sneak peek: lauren bradshaw

by

lauren bradshaw and her husband of four years, joey, moved into this 1925 crafsman-style home in the thornton park neighborhood of downtown orlando last fourth of july. lauren has been a life long crafter, who began creating needle-felted birds three years ago, while joey is a musician and photographer. both have strong opinions on design and had a great time decorating the house together (which needed a lot of work). joey wants the house to feel like a museum (like in the goonies), and meanwhile lauren enjoys incorporating modern artists. the good news is they both love mid-century design, so they always had a middle ground to reference along the way. we hope you love their place (which is now home to the latest addition of the family, henry, who arrived a few weeks ago) as much as we did! additional and full-sized images can be found here. {thanks, lauren, and anna bond, for the tip!}anne

[above: Our living room is a comfy place to hang out thanks to the Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams sectional that we purchased a few years ago.  Most of the pillows are from Anthropologie, along with the rug and the coffee table.  The toile chair is vintage, and was recovered for us as a gift from Joey’s parents (there is a coordinating chair in our bedroom).]

Joey and I both love finding antiques, and we purchased the globe and bulldog from our favorite  booth at Orange Tree Antiques Mall in Winter Park.  The camera is a functionig Rolleicord that Joey uses to take photographs from time to time.  We found the prints in the back of an Anthropologie, the sconces are from Schoolhouse Electric and the mirror is Restoration Hardware.

Our house has a traditional craftsman floor plan, so most of the house is visible from our living room.  Because of this, we took a long time selecting the paint colors to coordinate the house, and I love being able to see the mint green kitchen through the gray living and dining rooms.

Most of the pieces in our dining room are vintage finds either from eBay or local shops.  This is the part of the house that Joey wants to feel most like a museum, so we’re slowly collecting curiosities and finding places for them.  Right now the curiosity count is one.  It’s a work in progress.

One of my favorite finds in the house is our chandelier.  During our visit to Italy last year, I loved all the amazing Murano glass chandeliers, and I dreamed of having one but didn’t have thousands of dollars to spend.  Luckily, we found this replica on sale at Potterybarn for only $150.  The dining table is from local mid-century furniture store 1618, the Eames chairs are from eBay and the red chairs are from Anthropologie.  I made the curtains myself using fabric from Ikea.  The white record table was the first piece of furniture my dad ever refinished when he was a teenager, and it ended up being the first piece of furniture that Joey and I refinished as well.

CLICK HERE for the rest of lauren’s sneak peek after the jump!

Another of my favorites in the house is the Draper dresser set we purchased from eBay and had refinished a couple of months ago.  The Victorian-era Thomas Blinks hunting print was a gift from Joey’s grandparents and it is dated 1895.  The peacock feathers are an homage to the peacocks that roam our neighborhood and come knocking on our front door looking for food.

This buffet was purchased on eBay and was built the same year as our house.  Most of the items are from antique stores, except the beaver skull from Paxton Gate in San Francisco.  This beaver skull is Joey’s proudest curiosity.

When we purchased our house, the hallway was covered in grasscloth wallpaper.  Even though it was hideous and taking it down was awful, I’m grateful for it, because it gave me the idea to use the Cole and Son “Woods” wallpaper.  We added the chair rail in the hallway so that Henry will never be tempted to color on the wallpaper, since it could resemble a coloring book to a little boy.  We found the lawyer’s bookcase on eBay, and Joey got me the Eames rocker from Modernica for Christmas a few years ago.

During our renovation, we completely gutted the kitchen, and we rebuilt it from the ground up. We installed new cabinets and countertops, and we also purchased new appliances.  This worked out well, because I was excited to get our tall counter depth refrigerator, and Joey convinced me to let him install a gas stove.  I already had my grandmother’s bottle cap stools, so we made sure to include a small bar so that we could use them, and now it’s a great place to eat breakfast.  The Calendar print is by Claire Nereim, and the canisters are Orla Kiely for Target.

Behind the kitchen is our laundry room, which we created during our renovation.  The floor plan for the back part of the house was a bit weird, so we reconfigured it and gained a laundry room/craft room in the process.

The print above the microwave is from one of my favorites, Matte Stephens, the pear and apple canisters were Etsy finds, and the light fixture is Schoolhouse Electric.

I love the way our bedroom has come together over time.  We’ve purchased the various items over the course of the last four years and combined them with family pieces.  The wardrobe belonged to my great-grandmother, we found the nightstands in North Carolina, and our bedding is from Anthropologie.

The farmhouse dresser belonged to my grandfather, and my dad refinished it a few years ago.  The stitching piece above the dresser is Maxine Sutton, and the print above the chair is “Web of Life” by Charley Harper.

