before & after: liz’s table + solanah’s shelf

i really enjoy when people incorporate sayings, poetry, and quotations from literature and film into their homes. i’ve had a special poetry project i’ve wanted to work on framing for a while (this poem, handwritten by someone i love), so when i saw this makeover involving poetry i was instantly intrigued. liz from sticks and bricks made over a pine coffee table by hammering (!) in the letters of mary oliver’s poem, “a summer day“. liz says it took forever to hammer in, but was well worth it in the end. i can only imagine how nice that is to look down every day and see words that you love. great work, liz!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

CLICK HERE for solanah’s shelf makeover after the jump!

this small spice rack makeover comes from solanah at vixen vintage. i love the way she used paint to completely change the look of this rack. the hand-painted sign really transforms the rack from a sort of country-cozy-traditional look to something lighter and more feminine to match solanah’s kitchen. thanks for sharing, solanah!

1. katie says:

Love this desk! I’m using the last 2 lines of the poem for a letterpress card as a favor at an upcoming party.

2. That table is just plain fabulous! It’s so unique and special.

3. Beanie says:

Praying, by Mary Oliver

It doesn’t have to be
    the blue iris, it could be
    weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
    small stones; just
    pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don’t try
    to make them elaborate, this isn’t
    a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
    another voice may speak.

4. The hammered letters are a great idea! I’d love to use part of “Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore” by Elizabeth Bishop on a bookshelf.

5. rbjaneite says:

That table is amazing! I love it when words and quotes are used in decorating.

If/when I have my own house someday, I want to paint Bilbo’s Bath Song on the bathroom wall…

6. tjou-tjou says:

lovely work. i love it, when designers use type in a clever way. greetings from soccer-sunny-south-africa

7. barbara says:

love your table – very inspiring. What size are the letters? I went to harbour freight but didn’t know what size to buy. Thank you!

8. Tracy says:

oh my gosh, I thought to myself, someday I would like to do that – with that exact poem, before I read what you had hammered in.