sunset magazine: salvage yard

i’m a huge fan of sunset magazine, so whenever i hear a see an email from jess chamberlain in my inbox i get excited. last night jess sent over some images from their june issue that reminded her of your fun before & after projects from yesterday. in the june issue of sunset, jess and miranda jones worked with aaron jones to makeover some great salvaged pieces. they turned frames into a potting table, ladders into a potting station (love that one!), and beautiful old spools into a clever hose wrap. i thought their ideas were so fun i couldn’t resist kicking off today with them- i always love ending the week with inspiring ideas for weekend projects. thanks, jess! [photos by david fenton]

[image above: ladders, before. these were used to make the potting station above!]

CLICK HERE for two more salvage projects after the jump!

[image above: the windows above were turned into the beautiful table below]

[image above: this pile of glass lamp shades was turned into to the candelabra below]

1. bridget says:

oh my goodness these are fantastic ideas! I have had my eye on an old ladder, but have been unsure on how to use it. Well now I know! That is genius!! Thank- you for the inspiration!!

2. What fabulous ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. Have a great weekend.

3. Danielle says:

These are beautiful projects and perfect for the summer!! I am especially in love with the window table idea!

4. Noemi says:

this is so cool! i love it.

5. recycle, reduce, reuse and look fabulous the whole time! :)

6. Love these ideas! That ladder/potting station is amazing. So pretty! I want to do this. Now, where to find an old ladder?!

7. Roxy says:

I’ve got a ladder just like that, this is such a good idea.

8. hena tayeb says:

these are some great projects.. love the ladder idea and the storage solution for the hose..
    now all i need is a backyard!

9. melissa says:

Please post more garden projects, designs, ideas, DIY, like this one and less of cut flowers.

Thank you.

10. Holly says:

I love the idea of making a table from old windows. I will be stealing this idea!

11. Sam says:

The old spools to hold the hose is genius (and much more attractive than store-bought versions)!

12. Monica says:

We have had an old window sitting around for quite some time, I now know what I am going to do with it! thanks!

13. Megan says:

Nice! We saw the ladder set up when we were went to the Sunset Celebration Weekend, and it’s fabulous!

14. Celfcy says:

Thanks you so much for sharing.
    I love all your creative ideas!

15. jeannene says:

I love all of these ideas. I am getting ready to buy a house and start a garden. Can’t wait to try these out. Thanks

16. Catherine says:

One of the best things I’ve seen from a salvage yard was the small stained glass windows that you get at the top of windows and doors, in their frames, used as art.

17. Sarah says:

the ladder creation was simple and genius! very inspirational. i think this weekend will be junkyard rumaging and auction sales!!!

18. Katherine says:

Perfect! I have been hanging onto some old spools and was just about to part with them. Perfect idea to make them into a garden hose holder! Great idea, thank you!

19. Judith (backyard farmer) says:

How do I construct the window table? I am also trying to gauge the harvest date to maximize the production of my tomatoes and zucchinis. Any pointers?

20. I absolutely love everything on this page. I have an old weathered ladder in the garage that was destined to be reclaimed into a potting station! Great ideas!!