Henry’s room doubles also Joey’s photo workroom.  We found the desk on a trip to West Palm Beach, the Thomas Blinks dog print is another gift from Joey’s grandparents, the ribbon on the wall is from my friend Hayley Carmo who is the creator of Kindly, and the print is Matte Stephens.

For Henry’s nursery, we were able to use the rocking chair where my grandmother used to rock me.  We weren’t sure if we’d have it recovered, but once we got it in the room it worked really well once we draped the crocheted blanket over it.  The peacock lamp, found prints, prints made by Joey, and the Rikshaw elephant pillow from a friend in San Fracisco round out the rocking area of the nursery.  The second Draper dresser functions as a changing table and clothing storage, although I’m not sure how long we’ll let Henry keep it!  The print above the lamp is by my friend Anna Bond of Rifle Design.

Above Henry’s crib is my favorite alphabet poster from Anna, and items on the shelves include a Fern Animal from Ashley Anna Brown, a woodland creature from Astulabee and two of the first birds I made.

The elephant hamper was a gift from my good friends at my baby shower, and the rug is from Ikea.

We created our master bathroom during renovation.  The previous bathroom was about four feet wide and included a plastic shower that blocked out the existing windows.  We picked out every detail in the new bathroom, including the marble basketweave tile and the clawfoot tub.  I found the enamel pharmacy stand in Washington DC, during a big rainstorm and I had to ship it home.  A good friend carried it about 10 blocks with me in the rain, and I am so thankful because I love it!

My craft area was an added surprise after we reconfigured the back part of the house to create our master bath and laundry room.  The laundry room was large enough to have a desk and shelves, so that I have a place to sew and store fabric and crafts.  I loved the Target collaborations with Liberty of London and Orla Kiely, and all the bins come in handy for storage.  The bird plates were my grandmother’s, and the daisy lamp was found at Renningers in Mount Dora.

The guest bath was also gutted down to the bare walls during the renovation.  We wanted to keep our house true to its period, so we used subway tile, marble hex tile and a pedestal sink.  The bath hardware is from Restoration Hardware, the mirror was found at Anthropologie, and the print is Sugarloop.

1. Becs says:

LOVE IT!!!! Specially the black and white bathroom! The brick fireplace and the cot! YUM!

2. Cool!,amazing n attractive post.Its Great,thanks to share.

3. Sarah says:

I LOVE this house. It’s so gorgeous! This is definitely going in my inspiration homes folder. Great job!

4. Rin says:

Gosh maybe I can be brave and have dark walls in my bathroom too! Beautiful home. Thanks for sharing.

5. Lidette says:

I’m sorry to be the lone dissenter, but black walls in a baby’s room…harsh.

6. ethyl says:

your kitchen renovation is great. i’m freaking out about my own. what is the brand of your stainless steel counter-depth refrigerator? it might do the trick for me. thanks

7. What a great sneak peek! I’d love to know where the black & white lamp shade on the dresser of curiosities is from?

8. tao says:

中国 摆渡软件世界 来临!very good!

9. Robin says:

Ditto on wanting to know where the sectional is from. Also, the coffee table.

Such a beautiful home… and very inspiring.

10. Thanks for all the nice compliments on our house! I must give credit to Anna from Door Sixteen for the inspiration for the black bathroom. You should check out her black bathroom. She’s at http://www.doorsixteen.com.

Henry’s wall color is actually my favorite in the whole house, because it is a navy that goes somewhat gray during the daytime. You can sort of tell in the photo closeup of the crib, because the crib is black but the walls are more navy. We painted that room four or five times before actually finding the color we liked.

Here are the sources for the items that were asked about:

Fridge: Summit FFBF28 purchased from AJMadison.com. I love it!

Pedestal sink: 24-inch Porcher “Lutezia”; faucet and toilet are Toto.

Bedroom lamps: “String-of-pearls” from Anthropologie; the crystal lamp was a gift and I’m not sure from where.

Dining room lamp: vintage crystal lamp; shade was from Anthropologie’s sale room about two months ago.

Sectional: purchased at Hold Everything in 2006 before they went out of business, but you can still order it. I’m pretty sure Bloomingdale’s carries it. It is called the LA Collection.

Bedroom sheers: Opaque Linen Window Panel from West Elm.

Elephant hamper: Homedecorators.com.

11. Star Bossom says:

I love the elephant hamper and the dark walls. The rooms seemed soothing for being so dark.

