30 Stunning Stairways

ac and i walk up three steep flights of stairs every day to get up to our apartment, so i have a deep appreciation for people who spent extra time designing beautiful staircases. if you have to trudge up them, they might as well be beautiful, right? so i decided to go through the 500+ sneak peeks from our archives and pull out 30 of my favorite staircases. they range from sleek and modern to colorful and whimsical so i hope you’ll enjoy the selection!

[image above: still in my top 3 favorite homes i’ve ever run: jessica helgerson’s design for a portland-area home]

[image above: i love scott engler’s staircase and its chocolate brown wall]

[image above: i love the painted detail on kat heyes’ staircase. it’s like a beautiful wooden runner]

[image above: the amazing patterned moss staircase in sato’s moss house]

[image above: the dark sophisticated staircase in gemma ahern’s home]

CLICK HERE for 25 more stylish staircases after the jump!

[image above: this modern open staircase is stunning. it belongs to ombline de kersabiec’s french home]

[image above: ok. so this is a ladder and not a staircase, but it’s my favorite set of stairs i’ve ever seen inside a house. from jill’s san francisco home]

[image above: the colorful staircase in karen barlow’s manchester home]

[image above: melissa’s industrial LA loft staircase]

[image above: maxine sutton’s amazing carpeted stairs]

[image above: i love the red carpet on sibella court’s stairs]

[image above: the colorful living room and staircase in supermarket sarah’s home]

[images above: charise harper’s playful staircases. one allows for artwork and chalkboard drawings, and the other uses a ruler as a handrail!]

[image above: the incredible tilework in the staircase of alex from alan the gallant’s apartment]

[image above: i love this purple wallpaper in jeremy mcelwain’s home]

[image above: more amazing stairways from interior designer jessica helgerson- this one with a mirror mural]

[image above: nina gottlieb’s wallpapered stairs]

[images above: dramatic staircases in the brooklyn home of maya marzolf]

[image above: the staircase in fitzhugh’s brooklyn home is just as gorgeous as the rest of the house. perfection from top to bottom]

[image above: eleanor’s colorful staircase]

[image above: harper’s sunny staircase (love the surfboard)]

[image above: the cozy country stairs at nancy lendved’s home]

[image above: dramatic stairs in caryn grossman’s atlanta home]

[image above: i love the wooden banisters on alethea’s staircase]

[image above: anne lise kjaer’s staircase]

[image above: a stunning staircase from the home of two pratt associate architecture professors]

[image above: charming wooden stairs and a great poster in the home of justin and michelle demers]

[image above: cool modern stairs in frank viva’s home with a dramatic hanging light]

1. rachel says:

lovely! lots of my favourites are definitely in this list.

2. Obube says:

so great design. But, could you give the solution how to make stylish, great and match stairways in the limitation space? Thanks

3. Beautiful interiors, the patterned moss staircase is amazing!

4. Hilaire says:

I love Jill’s san fran home picture of her ladder. the cubbies with all the shoes and purses are a great use of space. My second favorite is alethea’s staircase i am a sucker for the detailing of the wood on the railing :)

5. Claire says:

i love stairs! they lend their own personality to each room

6. Very cool. Nice to see some dark colors used.

7. I was needing some staircase inspiration. Thanks!

8. I could look at these all day!

9. christine says:

I love these! Keep up the Sneak Peek Best Of’s.

10. Sara(Mrs.B.) says:

I’m loving the categorized sneak peeks, I hope you’ll keep it up as you archive.

1. grace says:

sara

we definitely will- that was what inspired the “best of” series we’re doing- when the redesign of d*s launches all homes (new and old) will be searchable by size, location, style, etc.

g :)

11. Danielle says:

I really love the hanging lights in the first photo… Any idea who designed them?

12. We haven’t done anything with the stairs in our 1860’s house except pull off the scary carpet that was there-and that was four years ago…thanks for the much needed inspiration!

13. Stephanie says:

Thank you so much for doing this! We are looking to knock out some walls and re-do our staircase soon and this was great inspiration!

14. Kristin says:

I’m loving these “best of”s. Every sneak peek I look for the staircase, always my favorite part of a house. What a wonderful rush of staircase love :) Thanks.

15. Utterly inspirational. Gorgeous photography! I loved browsing through it.

16. Christine says:

ohmygosh, that moss!!! WOW.

17. AshleyAnn says:

Perfect timing! I was online last night trying to find ideas for how to change my standard builder carpeted staircase and gave up because it was too difficult to find a good collection. So thank you. My husband won’t be so excited I found this post though!

18. Lisa Mackin says:

Love Gemma Ahern’s space. I tend to admire beautiful light filled spaces but live in a rich dark space like Gemma’s – and love it. I’m drawn to old, antique, and eclectic – like living in an old sepia print.

19. robin says:

i like the bat on the brown wall!

20. Kirsty says:

Was looking for some blonde wood inspiration! Thanks for posting.

21. Love them all. And that poster about the fonts is fantastic!

22. Debra says:

I love these beautifully decorated stair case inspiration. It makes me look at all the possibilities that you can create with a stair case area.

23. Joan says:

Oh how I dream of having stairs in my next home. I love the ladder/staircase!

24. KT says:

Type poster made me laugh out loud.

25. Ronnie says:

love the wooden floors in the third picture!

26. Sarah says:

Fabulous post. It’s amazing what a little TLC can do for a stair case.

27. Jaminda says:

Grace,
    How about a best of “window treatments” especially nontraditional window treatments for the for the curtain-phobe.

28. erin says:

our landlord is letting us repaint our stairs in the front and back entrances. this was just the inspiration i needed!

29. Chaucee says:

If I could live in a place like this I’d probably never leave home!

30. Tia says:

One of my favorite things is the Portland home with the tree in the first picture. What kind of tree is this?

31. Julie Rackley says:

Jessicaa Helgerson’s whiplash curves, in the mirrorred hallway mural , are fabulous! I thought it looked liked an entrance to the Paris Metro!

32. Shiv Kumar says:

Beautiful interior and stair design..

33. Karen says:

So many great spaces. It’s nice to see shots from 4 or 5 years ago – before every room became all white with a list of where possessions are from.