sneak peek: lauren nelson

lauren nelson
is a prop stylist and interior designer who dabbles with art and currently lives in cambridge, massachusetts with her fiance gabe. the two moved to massachusetts from california with nothing but their clothes, bikes, books and a handful of things they just couldn’t live without (quite opposite to the life of a prop stylist who makes a living collecting things). but what it meant was a blank canvas and a lot of creativity (tight budget meant lots of diy). so lauren re-purposed used and found furniture, salvaged materials, and employed local craftsmen to help (which is a great way to meet people, turn neighbors into friends, get to know a new area and support local businesses). we hope you’re as inspired by her home as we are! enjoy the full post below, and click here for additional images. {thanks, lauren!} anne

[photos by hector sanchez and lauren nelson]

[above: Our front door has the most character of anything in this house.  I am not a stain-glass kinda gal, but this is so old and geometric and charming. And the light that comes through in the late afternoon is amazing. We’ve never been cold-weather people, so coming to New England was an adjustment for both of us. We stay well-stocked with scarves and boots at the ready by the door. What can I say, scarves are in my blood, I don’t leave home without them.]

The coffee table is my favorite thing in this room. I found an old barn door at a salvaged wood lumber yard in Cambridge, bought it for $50 and planned to use it as a tabletop by raising it on old wheels. So I went on the hunt for the perfect casters and found some during a trip to NY, where I found a set of old steel caster wheels that were once used on railroad carts. I found a local woodworker (friend of my neighbor) to finish & seal the tabletop and attach the wheels.

The chippendale bamboo chairs were a hand-me-down from my mom. They came with dated floral covered seat cushions, so I had those recovered in a neutral herringbone fabric, and decided to keep the original finish (despite my original intentions of painting them a fun color).  I thought it just worked with the rest of the pieces in the room, and I can paint anytime if I get inspired! With neutral cushions, it’s a blank slate for any re-decorating mood I’m in.

My desk space is tiny, but I try to utilize the walls as much as possible, with fabrics, tearsheets, anything that inspires me ad my projects at the moment. My makeshift wire clothesline works well for to play around with fabrics, mixing and matching, and not take up needed desk space.

The white chairs are part of a dining set I bought from a sweet older couple in Waltham (found them on Craigslist) who invited me in for tea when I went to go pick them up.  That was my first week here, and it was a pleasant surprise after people warning me that people aren’t as friendly in Boston as in CA.  They were stained an unattractive brown with seat cushions in a dated rust-colored fabric.  I primed and painted them an antique white, then covered them in a blue & white ikat fabric.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Lauren’s sneak peek after the jump!

The table was one of the only pieces of furniture I bought from a store, Anthropologie – a favorite. I had been eying it for a months, but out of my budget.  Then saw it for 80% off because it was defective – the base was tilted.  All it took was a rubber mallet and some muscle to pound it into shape! The vintage glass jars are from antique shops in MA and CT, and the large soda bottle in the middle is from a trip to Argentina. I like to put fresh cut flowers in these during spring & summer, and use them on the dinner table.

Cooking is a second love, maybe even a first, next to decorating. I keep my spices and loose leaf teas within arms reach on my magnetic stainless steel board I mounted on the wall near the stove.

The T-back dining chairs came from a sweet old man up the street from me who had a warehouse of antiques that he’d been collecting for decades and restoring – anything and everything you could imagine. I recovered a few of the seats that were covered in an old printed fabric. I kept the leather ones as is – I loved the look of the old worn leather.  Taking apart the seats was like a time warp into the past, seeing the padding they used to use (shredded raffia-like wood) and the rusted tacks. the overhead lights in nearly all of the rooms are pendants from old schoolhouses that my landlord installed when he renovated several years ago. I fell in love with the place as soon as we walked in to view it.

I’m a big fan of using mix-matched dinnerware and vintage silverware – you can find loads at estate sales and on Ebay.

