sneak peek: catherine hammerton

by

london-based designer-maker catherine hammerton‘s work bridges a handmade aesthetic which draws on traditional techniques for silk-screen printing and hand embroidery, while also working with cutting edge digital technology.  today we’re thrilled to be sharing her home that was recently in april issue of elle decoration. stay tuned in a couple weeks for more from catherine on d*s, but in the meantime, you can check out more of her product designs here. {thanks catherine!} -anne

[photos by brent derby; styling by ali heath of plum lifestyle]

CLICK HERE for the rest of catherine’s sneak peek after the jump!

1. Lisa says:

I love the red kitchen cabinets and the blue and white tiles – and everything else!

2. robin says:

so full of light and color! beautiful space!

3. Sara says:

adorable!

4. maranda says:

oh my goodness it’s perfect! i’m moving into a new apartment soon-thanks for the inspiration! if my place turns out half as cute as this i’ll be thrilled!

5. Gino says:

Love the idea of the couch behind the counter and actually works for the space. This will work for small places.

6. Ellen says:

I was a little surprised to see so many white walls, but I guess when you’re making new designs all the time you need a blank canvas to work off of.

LOVE the chair in image 8. Crazy beautiful

7. beth says:

I love the “letters are letters” screenprint in the first photo. Any idea where it’s from?

8. I love the pattern of the dress matching the table cloth with its country style flowers combined with a collage of squares and dots!

9. Karin says:

The ‘Letters are letters’ poster is extracted from Eric Gill’s ‘Typography’. It is hand printed by Hand & Eye Letterpress in London, http://www.handandeye.co.uk.

I think the red one is sold out, but green version available from Ben Pentreath, http://www.benpentreath.com. This is the version I have!

10. So cute! I love the red and turquoise, with some pink mixed in!

11. Shm says:

very cute! looks like a home where the strawberry shortcake doll might have lived!

12. Daniella says:

Wow! So bright a cheery! I am dying to find glass jars like tha with the lid and yellowed rubber (phtoto7)! Any idea where to get those??? I surprisingly can’t find them anywhere!

13. denise says:

dream kitchen!

14. Katelin M says:

This is my dream home!

xo

15. kat says:

Really lovely. The photo of Catherine was also charming.

16. Alyn says:

love. love love.

17. kim says:

you can tell someone interesting lives here right away. so original and lively. positively love your space, especially the kitchen.

18. Glen says:

Nice, tight and clean.

19. Beverley says:

I love the ‘letters are letters’ print in the first photo. Could someone tell me where it’s from please?

20. Anne says:

I love that red polka dot dog in front of the door that prevents drafts. Where does one find one of those?

21. Melissa says:

I am in love with this space!!! The kitchen is a place where I could see myself creating!

22. Love this space. It’s so light and airy! Very inspirational.

23. Jenny says:

I love that sweet dress hanging in the dining room. Is that a purchase, or a DIY? It looks like it might be made of paper? I’d love to hear more about it! Thanks for the inspiration!

24. damaris says:

can I move into your home? I’m really nice.

25. So bright and cheerful! I love the natural floors but they do not work in my house!

The Designer Insider

26. Catherine says:

Hello!

Thank you for all of your lovely lovely comments – all very much appreciated (I am blushing!)

Thanks to Anne and Grace for the post and the lovely Ali Heath and
    Brent Darby who shot the feature.

Letters are Letters is indeed from the very lovely Ben Pentreath, on Lambs Conduit Street in London, who have limited edition prints from Hand and Eye. There are many to covert and I am sure that they would happily ship to the USA…

Our spotty dog is from Kath Kidston, and is the best guard dog we have ever had… so far…

The paper dress, above our table, was made by me as a prop for an art exhibition – I am hoping to do a series of them as part of a personal project later in the year, so watch this space!

I have a NEW website going live in the next couple of weeks so please do keep an eye on http://www.catherinehammerton.com for new and exciting news and products!

27. koolaroo says:

sweet and lovely. it doesn’t look like she spent alot of cash but alot of style thought and love has gone into this house.

28. Hannah says:

Where are the pillows on the couch from?

29. Oh my! the perfect house, stripped wood floors, white walls, colourful detail, beautiful, just beautiful, I want to live there!

30. sarah says:

oh I like it. It’s fresh and crisp af the summer in Britain!
    Love love love

31. Eva says:

what a great place! Nice light and all those colours. Makes me happy!

32. Jane says:

Image #8. That inspiration wall. Divine. That chair looks positively comfy to create in too! LOVE.

33. Johanna says:

Very pretty. I love the bright space with little pops of blue and red. Very charming and girly. Love it!

34. Sally says:

Love the style. But have already seen this before. Was in the UK version of Elle Decoration last month.

35. happisis says:

sweet and lovely place. love it!

36. Amee says:

i must know where you got that amazing teal toaster? love your style!

37. Catherine says:

Have just seen your gorgeous Queen Stamp rug in the March issue of House Beautiful and the stamp cushion. Your blog is beautful.
    I am in Queensland Australia.
    all the best
    c

38. Catherine says:

i have just “spotted: the red and white polka dot sausage dog draft blocker….oh that is just so divine and hilarious. i LOVE it.

39. eva says:

cuteness galore.

40. zms says:

I’m moving in too!

41. Milly says:

Beautiful space! I couldn’t get the links to work though.

42. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Milly –
    I’m not sure what you’re referring to, all the links worked for me. Can you be more specific? Thanks! Amy