12. Rach says:

I just love your house its filled with such great personality + your colour choice + style is fantastic!!
    I’ve got a couple of sugarloops in my house too……….the cat under the tree is my fav.

13. Kate says:

This may be my favorite sneak peek ever! I love every single room, but my favorite has to be the guest bath. I’m a sucker for white subway tile. The yellow accents and the contrast between the paint and the tile really pop!

14. Abbey says:

fantastic! I adore that chandelier in the dining room esp — and those striped curtains! One of my favorite sneak peeks yet!

15. Lauren says:

this is my favorite sneak peek ever. i love/want everything!

16. Susan says:

That’s it. I’m painting my bedroom black.

17. Meg says:

I feel like I’m in my own home!! From all the paint colors and little pops of color everywhere, right down to the same lawyer’s bookshelf! Great house!

18. What a wonderful home. Thanks for the great sneak peek. I especially love the marble topped buffet and the family heirloom wardrobe – and the bathroom. The pharmacy stand was totally worth the ten block walk. :)

19. Serap says:

What a lovely home!!

20. marianne says:

i love it, beautiful colors and perfect house!!!

21. Karen says:

Fabulous!!!!! Love the craft room lamp!!!

22. Lucy says:

I love the dark colour in the bathroom. Is it dark Navy or black, and did you paint the ceiling in this as well. Love your style!

23. Ashley says:

This is a little late coming, but can any one explain why and how one would lighten a paint by 50%? I’m considering the same color (BM paper white) for my condo but I’m a little confused why you would lighten a paint by 50% to compinsate for extra light? The color looks fantastic so I’m curious how I can replicate a similair result.

24. The bathroom is almost a black. Henry’s room is more navy. We did paint the ceiling in the bathroom the same color as the walls.

Ashley–we actually had Paper White darkened by 50%, so that it would show as gray in our living/dining room, rather than nearly white. Our living/dining rooms get so much light, that the color was showing up as almost white, rather than gray like we wanted. Our bedroom gets hardly any light, so we kept Paper White the same, and it looks gray as it should. So if your room gets a lot of light, then you could darken Paper White. But if it’s low on light, you can try Paper White as is. You can email me with any questions!

25. OMG!! This is Jenny waving madly at you from across the street!! :O) There is currently a peacock hanging out on our porch – we’ve been feeding it sunflower seeds. Your house looks incredible – absolutely gorgeous and so wonderfully eclectic. Hopefully we’ll be next on the block to get ours finished up…

26. joe says:

hi, would you mind sharing where you got your tv stand and living room side table?

27. Ashley says:

i LOVE all of the colors in your house. my husband and i just painted our bathroom a dark blue almost black. i would love to know where you got the towel in your bathroom. i’ve been looking everywhere for a towel like that!

28. Karen says:

So beautiful!!!! Do you remember the name of the pattern of the bedding from Anthropologie in the master?

29. Joe: they are actually bathroom cubes from Hold Everything, which went out of business a while ago unfortunately!
    Ashley: the green towels are from Anthropologie and I think I’ve seen some similar in recent months.
    Karen: The bedding was Ring of Asters (I think?) from Anthro. Some of it was on sale recently. So glad you like it!

30. kat says:

I know this is old – but I was wondering if we could get a breakdown of all the paint colours/brands – I love them all!

31. pauline says:

in defense (even though not really necessary) of the ‘dark’ nursery …

the current fashion of pastel/white/lightgrey nurseries is actually not that necessarily beneficial to a newborn or very small child. there has been much evidence on the positive effect of ‘uterus red’ towels & lighting on the relaxation of babies during & just after their delivery that i guess it makes sense to create a cosy ‘cavelike’ atmosphere to give them a similar sense of being cradled by their surrounds. i do have to admit that our daughter sleeps in a white bedroom though .. albeit with sheer orangey patterned blinds to warm up the whole thing a little ..

anyhow – thought i’d chip that in .. as i L.O.V.E. this real home

32. Jolene says:

Where did you find those little yellow buds that you have on your fireplace mantle and in your bathroom. And what might they be called? I’m always looking for natural flower/stems to put in vases as decor, without it looking too “fake”, and I LOVE those yellow buds!

33. Kaitlin says:

What kind of curtain rods did you use for the LV and dining room? Is it solid brass? Your color coordination and simplistic design style is so real and warm that you can actually imagine real people living it in everyday!

34. I Love those stools! Very beautiful space!

35. Lauren says:

I LOVEEEEEEEEE THAT CRIB!!!!

36. Marleen Maglana says:

I loved it!! Everything is really beautiful!

37. kate says:

I want a crib like that! please tell me, where to buy it..