The idea behind this room stemmed from my approach to cooking recently: rustic, simple, communal. That starts with a big table.  I’ve always wanted a huge wood slab dining table, long enough for tons of people to enjoy meals together.  I partnered with a local woodworker (a friend of my upstairs neighbor) to source oak from fallen trees outside of his woodshop.  I sketched a design, and he worked his magic to make us our dream farm table.  I love that the wood was used from an old tree that had died, and had been sitting in his woodshop for years waiting for a purpose.  We use the table all the time since we love to entertain.  Having a local CSA share, with more food than we can possible eat ourselves, we’re constantly cooking dinners for friends & neighbors.  I’ve also used the table for my Homegrown Supperclub dinners too.

I made the shelf from a piece of salvaged walnut wood (from the same lumbar yard), cut it in half, and then mounted it on the wall with brackets from Anthropologie that I painted.  The other half of wood is in our kitchen.  I found the brass & silver candlesticks at a local thrift shop and perched air plants in each one. I sometimes keep potted herbs and bud vases up here too.

The wall of frames is always changing….I bought a ton of frames from thrift shops, and deconstructed them when I got home.  I started with empty frames,  layered with no pictures….and sometime we rotate in photos we take from travels, and weekend trips. I took the glass out of the frames because it felt less formal that way, and shows of the texture of the paper I have them printed on.

Gabe’s always been into music, and luckily this house gave us enough room to set up his turn tables AND have enough space for my office. He plays records at local bars, and the painting above his table is one I made while living on Los Angeles.

I love reinventing my bedroom with each move.  I’m usually a huge fan of color, but this time around I wanted a simple, soothing palette of grey, black and white.  With the exception of the red lamp because I couldn’t help myself. After lugging it 3,000 miles I figured it deserved the spotlight in a neutral room.

On our dresser, we have a collection of odds and ends from both Gabe and I, mostly from our travels.

1. kay* says:

LOVE. everything has a story and i can just imagine the stories behind each piece. perfect.

2. love her craig’s list chairs with ikat fabric! brilliant.

3. Natasha says:

Really, really lovely. Would you please share the name of that watery light green paint on the walls of the dining room?

4. Jürgen says:

The dining table is beautiful, but my favorite is the coffee table is a great idea. Industrial wheels are spectacular.

5. Love this sneak peek! I’m intrigued by what looks like gladioli on the wall set into mounts to look like deer antlers? Quite inspired! and how did she do that?

6. Julie says:

It’s beautiful! Any idea where the wall hanging plants came from? I believe that’s what they are…thanks

7. Pink Pig says:

love this sneak peak. the coffee table is fabulous and i love your style. thanks for the inspiration.

8. shannon says:

does anyone know what shade of pale blue the walls are painted in the bedroom shot?

9. Maura says:

Wonderful sense of style and such warm and humble descriptions.

If cooking and decorating are your first loves, gardening must be up there too. I’m inspired by the geometric flowers and houseplants. I’d love to hear more about the staghorn ferns on the walls – how are they planted and cared for?

10. Your house is beautiful. What a great way to reuse and re-purpose. Very inspiring!

11. Karen says:

Beautiful home! To me it always refreshing to see homes that are DIY but don’t have that crappy DIY look. Ok- that didn’t sound like such a great compliment, but I swear it is!

12. ThistledownStudio says:

You were right about the chairs. Lime, hotpink or orange would have looked cool but I think it would be really dated in a couple of years. Going with your instincts is best.

13. alison says:

As a fellow Cambridge-ian, it’s always inspiring to know what amazing things your neighbors could be doing… and with resources right down the street. Really makes me want to take my diy to the next level!

14. Alice says:

Wow, I absolute love this home. It looks so beautiful yet comfortable. I would also love to know the colour of the paint in the bedroom. And I love the empty frames as wall decor. Genius!

15. Morgen says:

Oh, I love the coffee table. One day when the kids are grown I will get to have a cool coffee table. My kids would see that as an indoor roller coaster.

