is really cool. Really warm and inviting. As for the kitchen, it goes to show what you can do on a budget.

31. sarah w says:

I too want to know why all the trouble for oil paint. And why is it not readily available anymore if it’s so good.

Smart of you to put the floor all angled like – perfect! Now I want ta new kitchen floor.

1. grace says:

sarah

oil paint goes on BEAUTIFULLY. i wish we could still use it, but the gasses they give off (and the chemicals in them) are highly toxic. that’s why you see a lot of water-based paints on the market now. but man, the smooth glide you get with oil based paint is amazing.

g

32. Leader says:

WOW,i can’t help myself falling in love with the bar,it;s really cool!!!

33. Evie says:

Goodness…this just fuels my love of penny tile…that bar is great!

34. What a cute retro vibe kitchen! I love that it’s so not cookie cutter, especially with that awesome green shade.

35. Katie says:

I want to see a picture of the pink glittered tile!

36. I’m not a fan of that kitchen, while I think the paint makes a difference you are still left with the original kitchen features. Bar looks good though:)

37. joan says:

Wow – what I’m impressed with is Grace playing hockey! Out here in Santa Barbara we have roller hockey and a women’s league and ice if you want to drive a bit. We’re a few donations away from our own ice rink :) but I love that girls into design-y girl-y stuff also like to play hockey. It makes me like Design Sponge even more now!

38. The kitchen looks so Beautiful

39. Katie says:

that kitchen is AMAZING!

40. viola says:

Best kitchen reno for ages. Black and white flooring is perfect and the green is refreshing. It makes you wonder why they made those gruesome kitchens. Unfortunately when you rent like me, they are everywhere.

41. Hungry Hippo says:

Re: Bar —Interesting…never thought of painting the ceiling to look like wooden panels…love the effect!

42. Maven says:

Both Gliddon and Behr still make oil based interior paint. I buy it from Home Depot in Tx.
    I used Gliddon’s glossy oil based porch and floor paint to re-finish my 1940’s BeautyKraft metal cabinets for my retro-kitchen. It did a very good job, and latex paint would never hold up to the wear and traffic they get from my 3 kids.

43. Maven says:

Is the ceiling in the bar painted or paneled with laminate flooring strips? If that’s paint, it’s remarkable!

44. Erin says:

Love Cindy’s kitchen – Fresh and interesting!

45. Shannon says:

THANK YOU for not tearing out those cabinets. What a lovely kitchen. I share Julie’s opintion regarding the ‘yawn’ factor of HGTV and I’m now entering the ‘gasp’ stage as I see demos again and again. It’s just such a waste.