16. Hi everyone,
    First thank you for all the wonderful comments – you’re too kind!

I also wanted to answer some questions…

1. Yes, I am taking new clients! Please e-mail me at to discuss. You also can see more of my work on

2. the rugs are from West Elm – still selling last time I checked

3. paint colors – don’t have on hand and am overseas…will have to get back to you on that

4. staghorn ferns – I’m starting to see them more and more at nurseries, call ahead and ask if they have staghorn ferns. I soak the bases once every 1-2 weeks in water for 20 mins, and they’re good to go.

thanks again D*S family!

17. Keegan says:

What a beautifully styled home! I’m in love with the wood dining table.

Does anyone know the name/designer of the yellow and gray fabric hanging above the desk?

18. Sarah says:

Amazing home! I also live in Cambridge and am wondering which lumber yard you found some of your salvaged pieces. If anyone has any good suggestions for someplace in the cambridge area please let me know :)

19. Tracey says:

Such a great space! I love all the things they did to make it their own!

20. Stephanie says:

I’d love to know where the blue and white ikat fabric came from…

21. joni says:

i’d also love to know where i can get the blue ikat fabric, been looking for something exactly like this!

22. Tracy says:

I’d love to know where the yellow and gray fabric tacked on the wall above the desk is from. Thanks!

23. That coffee table is my dream come true!

24. Kelsey says:

Wow! Lauren you are a truly talented designer!! One of my very favorites that I’ve seen lately for sure!

25. Tia Sara de Hirsch says:

Dear Laureen,you transmitted,a very cozy home,and hope you carry all this beatiful stuff to L.A.,but I am sure ,that you`ll make a home wherever you end with Gaby,to both of you ,lot of LOVE for your togetherness,from URUGUAY,Tìa Sara de Hirsch

26. I can see why the coffee table is your favorite! LOVE. Thank you for sharing your home — it’s warm and cozy and filled with artisic touches. I just love it!!

27. vanessa says:

Yes! Where is the blue and white ikat fabric from?

28. Cassie says:

any chance you can tell me the name of the yellow fabric pinned up on the wall above the desk – i have been looking for something exactly like that!

29. Monica says:

The coffee table is so amazing and inspired. Fantastic place!

30. Natalie says:

Cassie! I was just typing the same thing when I saw your question! Yellow fabric anyone????

31. Lauren says:

Alrighty, I am back from a 2 month traveling hiatus in Africa, and can now hopefully answer all of your questions (apologies for the delay!):

Ikat fabric: Pindler & Pindler (sorry don’t have pattern #)

Yellow & Gray Fabric: Duralee 20946, 66 Yellow

Lumbar Yard: Longleaf Lumber

Paint colors:
    (All ACE)
    Kitchen & living room: Desert Palm D23-3
    Dining room: Fresh Olive, D26-3
    Office: Tara 191 E
    (can’t find bedroom color for the life of me)

I think that covers it…?
    Happy decorating!

32. Deanna says:

I love the antique chairs with the IKat fabric – where did you get the fabric?

33. I’m dying to find out where you got that little white/cream filing cabinet to the right of your desk. Is it vintage? Or what is the brand? Thanks so much!!

34. KiKi LaTore says:

Lauren : You said you got the casters in NYC – any help in finding more? They’re PERFECT!

1. grace says:

hi kiki!

i’ve gotten nice casters at home depot in nyc, but you can also find vintage ones at olde good things and ebay/etsy.

35. Dez says:

I was wondering what fabric designer that yellow swatch all the way to the left above your desk is? I really love it!

36. SparkE Marin says:

“My, my, my…my dear,
    Lauren, you instinctively have sublime taste, creativity and talent, surging through your veins. Honesty and boldness, along with forthright thoughtful design statements abound without being fussy. Effortless style and grace permeate your rooms. The mere fact that you had a spare room to very cleverly use as Gabe’s dj studio, exemplifies your inclusion of your partner’s hobbies, while clearly making your home day to day livable, not only for yourself and guests, but for your man. Believe you me, YOU are a whirling dervish design force to be reckoned with…. kudos!”